The Student Room Group

Do I have aphantasia?

So basically I was scrolling through YouTube when this random video with the word ‘aphantasia’ pops up... having no idea what this was I searched it up and from what I understand it’s people not being able to visualise in their heads. Now this isn’t gonna kill me but now I’m just really confused...

So I wanted to know how everyone else visualises. When I picture something I can’t really ‘see it’ but I know the details in the picture and can see that one scene. So like if you say ‘imagine a beach’ I can see where the sun the sand the ocean and tress are together and see the scene but not really ‘see’ it. I can manipulate this image either, I just have to make a new image. But then it made be question is that even an image!? Is that visualising or just remembering?

So yeah anyway I just wanted to know, say if someone asked you to imagine a beach, how do you visualise it? Can you see it like a movie or is it more like you are in the beach and it’s all around you? What do you see?
Reply 1
Original post by pibobelebeep
So basically I was scrolling through YouTube when this random video with the word ‘aphantasia’ pops up... having no idea what this was I searched it up and from what I understand it’s people not being able to visualise in their heads. Now this isn’t gonna kill me but now I’m just really confused...

So I wanted to know how everyone else visualises. When I picture something I can’t really ‘see it’ but I know the details in the picture and can see that one scene. So like if you say ‘imagine a beach’ I can see where the sun the sand the ocean and tress are together and see the scene but not really ‘see’ it. I can manipulate this image either, I just have to make a new image. But then it made be question is that even an image!? Is that visualising or just remembering?

So yeah anyway I just wanted to know, say if someone asked you to imagine a beach, how do you visualise it? Can you see it like a movie or is it more like you are in the beach and it’s all around you? What do you see?
I see it as though it was a memory. This is maybe why I find writing fiction so easy.
Original post by Tootles
I see it as though it was a memory. This is maybe why I find writing fiction so easy.

So can you see the image from different angles and/or manipulate it easily within your mind?
aphantasia means not being able to see it at all. having no imagery in your head of the beach.
it's normal to picture things in your head, you aren't supposed to physically "see" it in front of you, that hallucinations!
I have it I think.

I thought that it was just a metaphor lmaoo.

I can't see anything in any sense at all - I kind of just describe it in my head lmaoo
Original post by bumblebeehugger
aphantasia means not being able to see it at all. having no imagery in your head of the beach.
it's normal to picture things in your head, you aren't supposed to physically "see" it in front of you, that hallucinations!

So essentially it would just be like a memory? And people with aphantasia would not be able to form this sort of memory like image of it never happened?

Quick Reply

Latest