The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Oxford Next Year (Unique Extenuating Circumstances)

End result: A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP so all of you that thought I wouldn't make it were wrong :biggrin:

NB: This thread has moved quote a bit from the initial post's topic... (in fact, Oxford has no relevance anymore)

Disclaimer: Yes I know there are prolly over 9000 threads like this but bear with me as my situation is quite unique.

I'm an EU applicant BTW.

Here we go...

So I applied for Oxford Math and git rejected pre-interview even with the extenuating circumstances I experienced.
However I feel like they have not been considering them for what they are; maybe I wasn't clear enough on them.

I will now give a detailed account, now obviously I couldn't put even half of this in my PS but I did indicate that I had extenuating circumstances (I will indicate which part I included in my PS in bold).

My interest in math started when i was small and I always found math class too easy. Sadly I was unable to discover things like lateral thinking and proof until just the beginning of my A levels because I found some other subjects too difficult and was forced to pass due to the school system.

By the time of IGCSE's (CIE) I had lost interest in mathematics as I thought there was not much to it (and IGCSE math was very dull to me) so at that time I was thinking of doing physics (which I, admitedly use dto like more than now).

My school for my IGCSE's was poor with many students getting E's or below in most subjects. However I scored 5A*, 4A, and 1C. The C is in literature, which is already amazing seeing how bad I am at it (although got A* for language).

Most of my math teachers were awful but my IGCSE one was absolutely trash (seriously though). Essentially he didn't teach anything (so I had to self-study) but at the same time didn't let me study at my own pace (and had to rush my additional math studies), while at the same time threatening to send me to a lower set (was in set 1). I took both IGCSE international math (dunno why had to do that) and IGCSE additional math and scored A in both.

I now realize why I didn't get A*'s in my IGCSE math subjects, it's because I was never taught the exam technique and what the examiner's want so I went on thinking the same for A level math (and also scored A) just because of one jerk teacher misleading me so (thank god I found TSR otherwise would have never realized). My other teachers taught me the exam technique but never said that it was so which made me unaware of it until AFTER my A level math exams.

When I was about to start my A levels (a very good sixth form accepted me) my father had to do some very extensive travels for his work. My mother, having an "amazing" idea that all the family should follow him because we'd all miss him too much. This caused me to be forced to having to self study in poor conditions (hotels are awful for studying when you have very noisy siblings). I also had much less time than a typical A level student to study. This is why I took A level math early, so to spread the workload (my parents agreed that they can stay put somewhere for my exams and only my exams).

It was not until I started my A levels (edexcel math and further math, as well as ial physics) that I realized that there was much more to mathematics (I especially liked mathematical proof) and this is what convinced me to apply for math (as at the same time physics hugely dissapointed me). I even included some of the proof I did in my PS (which were very much beyond the specification). However I do have to catch up on all of this mathematical creative thinking because I was introduced to it so late compared to the competition.

I had no idea my A level grade would disadvantaged me so much that I would get rejected pre-interview even with a good MAT score. Honestly I lost all my confidence for a while there so I still performed much worse than in past papers, but I learned my lesson and will not let a dumb exam judge my abilities (because they can't when they're about memorizing methods and regurgitating them).

So obviously oxford had done absolutely no justice to my extenuating circumstances by not further asking about them etc. If in the feedback I see they have not been taken in account of, I will give a formal complaint as I think this is unacceptable in the light that oxford wishes to recruit the best mathematicians.

I do wish to reapply to oxford, provided that I achieve the grades, but at the same time I know that gap years for math is not seen well. So I decided that I would apply to unis this year and if I get a place would start the degree anyways due to the chance of still being rejected by Oxford. Is it possible to apply to Oxford when one already started an undergraduate degree?

I have no offers so far and in the case all the unis reject me I will probably start with the open university and reapply to unis next year so that I stay academically active.

If oxford rejects me again I will just accept whatever uni accepts me at this rate and try again for postgraduate studies.

I will most likely take all 3 STEP papers as an attempt to make me more competitive for oxford (and some unis I applying to use STEP)

So in the end here are my questions:
-Is it possible to apply to Oxford when one already started an undergraduate degree?
-Is the plan overall good? Any criticism to the plan?
-Is it worth reapplying to oxford knowing my circumstances? (I do still need to catch up upon the more lateral thinking side of things due to lack of exposure to it before A levels).
- Should I apply to another college next year?
- Any other advice?

Thank you in advance and have a good day :smile:.

I know I can do better, I will take January exams to see if I did understand all of this exam technique thing.

PS: please don't be harsh, I am not doing very well emotionally lately (unrelated to uni places)
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ExamsDo2
Disclaimer: Yes I know there are prolly over 9000 threads like this but bear with me as my situation is quite unique.

I'm an EU applicant BTW.

Here we go...

So I applied for Oxford Math and git rejected pre-interview even with the extenuating circumstances I experienced.
However I feel like they have not been considering them for what they are; maybe I wasn't clear enough on them.

I will now give a detailed account, now obviously I couldn't put even half of this in my PS but I did indicate that I had extenuating circumstances (I will indicate which part I included in my PS in bold).

My interest in math started when i was small and I always found math class too easy. Sadly I was unable to discover things like lateral thinking and proof until just the beginning of my A levels because I found some other subjects too difficult and was forced to pass due to the school system.

By the time of IGCSE's (CIE) I had lost interest in mathematics as I thought there was not much to it (and IGCSE math was very dull to me) so at that time I was thinking of doing physics (which I, admitedly use dto like more than now).

My school for my IGCSE's was poor with many students getting E's or below in most subjects. However I scored 5A*, 4A, and 1C. The C is in literature, which is already amazing seeing how bad I am at it (although got A* for language).

Most of my math teachers were awful but my IGCSE one was absolutely trash (seriously though). Essentially he didn't teach anything (so I had to self-study) but at the same time didn't let me study at my own pace (and had to rush my additional math studies), while at the same time threatening to send me to a lower set (was in set 1). I took both IGCSE international math (dunno why had to do that) and IGCSE additional math and scored A in both.

I now realize why I didn't get A*'s in my IGCSE math subjects, it's because I was never taught the exam technique and what the examiner's want so I went on thinking the same for A level math (and also scored A) just because of one jerk teacher misleading me so (thank god I found TSR otherwise would have never realized). My other teachers taught me the exam technique but never said that it was so which made me unaware of it until AFTER my A level math exams.

When I was about to start my A levels (a very good sixth form accepted me) my father had to do some very extensive travels for his work. My mother, having an "amazing" idea that all the family should follow him because we'd all miss him too much. This caused me to be forced to having to self study in poor conditions (hotels are awful for studying when you have very noisy siblings). I also had much less time than a typical A level student to study. This is why I took A level math early, so to spread the workload (my parents agreed that they can stay put somewhere for my exams and only my exams).

It was not until I started my A levels (edexcel math and further math, as well as ial physics) that I realized that there was much more to mathematics (I especially liked mathematical proof) and this is what convinced me to apply for math (as at the same time physics hugely dissapointed me). I even included some of the proof I did in my PS (which were very much beyond the specification). However I do have to catch up on all of this mathematical creative thinking because I was introduced to it so late compared to the competition.

I had no idea my A level grade would disadvantaged me so much that I would get rejected pre-interview even with a good MAT score. Honestly I lost all my confidence for a while there so I still performed much worse than in past papers, but I learned my lesson and will not let a dumb exam judge my abilities (because they can't when they're about memorizing methods and regurgitating them).

So obviously oxford had done absolutely no justice to my extenuating circumstances by not further asking about them etc. If in the feedback I see they have not been taken in account of, I will give a formal complaint as I think this is unacceptable in the light that oxford wishes to recruit the best mathematicians.

I do wish to reapply to oxford, provided that I achieve the grades, but at the same time I know that gap years for math is not seen well. So I decided that I would apply to unis this year and if I get a place would start the degree anyways due to the chance of still being rejected by Oxford. Is it possible to apply to Oxford when one already started an undergraduate degree?

I have no offers so far and in the case all the unis reject me I will probably start with the open university and reapply to unis next year so that I stay academically active.

If oxford rejects me again I will just accept whatever uni accepts me at this rate and try again for postgraduate studies.

I will most likely take all 3 STEP papers as an attempt to make me more competitive for oxford (and some unis I applying to use STEP)

-Is it possible to apply to Oxford when one already started an undergraduate degree?
-Is it worth reapplying to oxford knowing my circumstances? (I do still need to catch up upon the more lateral thinking side of things due to lack of exposure to it before A levels).
- Any other advice?

I know I can do better, I will take January exams to see if I did understand all of this exam technique thing.

PS: please don't be harsh, I am not doing very well emotionally lately (unrelated to uni places)

The requirements for Mathematics at Oxford is A*A*A with A*s in Mathematics and Further Mathematics. From what I gather, you've only managed to get an A in both of these subjects. Also, how can you know you got a good MAT score when you don't even know your actual score yet.
I would like to encourage you but the fact of the matter is even though you have Extenuating Circumstances there are simply so many people who meet and exceed these entry requirements that it would be unfair for them to select you instead. You say that it's unacceptable to not take into account your circumstances when they want to recruit the best mathematicians, how can you say you're the best when you're unable to achieve the basic grades.
If you wish to have any chance of getting in you will have to resit your Mathematics. Oxford will simply not take someone who not only fails to meet the requirements but fails to get an A* in the subject they're applying for. Not really the sign of a top mathematician. There are many people who self-study either or both Mathematics and Further Mathematics and manage to achieve A*s in both subjects. I understand your problems and can see how it may have affected you, but at the end of the day if you're truly an Oxford mathematician then you would have been able to achieve an A* in Mathematics through self study.
I remember someone else emailing Oxford on this forum about resits and Oxford directly said they would have a lower chance of getting in.
Honestly just because you may have some sort of Extenuating Circumstances, you can't expect it to overrule everything else and actually give you advantages when there are far better candidates out there.
I'd recommend you to not bother with Oxford and to just look into any of the unis you 'may' get offers from.
Hope this helps.
(edited 5 years ago)

It doesn't sound ideal, but not really worth making a major allowance for either, IMO. Ask Oxford for feedback - see here. They'll give your MAT score too. I expect that your A in 'A' level Maths is an automatic rejection, and that your MAT score is probably insufficient to compensate (if it weren't automatic).

Don't take it too hard - Oxford is very competitive, and there's always an element of luck in any selection process. I've even heard a rumour that there are other universities! Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by RogerOxon
It doesn't sound ideal, but not really worth making a major allowance for either, IMO. Ask Oxford for feedback - see here. They'll give your MAT score too. I expect that your A in 'A' level Maths is an automatic rejection, and that your MAT score is probably insufficient to compensate (if it weren't automatic).

Don't take it too hard - Oxford is very competitive, and there's always an element of luck in any selection process. I've even heard a rumour that there are other universities! Good luck.

Thanks already knew about that :P

yup afaik that was the automatic rejection but tbh I know I can get A* because I find the questions really easy (it's just I ran out of time and didn't know exactly what the examiners want, which I can take care of). It's not easy when you have no help from a teacher for exam prep.
Reply 4
Thanks already knew about that :P

yup afaik that was the automatic rejection but tbh I know I can get A* because I find the questions really easy (it's just I ran out of time and didn't know exactly what the examiners want, which I can take care of). It's not easy when you have no help from a teacher for exam prep.

I'd email them again asking about resits if I were you. Again, you can't say it's really easy. You don't need specific exam prep, solving questions and doing past papers through self study is all that's needed.
Reply 5
Original post by Shiv7
The requirements for Mathematics at Oxford is A*A*A with A*s in Mathematics and Further Mathematics. From what I gather, you've only managed to get an A in both of these subjects. Also, how can you know you got a good MAT score when you don't even know your actual score yet.
I would like to encourage you but the fact of the matter is even though you have Extenuating Circumstances there are simply so many people who meet and exceed these entry requirements that it would be unfair for them to select you instead. You say that it's unacceptable to not take into account your circumstances when they want to recruit the best mathematicians, how can you say you're the best when you're unable to achieve the basic grades.
If you wish to have any chance of getting in you will have to resit your Mathematics. Oxford will simply not take someone who not only fails to meet the requirements but fails to get an A* in the subject they're applying for. Not really the sign of a top mathematician. There are many people who self-study either or both Mathematics and Further Mathematics and manage to achieve A*s in both subjects. I understand your problems and can see how it may have affected you, but at the end of the day if you're truly an Oxford mathematician then you would have been able to achieve an A* in Mathematics through self study.
I remember someone else emailing Oxford on this forum about resits and Oxford directly said they would have a lower chance of getting in.
Honestly just because you may have some sort of Extenuating Circumstances, you can't expect it to overrule everything else and actually give you advantages when there are far better candidates out there.
I'd recommend you to not bother with Oxford and to just look into any of the unis you 'may' get offers from.
Hope this helps.

Didn't do FM yet, that's an assumption you made. Oxfords MAT site has the MAT mark scheme so I can tell a range of my scores. My MAT score could have gone better though (and should have according to past papers). Hugely disappointing imo but not my problem either.

and if they say that A level math finds the best mathematicians you are wrong. Regurgitating memorized method is not maths but a test of how robotic pone can be (I ran out of time in all exams hence why I missed A*)

If it happens I get A*A*A or better I will reapply. If not then I won't :smile:.

The problem here (forgot to say) is that my parents are not very happy that I will be going out of the country to go to a non-oxbridge uni so if they judge it to be not good enough (as in any uni asking lower than A*AA) then they will simply not help me financially in other words I can't go. Unis near me are terrible for maths so I will have to give up the subject if I stay...

Thank you for your reply
Reply 6
Original post by Shiv7
I'd email them again asking about resits if I were you. Again, you can't say it's really easy. You don't need specific exam prep, solving questions and doing past papers through self study is all that's needed.

okay but I thought practicing STEP would automatically get me an A* but I didn't think the timing was this strict. Honestly couldn't have an hour and a half for myself either since there's always something going to disrupt me every hour or so.
Reply 7
Okay so far all I want to know is reapplying to oxford if I do get A*A*A? (and also do well in STEP)
Reply 8
Original post by RogerOxon

People really don't take my situation for what it really is. It was crazy difficult to study in fact if I had the flu all year it would have been so much easier.

apparently the only way to have a major allowance is to contract cancer. Will get exposed by gamma rays for that. (hopefully this isn't taken seriously)

Actually the situation is just not favorable for me to do maths. I think I may stay in my country doing engineering then. At least the department's solid in the best uni here (but offers no math degrees). I don't really like it but I've run out of options, obviously.
Reply 9
Didn't do FM yet, that's an assumption you made. Oxfords MAT site has the MAT mark scheme so I can tell a range of my scores. My MAT score could have gone better though (and should have according to past papers). Hugely disappointing imo but not my problem either.

and if they say that A level math finds the best mathematicians you are wrong. Regurgitating memorized method is not maths but a test of how robotic pone can be (I ran out of time in all exams hence why I missed A*)

If it happens I get A*A*A or better I will reapply. If not then I won't :smile:.

The problem here (forgot to say) is that my parents are not very happy that I will be going out of the country to go to a non-oxbridge uni so if they judge it to be not good enough (as in any uni asking lower than A*AA) then they will simply not help me financially in other words I can't go. Unis near me are terrible for maths so I will have to give up the subject if I stay...

Thank you for your reply

How is not doing well in your MAT not your problem? Is that someone else's fault as well? I'd honestly look into taking up Further Mathematics if you're very keen on Mathematics at any university to be very honest. Again, it's a subject very easy to self teach and I know people including myself who do that and others who have achieved the A* doing so. Honestly, A Level Mathematics is probably the subject with the least regurgitation involved next only to Further Mathematics. Ultimately if you are the great mathematician you purport yourself to be, you would have the right grades. Stop blaming the system, start working on yourself.
Oxbridge isn't everything and not everyone is good enough for Oxbridge. I'd look past it if I were you.
Reply 10
okay but I thought practicing STEP would automatically get me an A* but I didn't think the timing was this strict. Honestly couldn't have an hour and a half for myself either since there's always something going to disrupt me every hour or so.

Why would you practice STEP papers for an A-Level examination? Makes no sense whatsoever. Surely you would've looked at the exam timings before sitting the exam, or else when you were solving past papers, did you not solve them in timed conditions?
Reply 11
Okay so far all I want to know is reapplying to oxford if I do get A*A*A? (and also do well in STEP)

I would only reapply if you get those grades yes. I would also email them and double check their stance on resits. Again I would like to emphasise that just getting these grades doesn't guarantee you a spot. You still need good GCSE grades, a good PS, good references and a good MAT performance along with performance at interview if invited. From what I gather, STEP doesn't form part of Oxfords entry requirements but I suppose it will give your application a boost, but please make sure this isn't at a cost to the rest of your application.
Reply 12
People really don't take my situation for what it really is. It was crazy difficult to study in fact if I had the flu all year it would have been so much easier.

apparently the only way to have a major allowance is to contract cancer. Will get exposed by gamma rays for that. (hopefully this isn't taken seriously)

Actually the situation is just not favorable for me to do maths. I think I may stay in my country doing engineering then. At least the department's solid in the best uni here (but offers no math degrees). I don't really like it but I've run out of options, obviously.

We get your situation but the problem is you're significantly below the requirements. No A* in Mathematics and no Further Mathematics is quite simply a big no for Oxford. Even with your situation, the least you could do is meet the entry requirements.

I'm an EU applicant BTW.

Here we go...

- Any other advice?

this isnt exactly the epitome of extenuating circumstances is it. "I had a bad teacher" "I had to revise in a hotel room" "I self studied"

don't you need a solid reason with proof for extenuating circumstances to apply?
Reply 14
Original post by Shiv7
How is not doing well in your MAT not your problem? Is that someone else's fault as well? I'd honestly look into taking up Further Mathematics if you're very keen on Mathematics at any university to be very honest. Again, it's a subject very easy to self teach and I know people including myself who do that and others who have achieved the A* doing so. Honestly, A Level Mathematics is probably the subject with the least regurgitation involved next only to Further Mathematics. Ultimately if you are the great mathematician you purport yourself to be, you would have the right grades. Stop blaming the system, start working on yourself.
Oxbridge isn't everything and not everyone is good enough for Oxbridge. I'd look past it if I were you.

sorry you misunderstood

I am taking FM just didn't take any exams yet

It is not my problem that Oxford's selection process is flawed

my MAT performance is fine just not as high as I expected

the system is not perfect. I see not why pointing out flaws is a problem. This is eactly how I'd conquer obstacles that are flawed

Original post by Shiv7
We get your situation but the problem is you're significantly below the requirements. No A* in Mathematics and no Further Mathematics is quite simply a big no for Oxford. Even with your situation, the least you could do is meet the entry requirements.

I took A level math early. I am not done with my A level studies :P. I get your point so I'll attempt getting the grades (which I should be able to). Right now is not the time to ruin my confidence or I'll obviously never do well in life (it's no longer about oxbridge)

Original post by Shiv7
I would only reapply if you get those grades yes. I would also email them and double check their stance on resits. Again I would like to emphasise that just getting these grades doesn't guarantee you a spot. You still need good GCSE grades, a good PS, good references and a good MAT performance along with performance at interview if invited. From what I gather, STEP doesn't form part of Oxfords entry requirements but I suppose it will give your application a boost, but please make sure this isn't at a cost to the rest of your application.

STEP gives a lower offer to the unis I've applied so far hence why I take them. I took it it could also boost the application.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

Original post by Shiv7
Why would you practice STEP papers for an A-Level examination? Makes no sense whatsoever. Surely you would've looked at the exam timings before sitting the exam, or else when you were solving past papers, did you not solve them in timed conditions?

had no opportunity to do the papers under exam condition so I thought doing something harder than the exam would make up for it. I guess I do realize now it doesn't make much sense but from someone who was not really understanding the A level system it does...

welp my mistake and II paid the price: the loss of 1 year so I will now proceed in doing AND showing my best rather than doing my best.

I have already stated my GCSE grades too and I am sure they are considered better than "good".
Reply 15
Original post by Laurence863
this isnt exactly the epitome of extenuating circumstances is it. "I had a bad teacher" "I had to revise in a hotel room" "I self studied"

don't you need a solid reason with proof for extenuating circumstances to apply?

would having a flu all year with multiple doctor's not count?

If yes then honestly wished I had that instead for the sake of the application. My life would have been legit easier.

sigh
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
sorry you misunderstood

I am taking FM just didn't take any exams yet

It is not my problem that Oxford's selection process is flawed

my MAT performance is fine just not as high as I expected

the system is not perfect. I see not why pointing out flaws is a problem. This is eactly how I'd conquer obstacles that are flawed

I took A level math early. I am not done with my A level studies :P. I get your point so I'll attempt getting the grades (which I should be able to). Right now is not the time to ruin my confidence or I'll obviously never do well in life (it's no longer about oxbridge)

STEP gives a lower offer to the unis I've applied so far hence why I take them. I took it it could also boost the application.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

had no opportunity to do the papers under exam condition so I thought doing something harder than the exam would make up for it. I guess I do realize now it doesn't make much sense but from someone who was not really understanding the A level system it does...

welp my mistake and II paid the price: the loss of 1 year so I will now proceed in doing AND showing my best rather than doing my best.

I have already stated my GCSE grades too and I am sure they are considered better than "good".

Again you say that it's not your problem the Oxford system is flawed. Just because you've failed, doesn't mean it's flawed. They look at your entire academic record along with your predicted grades, your general aptitude in admissions tests and your passion in your PS/Interview. It is such a comprehensive assessment which ensures the best are selected. You seem to think that the fact they base everything on academics is wrong, just because you didn't get the right grades. It's arguably the best university in the world, they're obviously going to look at your academic record instead of everything else. Yes, the system isn't perfect but it's not far off. Your MAT performance must be of a high standard for Oxford as they interview a low percentage and usually use the admissions assessments as a cut off for who to interview.

You should've only taken it early if you knew you were ready to achieve the grade you wanted. Again I know many people who have taken it early successfully with A*. I would look into the acceptance of resits as I feel this would damage your future application.

You had no time to do past papers under exam conditions but you had the time to attempt STEP papers all for an A-Level Exam? Highly believable I must admit.

Lastly, your GCSEs are just below average for Oxford. Many successful applicants have a majority of A*s at GCSE. Please stop complaining about the system and Extenuating Circumstances. Work instead.

Hope this helps.
As a reapplicant myself I would ask, do you really want to go through the stress of the application again, this time knowing you put a year on hold for it?
Hun, you don’t have extenuating circumstances, they are serious circumstances such as long term illness or bereavement. You just didn’t have the best teachers or environment for the exam, no one else’s fault. Lots of people have bad teachers at time. Unfortunately it just appears you aren’t Oxford quality, don’t blame the system, don’t blame other people. Just accept it and move on
Reply 19
Original post by squembalina
Hun, you don’t have extenuating circumstances, they are serious circumstances such as long term illness or bereavement. You just didn’t have the best teachers or environment for the exam, no one else’s fault. Lots of people have bad teachers at time. Unfortunately it just appears you aren’t Oxford quality, don’t blame the system, don’t blame other people. Just accept it and move on

really you think it's fair that I cam compared to a candidate who has been in sixth form and had good study conditions to me like that?

wow if it happened to you I am sure you wouldn't think so

just sounds like you are jelly at this rate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending