The Student Room Group

USA admission requirements HELP

Hi! So I have a question. For students from the UK, when they apply to USA are the requirements only GCSE and predicted A level results? Or they want to look at GCSE mocks and grade 10 results aside from GCSE?

Looking for people who have experience in applying!

Thank you
They'll look at your GCSE grades, they may consider A-level predicted grades, and they'll look at your SAT/ACT scores and admissions essays. I highly doubt they'll care about any mock exam results, and since the UK system is set up differently than the US system (notably, there is no running GPA system here) they won't be in a position to evaluate other "results" that aren't formally examined externally.
Original post by artful_lounger
They'll look at your GCSE grades, they may consider A-level predicted grades, and they'll look at your SAT/ACT scores and admissions essays. I highly doubt they'll care about any mock exam results, and since the UK system is set up differently than the US system (notably, there is no running GPA system here) they won't be in a position to evaluate other "results" that aren't formally examined externally.

Hey! Thanks for replying. Did you apply to the US before?
Original post by moumisayed
Hey! Thanks for replying. Did you apply to the US before?

I spent a while considering it (as I'm a US citizen, I just grew up here), and took the SAT etc, but the cost was prohibitive (unless I went to a state school in Maine, which was...not appealing; or if I got into Harvard/etc which was never going to happen) so in the end I didn't pursue it further.
I spent a while considering it (as I'm a US citizen, I just grew up here), and took the SAT etc, but the cost was prohibitive (unless I went to a state school in Maine, which was...not appealing; or if I got into Harvard/etc which was never going to happen) so in the end I didn't pursue it further.

oh cool, personally i would love to go to the US. But i dont want them to see my grade 10 grades lol. u sure about them not looking at mocks and grade 10 grades tho? sorry i dont wanna press u but i got different answer from different people so just reconfirming.
oh cool, personally i would love to go to the US. But i dont want them to see my grade 10 grades lol. u sure about them not looking at mocks and grade 10 grades tho? sorry i dont wanna press u but i got different answer from different people so just reconfirming.

The only thing they're going to really be looking at are your qualifications that can be confirmed externally (by the exam boards) and possibly (since such a concept doesn't exist in the US) your predicted grades based on your academic reference's comments. Your SAT/ACT scores will be much more important as they will actually be directly comparable to US students.

A more relevant concern would be, how are you planning to pay for university in the US? SFE doesn't fund international study, you can't apply for FAFSA unless you're a US citizen, and you won't be eligible for in-state tuition for the same reason. With the exception of a handful of need blind universities (Harvard et al - which are also much more competitive than their UK counterparts, Cambridge having an average success rate of 20% compared to 5% at Harvard) there is extraodinarily limited scholarship funding.
The only thing they're going to really be looking at are your qualifications that can be confirmed externally (by the exam boards) and possibly (since such a concept doesn't exist in the US) your predicted grades based on your academic reference's comments. Your SAT/ACT scores will be much more important as they will actually be directly comparable to US students.

A more relevant concern would be, how are you planning to pay for university in the US? SFE doesn't fund international study, you can't apply for FAFSA unless you're a US citizen, and you won't be eligible for in-state tuition for the same reason. With the exception of a handful of need blind universities (Harvard et al - which are also much more competitive than their UK counterparts, Cambridge having an average success rate of 20% compared to 5% at Harvard) there is extraodinarily limited scholarship funding.

Qualifications meaning the board exams only right? Oh yeah and I realized that earlier. I’m only going to be applying to private universities as they are the only ones to provide financial aid to international students. Plus, universities that have records of being generous to international students, only those.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi! So I have a question. For international students doing IGCSE, when they apply to USA are the requirements only IGCSE and predicted A level results? Or they want to look at IGCSE mocks and grade 10 results aside from IGCSE?

My Mock grades are bad and so are my grade 10s. I started getting serious in grade 11 so I only want them to see my IGCSE and A level predictions.

I know there are other requirements like SAT/ACT. But, do they look at grade 10 grades and any GCSE mocks?

Looking for people who have experience in applying to the US!

Thank you
Reply 8
Hi! So I have a question. For international students doing IGCSE, when they apply to USA are the requirements only IGCSE and predicted A level results? Or they want to look at IGCSE mocks and grade 10 results aside from IGCSE?

My Mock grades are bad and so are my grade 10s. I started getting serious in grade 11 so I only want them to see my IGCSE and A level predictions.

I know there are other requirements like SAT/ACT. But, do they look at grade 10 grades and any GCSE mocks?

Looking for people who have experience in applying to the US!

Thank you

Why don't you just email the colleges and see what they say?
Reply 9
No they don't look at mocks and stuff. What matters are your GCSEs and A level grades. Some colleges don't even require to submit a SAT score.
i wish I could help you but i dont understand a word you just said
Reply 11
As an international student, both are accepted in US universities. You need IGCSE and ALevel for entering into any degree.
If you've got only IGCSE then you will still be eligible but you'll have to do a foundation year or something similar and then move onto doing the degree!
Cheers!
Reply 12
First of all can I just say that I relate so hard. During my AS year I got 23% for mathematics for my term exams and ended up getting 100 for AS mathematics, (and yes the world prize too, I'm not a troll I swear) but I'm worried that admissions officers would see my grades as being "inconsistent"- that's the word I keep hearing - and that it would hurt my chances

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending