The Student Room Group

Warwick or UCL econ?

as captioned! I have unconditionals for both.
Personally, I'd go for Warwick.
Original post by python03
x

There's little between the two courses/prestige, but I would go for UCL purely from a career perspective.

1) The London advantage when it comes to networking and saving time getting to and back from interviews. An interview whilst studying outside of London means either a 4/5am start to get into London, or travelling the night before. Repeating this throughout the second/ third year of your degree can be tiring.

2) Your network will be stronger, as there are more UCL alums working in the city than that of Warwick.

Of course, if you do not intend to work in the city, the above is irrelevant.

C
Reply 3
Original post by RooT_Fifteen
There's little between the two courses/prestige, but I would go for UCL purely from a career perspective.

1) The London advantage when it comes to networking and saving time getting to and back from interviews. An interview whilst studying outside of London means either a 4/5am start to get into London, or travelling the night before. Repeating this throughout the second/ third year of your degree can be tiring.

2) Your network will be stronger, as there are more UCL alums working in the city than that of Warwick.

Of course, if you do not intend to work in the city, the above is irrelevant.

C

Thanks for your advice, I do want to look at banking opportunities in Ldn. If I do go to UCL do I need a 1st to have a competitive application, or is a 2:1 sufficient?
Original post by python03
x

the grade you get is pretty much irrelevant, as you should be in a position to secure internship -> full time position before graduation.

if you don't and need to apply for off cycle etc after graduation, 2i is enough.
warwick for econ
london advantage doesnt really exist, its only one hour away by train come on..
Warwick is far more prestigious for economics. go with Warwick. Plus the campus may be in an empty field outside of Coventry, but at least it's not in London.
Original post by HangeeTw
warwick for econ
london advantage doesnt really exist, its only one hour away by train come on..

This is exactly what i thought for uni. But there's a couple of undeniable facts:

1. Networking opportunities are orders of magnitude different. At non-London, you're stuck with mostly career fares and campus events. There's so much more going on in London, and most students simply cannot afford the time/cost to attend these if studying outside London.

2. I too was naive about the train times and hence paid my price. The truth is that Coventry to Euston takes 1 hour. Once you include travel time to the station, travel time within London, and some spare time to account for potential delays/transport links, it takes closer to 3 hours to get to canary wharf. If you are heading in for 8:30 to attend a 9am interview, it's incredibly painful - especially if the trains are screwed.

Nothing against Warwick or its course - just pointing out the geographical disadvantage when it comes to finance.

As for the alums, Economics alum networks are similar between the two institutions. However, UCL produces many more financiers from other degrees across both arts and sciences.

Original post by CollectiveSoul
Warwick is far more prestigious for economics. go with Warwick. Plus the campus may be in an empty field outside of Coventry, but at least it's not in London.

Not sure where the far more prestigious is sourced from. The prestige, teaching quality and study content is extremely similar between the two institutions when viewed from both academia and industry. However, I would agree that Warwick has a nice campus.
(edited 5 years ago)
This is exactly what i thought for uni. But there's a couple of undeniable facts:

1. Networking opportunities are orders of magnitude different. At non-London, you're stuck with mostly career fares and campus events. There's so much more going on in London, and most students simply cannot afford the time/cost to attend these if studying outside London.

2. I too was naive about the train times and hence paid my price. The truth is that Coventry to Euston takes 1 hour. Once you include travel time to the station, travel time within London, and some spare time to account for potential delays/transport links, it takes closer to 3 hours to get to canary wharf. If you are heading in for 8:30 to attend a 9am interview, it's incredibly painful - especially if the trains are screwed.

Nothing against Warwick or its course - just pointing out the geographical disadvantage when it comes to finance.

As for the alums, Economics alums are similar however UCL produces many more financiers from non-conventional degrees.

Not sure where the far more prestigious is sourced from. The prestige, teaching quality and study content is extremely similar between the two institutions when viewed from both academia and industry. However, I would agree that Warwick has a nice campus.

Warwick has amazing networking for Econ... better than UCL
Original post by CollectiveSoul
Warwick has amazing networking for Econ... better than UCL

I question how you can definitively say this without having studied/recruited at both institutions.

As someone who is now on the other side of the table for the said networking events, this is definitely not the case. Campus-specific events and opportunities are similar for both universities. However, unlike Warwick students, there's nothing stopping UCL students from attending events in other London institutions, or attending our company open events. Additionally, any ad-hoc student networking events are always scheduled for London, due to our convenience.
Warwick is better for econ. Go where you think you'd enjoy yourself more though. Also take into account the high cost of living in London, making Warwick a better value for money.
I question how you can definitively say this without having studied/recruited at both institutions.

As someone who is now on the other side of the table for the said networking events, this is definitely not the case. Campus-specific events and opportunities are similar for both universities. However, unlike Warwick students, there's nothing stopping UCL students from attending events in other London institutions, or attending our company open events. Additionally, any ad-hoc student networking events are always scheduled for London, due to our convenience.

https://www.gradtouch.com/advice/article/content-these-universities-were-the-most-targeted-by-graduate-employers

there you go

You seem to have confused both "networking vs employability" as well as "highway finance vs graduate job"

But by all means, recommend Leeds over Oxford to the next person who consults you on employability by quoting this 30-page report you probably haven't read properly. :smile:
You seem to have confused both "networking vs employability" as well as "highway finance vs graduate job"

But by all means, recommend Leeds over Oxford to the next person who consults you on employability by quoting this 30-page report you probably haven't read properly. :smile:

a simple bit of maths to re-organise that list /per student would give you a bit more context, which makes the difference between Warwick and UCL even more pronounced
I'll be applying to study econ next year to both of these institutions. If I get both offers, then i'll select UCL over Warwick simply because of how convenient it will be to network and attend banking events in London.

Realistically, if an employer is choosing between an applicant from UCL or Warwick, they won't pick either applicant simply because they went to UCL over Warwick or vice-versa. There's a lot more that's taken into account including work experience (which is much easier to find in London) and your network of contacts (which is similiar in both unis). I believe that UCL has an edge over Warwick, though both are excellent universities.

Another thing you may want to consider is that UCL has better international reputation than Warwick.
Both are great and arguable if one is better than the other.
Which means other factors may be more relevant.
Would you enjoy and still do well in your studies in a city campus environment? Quite a bit of commuting and higher costs of living.
Or, would you enjoy a campus type of environment?
This may be more important than you realise.
Reply 16
Thank you all for your constructive feedback! I'll probably go with UCL at the moment while waiting to hear back from the other universities - convenience is a pretty significant factor for me and UCL has a significantly better reputation here!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending