The Student Room Group

AQA psychology A-Level help- tips and tricks? A*/A grades

hiya, any students who have sat the new psych spec and gotten and A*/A in it? I'm looking for some advice, I'm resitting because I got a C although I revised so hard and expected at least a B, I thought I was good enough for an A but clearly not

ANYWAY, im stuck on how to revise because my clearly my old method didnt work. any advice? much appreciated xx
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by sfaraj
hiya, any students who have sat the new psych spec and gotten and A*/A in it? I'm looking for some advice, I'm resitting because I got a C although I revised so hard and expected at least a B, I thought I was good enough for an A but clearly not

ANYWAY, im stuck on how to revise because my clearly my old method didnt work. any advice? much appreciated xx

Hiya!
I’m currently taking it, and am doing the exam in about 6 months. Although I haven’t taken it yet, I’m on As and A*s, so I may still be able to help!
If you don’t know the structure of the questions inside and out, no matter how well you know the content, you won’t reach top grades. You need to know exactly how many marks each AO is worth for each question type, and how to structure your work based on that.
For evaluation, revise your issues and debates topics! We’ve been taught an acronym - MIDAS. Methodology, Issues, Debates, Approaches, and Synoptic Links. Include these, and your evaluation will automatically be boosted! Learning the content out the textbook will get you to maybe a B or an A, but to get the top marks, your evaluation must be on point - it’s worth the most marks in the longer questions!
As far as learning AO1 goes, try flash cards and mindmaps. Colour helps in learning, as does writing in blue rather than black. Go over what you’ve learnt, don’t leave it to fall out of your LTM!
Let me know if you want anything more specific!
Original post by sfaraj

I achieved A* in AQA psychology and am selling my notes that I used! You may find them useful:smile: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/Eviefbuller/Psychology
Original post by eviebuller
I achieved A* in AQA psychology and am selling my notes that I used! You may find them useful:smile: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/Eviefbuller/Psychology

thanks for the offer but im after some tips? like what did you do to get that * other than notes. I've got plenty from last year, plus i dont benefit from other peoples notes as it's not written in the way i understand it ygm
Original post by sfaraj
thanks for the offer but im after some tips? like what did you do to get that * other than notes. I've got plenty from last year, plus i dont benefit from other peoples notes as it's not written in the way i understand it ygm

Honestly it was mainly just through memorising my notes, i just used to memories what was on there and re-write it all. I did practice papers and essays but I think the main thing that helped was just my good memory! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest