The Student Room Group

Not got correct clothes for school dance - what should I do?

I have the school Christmas dance on Friday. It's formal just like a prom.

My parents didn't seem to listen when I said that I needed a suit for it. We went shopping and my dad just treated it like a joke.

Long story short, I never got a suit, I ended up with some hideous navy coloured trousers and a shirt.

I can't go to this dance as the worst dressed guy there. I haven't got the money to buy anything else, but every other guy will be wearing a suit.

I'm also just feeling really upset that they wouldn't listen to what I was saying and the end result is something I don't want to wear. I was actually hoping to look good.

This is urgent. What should I do?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Rent a suit for a day
Original post by Joe2001
I have the school Christmas dance on Friday. It's formal just like a prom.

My parents didn't seem to listen when I said that I needed a suit for it. We went shopping and my dad just treated it like a joke.

Long story short, I never got a suit, I ended up with some hideous navy coloured trousers and a shirt.

I can't go to this dance as the worst dressed guy there. I haven't got the money to buy anything else, but every other guy will be wearing a suit.

I'm also just feeling really upset that they wouldn't listen to what I was saying and the end result is something I don't want to wear. I was actually hoping to look good.

This is urgent. What should I do?

Try explaining to them - in a different way than you did the first time - how truly important it is to you. See if they will go back with you and exchange what you bought. If there's any possibility that money is an issue, they might not be able to afford a suit and be doing the best they can for you. As parents, they may be covering that up with a joke because it's painful for them and they don't want you to feel bad. If this is the case, and it's that important to you, offer to do some part time work to help pay for it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
You can try going to a charity shop and buying a suit cheap, if money's the issue. Explain it again and say you really need it.
Original post by Going Back
Try explaining to them - in a different way than you did the first time - how truly important it is to you. See if they will go back with you and exchange what you bought. If there's any possibility that money is an issue, they might not be able to afford a suit and be doing the best they can for you. As parents, they may be covering that up with a joke because it's painful for them and they don't want you to feel bad. If this is the case, and it's that important to you, offer to do some part time work to help pay for it.

If they can afford for me to be at private school, they can afford a suit. My dad acts like this all of the time when it comes to clothes, as if me and what I wear is a joke.
Reply 5
You can go to a charity shop, secondhand shop or high street places such as primark to get a cheap suit
It's tomorrow night. I still don't have anything.

I'm absolutely dreading being embarrassed in front of everyone.
Start with this word: Honeyyyyyyyy?
Original post by doubleGs
Start with this word: Honeyyyyyyyy?

And then what?
i've been there. i wore trainers and baggies, at a end of year ball in primary. I looked like a member of The Backstreet Boys :rofl: but still got dances, kisses and whatnot :wink:
Original post by Bang Outta Order
i've been there. i wore trainers and baggies, at a end of year ball in primary. I looked like a member of The Backstreet Boys :rofl: but still got dances, kisses and whatnot :wink:

That was Primary. Not the same thing.
I want to actually cry. I was considering shopping for a blazer this morning and searched them up.

Way too expensive. I'm absolutely stuffed now as it's tonight. What can I do now? EVERY other guy is wearing a suit while I am turning up in clothes which are hideous and too casual.
Original post by Joe2001
That was Primary. Not the same thing.

lol whatever
Reply 13
Original post by Joe2001
I want to actually cry. I was considering shopping for a blazer this morning and searched them up.

Way too expensive. I'm absolutely stuffed now as it's tonight. What can I do now? EVERY other guy is wearing a suit while I am turning up in clothes which are hideous and too casual.

Talk to your parents again, explain you can't go if you don't meet the dress code. If you can't borrow a suit (brother or other family member?) say it would be your Christmas present.
Original post by Joe2001

Have you actually tried any of the suggestions? Just go and say your jacket got damaged ... or stay and home if you aren't brave enough.

[PS not everyone that goes to a Private school has spare money]
Original post by Muttley79
Have you actually tried any of the suggestions? Just go and say your jacket got damaged ... or stay and home if you aren't brave enough.

[PS not everyone that goes to a Private school has spare money]

I've tried going shopping to high street stores, but I haven't had enough time to go anywhere else.
Reply 16
Original post by Joe2001
I've tried going shopping to high street stores, but I haven't had enough time to go anywhere else.

Try charity shops.
Original post by Joe2001

I don't understand why you let them buy unsuitable stuff in the first place if you were with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending