The Student Room Group

What colour of suit shirt and tie to wear to a wedding

Going to wedding in February and I was wondering what colour of suit I should wear?
Original post by Marky wwww
Going to wedding in February and I was wondering what colour of suit I should wear?

Really I would say up to you tbh...

A light grey, three piece suit with plain light shirt always looks good imo!
It really is up to you, wear what compliments your appearance
Why don’t you try this combination : White Shirt + Navy Blue Tie + Light Grey Trousers + Light Grey Blazer + Black Formal Shoes. Do share the pictures.
I assume you're a student and that you probably don't own many if any suits, and are looking to buy?

If so you want to get something you are going to wear time and time again - so go for a solid charcoal or navy blue suit. If your budget stretches to £250-300, I'd recommend TM Lewin. Also, both charcoal and navy are ideal colours for a winter wedding.

The shirt and tie you can play around with - get colours that complement or contrast with each other and always wear a darker and bolder tie than the shirt. The last wedding I went to I wore a solid pink shirt and blue paisley tie.

Good link at combining colours and patterns here - https://www.thedarkknot.com/pages/how-to-match-ties-to-suits-shirts

Finally, shoes. My rule of thumb would be if you're in a rural setting, brown is better, but if in the city, I'd opt for black. Much of a muchness though.
Reply 5
I have grey pinstripe suit a navy suit and a black suit
Reply 6
Original post by chrisharrison
Why don’t you try this combination : White Shirt + Navy Blue Tie + Light Grey Trousers + Light Grey Blazer + Black Formal Shoes. Do share the pictures.
Never wear trousers and jacket in the same colour if they aren't a suit. It looks untidy. Light grey trousers and a dark blue or maybe burgundy jacket would look far more distinctive and classy.
Reply 7
I have grey pinstripe suit a navy suit and a black suit
Grey. Don't wear black to a wedding.
Reply 8
will show you photos going get suited up in a bit just to what you think
Reply 9
Original post by Tootles
Never wear trousers and jacket in the same colour if they aren't a suit. It looks untidy. Light grey trousers and a dark blue or maybe burgundy jacket would look far more distinctive and classy.

Original post by chrisharrison

will show you photos going get suited up in a bit just to what you think

IMG_20181206_020257.jpg
IMG_20181206_020257.jpg
Where did you learn how to tie a tie? The point of the thick end should just touch the waist of your trousers, and the thin end should be hidden.
Reply 11
Original post by Tootles
Where did you learn how to tie a tie? The point of the thick end should just touch the waist of your trousers, and the thin end should be hidden.

IMG_20181209_154736_883.jpg
Reply 12
IMG_20181209_154736_883.jpg

DSC_0039.JPG

Quick Reply

Latest