The Student Room Group

Revision techniques

I am currently a year 12 student, studying biology and chemistry. My average grade for both is a B and C. To revise I make revision cards, mindmaps and notes. I then memorise it and try to answer some textbook or exam questions. How can I improve my grades, from the techniques I am already doing?
Biology
I learn the content from here first and check if it covers all the content from my textbook. I add some more detail to it (the 'HowScienceWorks' boxes that we all skip ) and then learn that too.

After doing that, all I do is PRACTICE QUESTIONS as I believe that this is the key to Biology as there are soo many application questions. I write down the questions that I got wrong and memorise them to prevent me from making that mistake in the future.
I memorise the Mark Scheme for as many questions as possible, as similar questions in biology will have an overlapping mark scheme which expects certain key words and won't give you the marks unless you state those 'exact words'.
I once lost marks for describing some equipment as 'accurate' but I got it wrong because the mark scheme only accepted the word 'precise'.

Where I get my Biology practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):

Past and Specimen Papers for all AQA, OCR and Edexcel

Ask your teachers for more questions

Chemistry
This subject is actually the easiest and most straight-forward one to revise for. LITERALLY, the only studying I do is memorising the Chemrevise revision notes and then doing past paper questions. The AQA Chemistry questions are soo repetitive so memorising mark schemes helps a lot! I also note down the questions I got wrong and learn the mark schemes to them.

Where I get my Chemistry practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):

Past and Specimen Papers for all AQA, OCR and Edexcel

Ask your teacher for more questions

Reply 2
Unjaded jade - youtuber, who makes really good revision content, and specific videos for science subjects etc. I suggest you check it out 😊
Reply 3
Original post by Infinite Series
Biology
I learn the content from here first and check if it covers all the content from my textbook. I add some more detail to it (the 'HowScienceWorks' boxes that we all skip ) and then learn that too.

After doing that, all I do is PRACTICE QUESTIONS as I believe that this is the key to Biology as there are soo many application questions. I write down the questions that I got wrong and memorise them to prevent me from making that mistake in the future.
I memorise the Mark Scheme for as many questions as possible, as similar questions in biology will have an overlapping mark scheme which expects certain key words and won't give you the marks unless you state those 'exact words'.
I once lost marks for describing some equipment as 'accurate' but I got it wrong because the mark scheme only accepted the word 'precise'.

Where I get my Biology practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):
[ul]
[li] Past and Specimen Papers for all AQA, OCR and Edexcel[/li]
[li] Physics&MathsTutor[/li]
[li] SaveMyExams[/li]
[li] Ask your teachers for more questions[/li]
[li] pxs biology[/li]
[/ul]

Chemistry
This subject is actually the easiest and most straight-forward one to revise for. LITERALLY, the only studying I do is memorising the Chemrevise revision notes and then doing past paper questions. The AQA Chemistry questions are soo repetitive so memorising mark schemes helps a lot! I also note down the questions I got wrong and learn the mark schemes to them.

Where I get my Chemistry practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):
[ul]
[li] Past and Specimen Papers for all AQA, OCR and Edexcel[/li]
[li] Physics&MathsTutor[/li]
[li] SaveMyExams[/li]
[li] Ask your teacher for more questions[/li]
[li] A-LevelChemistry.com[/li]
[/ul]

Wow, Thank you so much for that! Very informative and I appreciate the links you left! God bless you x
Reply 4
Original post by bigana
Unjaded jade - youtuber, who makes really good revision content, and specific videos for science subjects etc. I suggest you check it out 😊

Quick Reply

Latest