The Student Room Group

Grandma mistakenly booked into all-male jail, staff thought she was transgender

A victim of the transphobic segregation of trans-women and cis-women.

If they had accepted her gender identity rather than deciding for her, this wouldn't have happened.

https://www.wwlp.com/world/grandma-mistakenly-booked-into-all-male-jail-staff-thought-she-was-transgender/1633101688

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How does "the nurse added this note to her file: "Transgender, male parts, female tendencies.”" happen after she was strip-searched? And how can they not have her on file if they know she did some drug crime 5 years ago?

Very odd, perhaps the nurse had an axe to grind.
Not sure the nurse is the best at her job.
Typical lefties using this to push an agenda.
As with the history of butch cis-women getting harassed in public bathrooms because people thought they were men, this is the inevitable result of the nonsensical scaremongering about the "evil transes" sneaking into women's places to harass women (that actually the vast majority of trans related bathroom harassment is directed at trans people - https://thinkprogress.org/study-transgender-people-experience-discrimination-trying-to-use-bathrooms-34232263e6b3/ - is ignored, for some reason). That some then double down and blame trans people for this baffles - it's akin to blaming black people for racism.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
That some then double down and blame trans people for this baffles - it's akin to blaming black people for racism.

You don't think black people can be racist? That is a racist view if ever I heard one. Have you never heard of the Rwandan genocides?
sorry but what the ****?
So you think that saying that black people cannot be blamed for racism doesn't imply that they cannot be racist? Perhaps you think they can be racist but must never be blamed for it?
The problem with that contention is that the Tutsi ruled over the Hutu (which was the name the Rwandan kingdom gave to all those it conquered) and exploited them as, effectively, serfs long before the Germans and Belgians ever set foot in Rwanda. The founders of the German East Africa Company were not even born until the 1850s and can hardly be said to have caused the societal and regnal structure that had grown between the eleventh and eighteenth centuries.
Original post by Good bloke
You don't think black people can be racist? That is a racist view if ever I heard one. Have you never heard of the Rwandan genocides?

Obviously not, what I'm suggesting as a comparison is suggesting that black people are responsible for the existence of racism, rather than racists - that the victims very existence causes it, absolving the aggressors of fault
Reply 11
Well, I suppose it's a vaguely utilitarian calculation, isn't it? Better to put one hen in the fox-house than risk putting a fox in the hen-house.

Alternatively, this is possibly a load of old nonsense and if you genuinely want to look at prison cells from an equality and segregation standpoint, then we shouldn't have sex segregation in prisons at all.
Original post by ThomH97
How does "the nurse added this note to her file: "Transgender, male parts, female tendencies.”" happen after she was strip-searched? And how can they not have her on file if they know she did some drug crime 5 years ago?

Very odd, perhaps the nurse had an axe to grind.

Or just lazy and had enough of her job. :tongue:
Original post by L i b
Well, I suppose it's a vaguely utilitarian calculation, isn't it? Better to put one hen in the fox-house than risk putting a fox in the hen-house.

Alternatively, this is possibly a load of old nonsense and if you genuinely want to look at prison cells from an equality and segregation standpoint, then we shouldn't have sex segregation in prisons at all.

Fox-house?
How daft can two medical professionals be.
What are the odds that either can tell the difference between a live human and a corpse?
LOL
Reply 15
In fairness to the user it is the logical, albeit extreme, conclusion of that argument.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Obviously not, what I'm suggesting as a comparison is suggesting that black people are responsible for the existence of racism, rather than racists - that the victims very existence causes it, absolving the aggressors of fault

So, by 'black people' you meant 'people of any given race'?
Reply 17
Original post by AngeryPenguin
A victim of the transphobic segregation of trans-women and cis-women.

If they had accepted her gender identity rather than deciding for her, this wouldn't have happened.

https://www.wwlp.com/world/grandma-mistakenly-booked-into-all-male-jail-staff-thought-she-was-transgender/1633101688

whilst this is a dreadfully unfortunate occurrence for the person concerned i fail to see how this can be described as "transphobic" seeing as she was in fact a real woman.
Reply 18
Original post by Captain Haddock
Fox-house?

Fair point, the metaphor was stretched to breaking point.
Original post by Good bloke
So, by 'black people' you meant 'people of any given race'?

If you want to be pendantic and ignore that historically racism in western countries has been directed primarily at black people, yes, substitute in BAME instead. Not that it changes the point about victim blaming.

Original post by Napp
whilst this is a dreadfully unfortunate occurrence for the person concerned i fail to see how this can be described as "transphobic" seeing as she was in fact a woman.

Ok, ignoring that "real woman" is a transphobic remark (suggesting that trans women aren't real...), you don't need to be trans to experience the results of transphobia on a day to day basis because discrimination like this affects those who are perceived as being in that group, regardless of whether they are or not - so transphobia also affects GNC cis people as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending