The Student Room Group

Stay at home or move out for uni vote!!!

So Im super confused and would love some advice! I have a few options:

1) stay at home and go to a better London uni but have to commute in on trains in rush hour
2)move out and go to a less well-known uni out of London

Scroll to see replies

Living at uni gives you the full experience, and it'll be easier to access the lecturers and library etc, but it will get lonely.
Reply 2
B, I was considering staying in London but I’ve decided I’m definitely moving out of this crap whole
Reply 3
Original post by Kyle331
B, I was considering staying in London but I’ve decided I’m definitely moving out of this crap whole

A whole mood, I don’t know if I’ll be able to last another 4 years here :/
Reply 4
honestly get out of London as soon as you can, or else you'll just never leave or go anywhere else
Reply 5
Original post by Wi11ow
A whole mood, I don’t know if I’ll be able to last another 4 years here :/

Don’t know what some people like about this place, it’s honestly a **** hole unless ur filthy rich
Move out
Depends how important saving money is for you.
Reply 8
That isn’t really an option for me just because of the expense of it, it seems such a waste if I have a room in London free of rent anyway. And also for a Fine Art degree, London would have the best universities available. But thank you anyway!
Have you submitted your UCAS application? What are the specific universities and courses being considered?
Original post by goodgirl05
Living at uni gives you the full experience, and it'll be easier to access the lecturers and library etc, but it will get lonely.

what "full" experience? the only difference between studying away from home and at home is going to uni in your pj's, and sometimes that's not even a difference. You still get societies, clubs, events, discounts, education, sex, debt, connections. Well the main difference is more independence/self sufficiency staying home because your parents will make you pay your own way. You know nothing.
Original post by LostAccount
Depends how important saving money is for you.

lol
Reply 12
Ahh thank you so much! I’ll definitely consider it!
Original post by Wi11ow

1) stay at home and go to a better London uni but have to commute in on trains in rush hour

I would go to the better uni in London and live in halls. I go to uni in London and know loads of people who are from London and still live in halls/private accommodation.
So much misinformation above...

If you enjoy clubbing/drinking then move out for Uni. When people talk about the "Uni experience" of living in halls, they're referring to the sweaty moshpits of drunk students in cramped bars/clubs. If that appeals to you, then move out.

If you don't enjoy clubbing/drinking then stay at home. People will say "you won't make friends" or "you will miss out on the experience"; both of which are untrue. You can still join socieities and make friends through your courses.
Original post by Wi11ow

The easy answer is 2. But The bigger question is which university and location do you prefer? Do you like where you live will your parents charge you rent do you ant an active social life will your parents restrict you if you keep coming home at 4am can you get home ant a reasonable time and how long is the commute more than 0.5 of an hour I say for sure live out you need ton sider all these things.
Original post by Wi11ow
I haven’t submitted it yet but my top choices are:
Fine art at either Chelsea College of Arts or Central st Martins in London- Im currently on the foundation there so I’ll get a guaranteed place on a UAL course
Or Painting at Brighton

UAL CSM is highly competitive to get into if I had a place there I would take it. I think networking/connections is very important for the creative arts industry;the best location for obtaining this is London. I would highly consider University of Edinburgh School of Art as it does have the highest overall international international ranking/reputation out of all UK institutions for Art/Design.
Reply 17
Original post by JudaicImposter
UAL CSM is highly competitive to get into if I had a place there I would take it. I think networking/connections is very important for the creative arts industry;the best location for obtaining this is London. I would highly consider University of Edinburgh School of Art as it does have the highest overall international international ranking/reputation out of all UK institutions for Art/Design.

Thank you sm I’ll check it out!
Original post by Bang Outta Order
lol

Real answer tho.

Saving over 5-10k a year... in a lot of cases also means more time to work part-time because you can share cooking/cleaning/shopping or because your parents/relatives do it, which not only means you save but you earn more.

There's quite a few people in my uni who earn 9k a year in part-time work and don't get any loans at all, so they graduate debt-free. It's doable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending