The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

can access course student have chance for accounting and finance at LSE?

I have left high school 4 years ago and I am planning to get back to education by doing 1 year access course.

On their official website for the course details, they do mention that they do give offers to BTEC, access course, foundation and other international students also.

For the access they ask for 30 distinctions + 15 merit or pass.

thinking realistically, if you do get those required grades, will they look at you as same student as A LEVEL completed students?

Or has anyone here got into LSE with completing access course?
I have 57 distinctions and 3 merits (would of been 60 if these modules did not have to be selected for final grading). If you hit the grades then that is one step completed, your personal statement will have to be a gold standard for LSE. Oh, if your grades are more than three years old, then they are automatically rejected.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
I have 57 distinctions and 3 merits (would of been 60 if these modules did not have to be selected for final grading). If you hit the grades then that is one step completed, your personal statement will have to be a gold standard for LSE. Oh, if your grades are more than three years old, then they are automatically rejected.

3 years old? So my GCSE grades will no longer be available for me to state that down on the UCAS?

I thought access courses have 45 graded credits + 15 ungraded credits (reading information etc)

how did you get 57 distinctions?
and what access course did you took? I am not sure if they are identical courses but named differently by different colleges. becuase some colleges do access to business or accounting or accounting and finance.
Original post by Chairm
3 years old? So my GCSE grades will no longer be available for me to state that down on the UCAS?

I thought access courses have 45 graded credits + 15 ungraded credits (reading information etc)

how did you get 57 distinctions?
and what access course did you took? I am not sure if they are identical courses but named differently by different colleges. becuase some colleges do access to business or accounting or accounting and finance.

I'm talking about post GCSE, if your A-Levels or whatnot are old, you are ****ed.
My Access course had a grand total of 78 credits i think, we had to select modules we wanted to contribute to 60, minus the three compulsory ones you have no choice over. Actually it must of been 51 and 9, most modules were worth three each.

My Access was done in 2012, so i'm actually using a first year university transcript for LSE entrance, which they are happy to accept. But as i said, you get the grades and you will be fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
They don't look at you the same with Access. Because Access is much easier than most A-Levels. I have said it before; 45/45 at distinction is about BBB.

You can make up for it with a strong PS, however.
Original post by Notoriety
They don't look at you the same with Access. Because Access is much easier than most A-Levels. I have said it before; 45/45 at distinction is about BBB.

That's dependent on what you define as harder.
That's dependent on what you define as harder.

The more technical, complicated and graded more harshly. There's a reason the numerate courses at most good unis require maths A-Level at least alongside Access.
The more technical, complicated and graded more harshly. There's a reason the numerate courses at most good unis require maths A-Level at least alongside Access.

I'm sure they are, but in my experience i have seen plenty of these gold standard A-Level students fall like flies at university, the workload is a game changer.
But anyway OP, just apply and find out.
I'm sure they are, but in my experience i have seen plenty of these gold standard A-Level students fall like flies at university, the workload is a game changer.

Mature students have the highest non-continuation rates, so many more fall like flies amongst the older lot. And mature students tend to end up at local low-performing unis, which tend to have high rates of non-continuation. The issue is really compounded.
Reply 10

45/45 is UCAS AAA. This is especially important for Law students who are looking to apply for City firms that require AAB. Whether or not this truly translates to an AAA student is of course, up for debate. I believe that an Access Course is definitely the 'easy' route so.. make of that what you will.

Access Course entrants are rare at LSE. I am one of two on my course. For reference, there had been none in the last 3 years according to Unistats.

Some courses accept Access, some dont. Courses such as Economics are less likely to accept Access owing to the Mathematical requirements of the course that an Access Course simply cannot replicate. The same goes for Medicine (although I think there are actually now Medicine courses that accept Access students)

To the OP:

Feel free to message me if you wish. I got my 45/45. For reference, you will also have to complete the UGAA which is another hurdle. I think the quoted acceptance rate from UGAA is about 10%. You will be required to write a precis, an essay, and to complete a Maths test.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending