The Student Room Group

How are you feeling about Prelims?

Poll

How do you feel about prelims?

We're already getting to that time of year when prelims are fast approaching :eek4:

When are your prelims, and how are you feeling about them?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My Higher prelims begin shortly after we return in January after Christmas break. Sadly we do not get study leave anymore like we used to which I prefer to revise at home. I'm doing Higher Maths, English, Geography, Design & Manufacture and Geography. I have to confess I have done no revision at all except from some supported study sessions. I feel terrible just like with my National 5's because I feel if I do bad in them the chances of me sitting Higher will be gone.
(edited 5 years ago)
Our higher prelims are in January next year, think they’ll be alright as long as I keep up with my revision I’m following at the moment, after last year I’m a lot more able to plan my studying and manage time, best of luck with prelims :smile: Though I’m apprehensive about not having much time between prelims, going to be intense if it’s the same setup as last year.
Original post by Scottish15
My Higher prelims begin shortly after we return in January after Christmas break. Sadly we do not get study leave anymore like we used to which I prefer to revise at home. I'm doing Higher Maths, English, Geography, Design & Manufacture and Geography. I have to confess I have done no revision at all except from some supported study sessions. I feel terrible just like with my National 5's because I feel if I do bad in them the chances of me sitting Higher will be gone.

At this stage, the fact you've been going to some supported study and have presumably been doing some homework and/or revision for class tests is definitely a good start! There is still time to put in some revisions for prelims, but remember they're not your end goal- the exams in May are.
In terms of worrying about doing badly in them, if you pass the prelim I can't really see any reason why a school wouldn't out you in for the exam. And generally schools and teachers recognise that you can still improve a lot in 4 months, so even if you don't pass it in January, if you work hard, you can do well in the final exam.
Don't place too much value on prelims, but there's always people here willing to help if you need a hand with anything :smile:
Original post by WestDragon
Our higher prelims are in January next year, think they’ll be alright as long as I keep up with my revision I’m following at the moment, after last year I’m a lot more able to plan my studying and manage time, best of luck with prelims :smile: Though I’m apprehensive about not having much time between prelims, going to be intense if it’s the same setup as last year.

Sounds like you're well on the way to feeling ready for them, and great to hear that the experience of Nat 5s has improved how you're preparing now :smile:
The thing about how squished together they all are is never ideal :no: There's always that possibility in the ones in may as well, if you're unfortunate enough. Just make sure you keep being ready well in advance and look after yourself during the exam period, so you are able to do your best in the later ones!
Our National 5 prelims start right after winter break and I haven't really had a chance to start studying because we are currently doing assignments . I take English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Engineering Science and Latin.
Our prelims start in January 2019. We get study leave, I am in S4. I’m doing all National 5’s at the moment, I took (English, Maths) French, Modern Studies, Art & Design ans Graphic Communication. I am drowning in work. I didn’t realise how much time Art would take up and I’m struggling. Prelims are approaching fast so fingers crossed I do well! 😬😂
Haha, I've been so busy with a healthy mix of course work and procrastination I've not even started revision yet (help) - like most of you mine are in January, so at least I've got the Christmas break!
Original post by NamiBread
Our National 5 prelims start right after winter break and I haven't really had a chance to start studying because we are currently doing assignments . I take English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Engineering Science and Latin.

How have your assignments been going so far? Do you have a plan for over the holidays or work better without one? :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
How have your assignments been going so far? Do you have a plan for over the holidays or work better without one? :smile:

I guess the assignments are going well, there's still 2 to go and I plan on aligning my other revision with a revision timetable our chemistry teacher gives us.
I guess the assignments are going well, there's still 2 to go and I plan on aligning my other revision with a revision timetable our chemistry teacher gives us.

Good to hear they are going well :smile: It's a bit of a pain if you've ended up having to do them all at the same time though :s-smilie:
Sounds good :smile:
Good to hear they are going well :smile: It's a bit of a pain if you've ended up having to do them all at the same time though :s-smilie:
Sounds good :smile:

Thanks. They were supposed to be planned separately but the teachers were waiting for the SQA and meeting and they all coincided.
Thanks. They were supposed to be planned separately but the teachers were waiting for the SQA and meeting and they all coincided.

Aah, that's a bit rubbish it turned out like that...Least it gets them out of the way!
Aah, that's a bit rubbish it turned out like that...Least it gets them out of the way!

That's the thing, I'm doing such subjects that I have a lot of assignments so I actually have another one to do in February.
I sat my prelims earlier this week, majority of them are next week. I just hate prelims my school does them so close together and it's so frustrating cos you've only got that night to study for your next prelim.
That's the thing, I'm doing such subjects that I have a lot of assignments so I actually have another one to do in February.

They're a pain, but you can do it! :yep: :smile:
Original post by adqwilson
Our prelims start in January 2019. We get study leave, I am in S4. I’m doing all National 5’s at the moment, I took (English, Maths) French, Modern Studies, Art & Design ans Graphic Communication. I am drowning in work. I didn’t realise how much time Art would take up and I’m struggling. Prelims are approaching fast so fingers crossed I do well! 😬😂

Oo, lucky you with study leave for prelims! Do you think you'll benefit from it, or work better in school?
Art is a pretty time consuming subject! Is it the quantity of work overall, or is it managing your time that you're struggling with, or something else?
Original post by LeastWolf
Haha, I've been so busy with a healthy mix of course work and procrastination I've not even started revision yet (help) - like most of you mine are in January, so at least I've got the Christmas break!

There's still time to get some revision in! Decide which times you're going to work, and try and give it your full attention during that time, then take time off from revision. Is it highers you're doing this year?
They're a pain, but you can do it! :yep: :smile:

thanks for the support
got my nat 5 prelims in the first week back after the Christmas holidays :eek3:
I really want to do well but I'm not sure how to manage my revision time right now. Anyway I've still got an assignment to do next week so once I've got that out the way I can focus on my prelims.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending