The Student Room Group

Red Dead 2 is not fun - it's not an enjoyable experience

Biggest let down of the generation easily. Why is no one calling out how excrutiatingly painful this game is to play?

To say this game is slow is an understanement. The movement speed on and off the horse is painful.

I've played 8 hours so far, of which there has been around 30-40 minutes of truely fantastic gameplay and enjoyable set pieces. One moment had me cheering outloud.

The rest of my time has been slowly, so very slowly, plodding around the map whilst not actually even holding my controller in my hand waiting to get from A to B. The missions are massively padded in the wrong way and I feel like I'm spending hours of excrutiating boredom to get to the next enjoyable bit.

I know plenty of other people that feel the same, but none of the reviews talk about the exessive padding or sloooooooooooow pace of the game.

What are your thoughts TSR?

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've not played it yet (held off because I was on Assassin's Creed Odyssey during release with Hitman 2 just a couple of weeks off) but I'm sad to hear this - it was a concern during the build up, the ultra realism like needing to eat, bathe etc can be fun as an optional survival mode but can be a massive, tedious slog. It's not that bad is it?
Games are all subjective - many people may love a game whereas many may hate it; that’s kind of the beauty of the gaming industry, even if loads of people like a game you have your own opinion and that’s fine. I’m sure there are other people who feel the same as you.

Unfortunately there does seem to be a tendency for people to go “the reviews say it’s good therefore it’s good”.

I had a similar experience with Mario Odyssey: I liked it, but didn’t think it was as amazing as all the reviewers said it was.
Reply 3
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I've not played it yet (held off because I was on Assassin's Creed Odyssey during release with Hitman 2 just a couple of weeks off) but I'm sad to hear this - it was a concern during the build up, the ultra realism like needing to eat, bathe etc can be fun as an optional survival mode but can be a massive, tedious slog. It's not that bad is it?

It's worse unfortunately. It's not even these micro actions that are the main problem, although they do add to the tedium. It the slow pace of the entire game and navigating the map and general situations. The set pieces are few and far between but spectacluar but getting to them is so frustrating it has made the game unplayable for me.
Reply 4
Original post by blootle456
Games are all subjective - many people may love a game whereas many may hate it; that’s kind of the beauty of the gaming industry, even if loads of people like a game you have your own opinion and that’s fine. I’m sure there are other people who feel the same as you.

Unfortunately there does seem to be a tendency for people to go “the reviews say it’s good therefore it’s good”.

I had a similar experience with Mario Odyssey: I liked it, but didn’t think it was as amazing as all the reviewers said it was.

Totally agree with you on all points, and with your thoughts on Mario Odyssey. People can tend to read a review and adopt it as their own without their own independent thought process and critique...
Reply 5
I don't know how you can come to that conclusion, really, but fair enough. I loved it. I literally played nothing else for 3 weeks, I was never off it. It is only as slow as some of the old Westerns, and I love all the old Westerns, so maybe that's the difference. It's not balls-to-the-wall, it's more of an immersive cinematic experience and I love it because of that.
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
I don't know how you can come to that conclusion, really, but fair enough. I loved it. I literally played nothing else for 3 weeks, I was never off it. It is only as slow as some of the old Westerns, and I love all the old Westerns, so maybe that's the difference. It's not balls-to-the-wall, it's more of an immersive cinematic experience and I love it because of that.

I've never watched a movie, western or otherwise, that regularly has the main character riding a horse for 20 minutes with no conversation, events or interactions. Yes the game looks nice, but to lable laboriously long and regular horse rides where you put down the controller and wait an eternity to get from A to B is not a cinematic experience and is not my idea of fun.

I get it's each to their own, but I'm surprised more people aren't voally speaking out about the pace of this 'game'.
youre wrong
Reply 8
Original post by DannyBastow
youre wrong

How so?
Original post by Steve82
Biggest let down of the generation easily. Why is no one calling out how excrutiatingly painful this game is to play?

To say this game is slow is an understanement. The movement speed on and off the horse is painful.

I've played 8 hours so far, of which there has been around 30-40 minutes of truely fantastic gameplay and enjoyable set pieces. One moment had me cheering outloud.

The rest of my time has been slowly, so very slowly, plodding around the map whilst not actually even holding my controller in my hand waiting to get from A to B. The missions are massively padded in the wrong way and I feel like I'm spending hours of excrutiating boredom to get to the next enjoyable bit.

I know plenty of other people that feel the same, but none of the reviews talk about the exessive padding or sloooooooooooow pace of the game.

What are your thoughts TSR?

From my experiance of the game so far I've got to strongly disagree. From the gripping story line to excellent action sequences I really cannot understand whats not to like. Even the long journies in horseback across the deadly terrain in a such emersive world that has never felt more alive can be breath taking. This game is Rockstars greatest work so far, and the so called 'slowness' is an underapreciation of their efforts to create this immersive world.
Reply 10
You’re not the only one

There are lots of reviews out there all saying that it’s slow

just take a flick through the 1 star reviews on amazon
Reply 11
Original post by Steve82
I've never watched a movie, western or otherwise, that regularly has the main character riding a horse for 20 minutes with no conversation, events or interactions. Yes the game looks nice, but to lable laboriously long and regular horse rides where you put down the controller and wait an eternity to get from A to B is not a cinematic experience and is not my idea of fun.

I get it's each to their own, but I'm surprised more people aren't voally speaking out about the pace of this 'game'.

I don't think I ever rode a horse in RDR2 for 20 minutes without some sort of interaction (really).
Reply 12
Original post by gjd800
I don't think I ever rode a horse in RDR2 for 20 minutes without some sort of interaction (really).

I did. Towards the beginning I killed the legendary bear and thern slowly galloped back to the nearest town - took ages. Once I finally arrived there - horse on auto pilot (cinematic mode) - the horse bumped into a pedestrian and I got arrested! My character is now locked in jail and I'm treated to a seemingly endless loop of him laying in bed in jail and then looking out the window over and over again.

I do agree with others that the story is excellent and the action sequences are amazing, however they're so few and far between that they're not worth the excruciating wait.

I'm really sad to say I'm disappointed with this game. Red Dead Redemption was in my top 5 of all time.
Reply 13
Most games these days are overhyped imo

Even if everyone else is rating it 10/10, ..sometimes the game just won't particually be your cup of tea
Reply 14
Original post by Steve82
I did. Towards the beginning I killed the legendary bear and thern slowly galloped back to the nearest town - took ages. Once I finally arrived there - horse on auto pilot (cinematic mode) - the horse bumped into a pedestrian and I got arrested! My character is now locked in jail and I'm treated to a seemingly endless loop of him laying in bed in jail and then looking out the window over and over again.

I do agree with others that the story is excellent and the action sequences are amazing, however they're so few and far between that they're not worth the excruciating wait.

I'm really sad to say I'm disappointed with this game. Red Dead Redemption was in my top 5 of all time.

I never autopilot apart from the bits where it is compulsory, so maybe that's got something to do with it! Do ambushes etc stop if you are on auto? For a large chunk of the game it seemed like I couldn't go 200 yards without some ******* shooting at me.
Reply 15
Original post by gjd800
I never autopilot apart from the bits where it is compulsory, so maybe that's got something to do with it! Do ambushes etc stop if you are on auto? For a large chunk of the game it seemed like I couldn't go 200 yards without some ******* shooting at me.

Ok I'll give that a try! The world has felt pretty unpopulated and empty to me, so maybe this is where I'm going wrong. I really want to enjoy this game so maybe this will help...
Reply 16
Original post by Steve82
Ok I'll give that a try! The world has felt pretty unpopulated and empty to me, so maybe this is where I'm going wrong. I really want to enjoy this game so maybe this will help...

I'm not sure if it's a thing or not but it does seem really weird that you aren't encountering many NPCs!
It's definitely slow paced but I loved it. You need to have patience to enjoy it.
I really enjoyed the pacing of Red Dead 2. I thought it had so many things to do - the stranger and ? marks as you travel to and fro allow you to constantly interact with the world. Changing your Arthur with multiple different outfits, holding up random stores and creating your own enjoyment inbetween the missions by playing with what the game has to offer.

I really enjoyed hunting, and I was able to do it for hours. I spent ages just collecting meat for Pearson, skinning animals and making cool clothes at the Trapper. If you aren't one for the long horse rides (which I mostly did manually because of the many things you can do on the way), you could always try using things like the stagecoach, train, etc. They get you to destinations pretty quickly and your horse is always there.

I personally really enjoyed the game and found it to be amazing. The one, single pet peeve I had with the game was walking slowly around camp which was a little frustrating at first. I slowly realised that it gave me a lot of time to interact with characters around the camp and learn interesting lore, stories, and information from teasing members of the gang or being nice to them.

I understand a few of your gripes, but of course it's subjective. A lot of your problem with enduring long horse rides with nothing to do was not my experience. I found myself interacting with people caught in bear traps, running into treasure hunters, being attacked by gangs, or stumbling into a legendary animal area. I often found that I had too much to do, and that was great.

A lot of your critiques are understandable and common with some others I've seen review it. Hopefully you can pick it up another time and appreciate it, if not, onto the next game!

:smile: Josh
It's a decently made game , but way overrated.

Quick Reply

Latest