The Student Room Group

Mariah Careys "justice4glitter" hashtag was a bit of a **** up

Well I mean if her fans really want justice for a filthy child molesting pervert then there seems to be a slight problem with them, other than their dubious taste in music...

[click on the link for some of the tweets on it]

Mariah Carey fans have proven to be a force to be reckoned with in a viral campaign to get the soundtrack to her 2001 album Glitter reevaluated.
The notoriously bad 2001 film of the same name was such a colossal flop that it resulted in the album performing badly in sales, eventually leading to Carey disowning it all together.
Her fans feel that it isn't that bad and after a viral campaign succeeded in increasing its sales by an incredible 10,000 per cent resulting in it reaching number one in the iTunes charts.
That's great news for the 48-year-old singer but she might be less pleased to hear about the unfortunate hashtag attached to the campaign.
On paper, #JusticeForGlitter probably sounds OK to a large amount of her fanbase but in the UK, 'Justice For Glitter' reads as something much more problematic.

If you aren't quite aware of what is going on here, the rather unfortunate hashtag makes it sound like her fans are calling for justice for Gary Glitter the disgraced former rock star, who was convicted on child sex offences in 2006.
Yeah, Mariah fans might wanna rethink this one or risk tarnishing that album even more.

https://www.indy100.com/article/mariah-carey-fans-hashtag-justiceforglitter-twitter-gary-glitter-8665181?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1543856661
Thanks Napp. You just made me spit my tea out.
Considering he was done in the 90's I think you'd need to a bit daft even in UK to think for a second that's what she meant. Paul Gadd doesn't get to own the word.:rolleyes:
Original post by StriderHort
Considering he was done in the 90's I think you'd need to a bit daft even in UK to think for a second that's what she meant. Paul Gadd doesn't get to own the word.:rolleyes:

I mean I don't think anyone is going to read the hashtag and think it's actually an online call of support for a pedophile, but it was sure as hell the first thing that popped into my head because our brains are weird like that. Sorta like Susan Boyle's #Susanalbumparty, I don't think anyone seriously thought she was trying to publically organise a large scale anal sex orgy but people sure did love that hashtag.
I dunno, a lot of people are really stupid and reactionary I suppose, notoriously so on Twitter.

I suppose it depends on your point of reference, for me Gary Glitter is way way in the past, even as a reference it's really dated, Paul Gadd is just old another pedo guy who gets chased about the landings with pots of boiling sugar water to the Benny Hill soundtrack. Although I say this knowing he has technically been done with sex crimes more or less constantly. *shrug* Just wasn't the first place my mind wen't on this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending