The Student Room Group

What A-levels do I need to study Journalism at university?

For A-levels, I am currently studying
History
Media
Psychology
Photography
EPQ (Nobunaga)

I want to study Journalism at university. Are these A-levels suitable?
Original post by Blink Once
For A-levels, I am currently studying
History
Media
Psychology
Photography
EPQ (Nobunaga)

I want to study Journalism at university. Are these A-levels suitable?

Yes they should be fine.
The students I know from Uni who went on to successful careers in journalism studied Degrees in English, or English & Politics.
Original post by begbie68
The students I know from Uni who went on to successful careers in journalism studied Degrees in English, or English & Politics.

The media has changed a lot since the days when journalists studied English at Oxbridge and got their journalism ticket part time while working for a big paper.

An accredited journalism degree is a lot more common (not that it’s not possible to still take an English or other degree and then get a journalism qualification postgrad - but the costs are much higher).

Particularly for an accredited multimedia journalism degree having A levels in photography and media (so a broader range of media covered) is an advantage.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
The media has changed a lot since the days when journalists studied English at Oxbridge and got their journalism ticket part time while working for a big paper.

An accredited journalism degree is a lot more common (not that it’s not possible to still take an English or other degree and then get a journalism qualification postgrad - but the costs are much higher).

Particularly for an accredited multimedia journalism degree having A levels in photography and media (so a broader range of media covered) is an advantage.

Thank you 😁
You could probably do with doing some sort of English as well. If that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest