The Student Room Group

Holocaust Deniers

Why do people deny the holocaust? (As in what do they base their belief off? What sort of 'facts' do they use to support this argument).

Also, why do some people claim the amount of jews killed is inflated and the holocaust wasn't that bad?... Again, what do they use to back this all up?
There's a good overview of the facts [mostly misrepresented or taken out of context] and talking points that deniers bring up here- jewishvirtuallibrary.org/how-to-refute-holocaust-denial along with the proper historical explanations for them.
As for reasons why, from what I've seen of Holocaust deniers online I think there's a few different groups of them. There's the actual neo-Nazis who do it to try & make Nazism sound more acceptable & smear Jews as liars. Then you've got the sort of people who spend too much time watching conspiracy videos & are always determined to believe the opposite of whatever the mainstream view is. There's also attention seeking types who'll latch on to any idea they see as 'shocking', 'controversial' or 'edgy'
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Why do people deny the holocaust? (As in what do they base their belief off? What sort of 'facts' do they use to support this argument).

Also, why do some people claim the amount of jews killed is inflated and the holocaust wasn't that bad?... Again, what do they use to back this all up?

The phrase '6 million Jews' has been reported in newspapers hundreds of times in the last 120 years. Google: 140 occurrences of the word holocaust.
Mostly it's fascist liars, antisemitic jew haters desperate to jew bait and contrarian eccentrics prone to truth/logic inversion.
Always a few bizarre conspiracy theorists who see dark plots to take over the world/assume control of people's thoughts wherever they look.

Holocaust deniers deny the holocaust ever happened.
They often allege that there is no evidence that the nazis killed any jewish civilians who had not been convicted of a death penalty crime, suggest Hitler never spoke about the final solution or ordered the systematic targeting of jews and no proof that gas chambers existed at concentration camps.
All blatant lies, often contradicted by the public statements of Hitler and written testimony of senior Nazis.

Holocaust revisionists accept the holocaust happened and that jewish civilians were the target of it.
But they dispute the number of victims who were murdered (sometimes alleging less than 200000 victims), sometimes deny that Hitler ordered it and frequently suggest that all holocaust victims deserved to be killed or bore some responsible for why Hitler hated jews.

A lot of the time the reason for denying that millions of jews died in the holocaust is simply to slander holocaust survivors as liars.
A few horrible articles on neo nazi/ race supremacist websites made open allegations of mass life insurance scams and other financial frauds seeking to slander millions of murdered jews as opportunistic scam artists.
A centuries old antisemitic trope.
(edited 2 years ago)
londonmyst has given an excellent summary of this unpleasant topic. women, children, babies, the elderly were gassed and then burned by the Germans. this happened in living memory in the heart of Europe.
Original post by the bear
londonmyst has given an excellent summary of this unpleasant topic. women, children, babies, the elderly were gassed and then burned by the Germans. this happened in living memory in the heart of Europe.

I was watching a man debunk an old 'documentary' about revising the Holocaust. The man was trying to claim Poland asked to be invaded by killing 5000 German civillians in Poland (which many holocaust deniers claim was 50000) but he didn't say Poland was invaded a week prior to the event! He also didn't explain how Hitler was training some poor German ethnics to retaliate against Polish forces and sending them there so they would be killed and Hitler would make Poland look worthy of invasion. Literally saying they asked for it :s wth
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by the bear

We had an elderly neighbour whose family had all been gassed at Auschwitz. She was the only survivor. We used to hear her in the night crying and calling out her mother’s name. She still had the yellow star and used to show it to my kids. It was buried with her when she died. Very sad.
Original post by Seamus123
We had an elderly neighbour whose family had all been gassed at Auschwitz. She was the only survivor. We used to hear her in the night crying and calling out her mother’s name. She still had the yellow star and used to show it to my kids. It was buried with her when she died. Very sad.

That brings me to tears. I can't imagine having to survive alone during such a horrible time and knowing you had no one, that your family died a horrible death and were treated like cattle in the days coming up to it. I would be asking myself why I had to surivive and live with the pain for the rest of my life. What a brave woman.
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
That brings me to tears. I can't imagine having to survive alone during such a horrible time and knowing you had no one, that your family died a horrible death and were treated like cattle in the days coming up to it. I would be asking myself why I had to surivive and live with the pain for the rest of my life. What a brave woman.

I remember once when I was at school, a Holocaust survivor came & gave a talk. I found it upsetting listening to her description of things she experienced in the camp & couldn't imagine the horror of something like that happening to anyone. Also she mentioned that she was a 15 year old girl at the time she first went into the camp, about the same age I was when I heard her speak, which brought home the point for me that in a different time & place it could have been me in that situation. And as a person from a mixed race background who is also bisexual I'm sure there's still a few sick minded far right types who'd quite happily do it.
There are also people who think Hitler was a zionist and took part in a plan to kill a large amount of jews in order to justify the creation of Israel and zionist hegemony in the future via media etc.
Reply 10
Original post by Seamus123

My Nan's best mate is an Auschwitz survivor (she is still going, though my Nan is not) who lost her whole family there. A thoroughly lovely, compassionate woman, stronger than just about anyone else I know. HOw she retained her humanity after that I do not know, but I have been in awe of her for as long as I have known what the Holocaust was. My granddad on the other side of the family was part of the liberating force at Belsen and would never talk about it, I still have his day passes and paperwork here. He used to just knock out Holocaust deniers when he encountered them and I'm not entirely opposed to that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Generally a lack of education.

They learned a few cherry-picked or false facts, and draw very bold conclusions which made these people think they're special, while they're just undereducated and at very best, averagely intelligent.

In Poland such problem doesn't exist, because everyone here have or had grandparents who learned the Nazi-Germany's cruelty first hand, so each family has own testimionies.

Whoever denies the Holocaust will not only have a problem with Jews, but with Poles as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending