The Student Room Group

Was I almost robbed or something?

So I just watched a video about a girl who almost had a human trafficking experience and it reminded me of an experience I had about a month ago. I was walking home around 9pm or 10pm and obviously it was very dark. My family had recently moved to this area so I wasn’t familiar with how it was at night, though it was definitely different to where I used to live because to walk home from the station to my old house I’d go through the high street that had shops and restaurants which was always busy at that time with cars and people. But in this new area the street it was completely quiet and empty because it was all houses.
So anyways I was walking home, wearing headphones and listening to music (so I couldn’t hear anything) when I noticed a second shadow next to mine. I started to pick up my pace a bit and didn’t look behind me out of fear that someone was walking so close next to me. The person then quickly came in front of me, stopping me. It looked like he had been speaking to me when I was walking but Idk. He looked like he was in his early twenties or late teens and was very well dressed, wearing a trench coat and sweater. He then apologised and said he thought I was someone else but it was nice to meet me and then held out his hand to shake mine. I had a bad feeling in my gut but I stupidly shook his hand anyways and smiled. He then said I have a really nice smile and it was nice to meet me, and then he turned and started walking ahead of me. I kept my distance from him and he walked in front of me for a while. Then two guys on the other side of the street (they were wearing all black) came out of nowhere and joined him and they walked together for a while, before they all suddenly took off down the street running. At this point I was highly freaked out and wondering wtf had just happened but luckily to get to my house I have to turn down another street and they’d ran past it. The whole walk home though I was completely paranoid and kept looking behind me in case they’d turned back or something. Even when I’d gotten home I didn’t feel safe (my family was out so I was home alone for like an hour) and legit had to turn on all the lights and close all the curtains till my parents came home.
Idk if I’m overthinking what happened, maybe the guy was being friendly but my gut feeling said otherwise, especially when the two other guys joined him. 6am thoughts rn wondering what could’ve happened to me that night
Original post by Anonymous
So I just watched a video about a girl who almost had a human trafficking experience and it reminded me of an experience I had about a month ago. I was walking home around 9pm or 10pm and obviously it was very dark. My family had recently moved to this area so I wasn’t familiar with how it was at night, though it was definitely different to where I used to live because to walk home from the station to my old house I’d go through the high street that had shops and restaurants which was always busy at that time with cars and people. But in this new area the street it was completely quiet and empty because it was all houses.
So anyways I was walking home, wearing headphones and listening to music (so I couldn’t hear anything) when I noticed a second shadow next to mine. I started to pick up my pace a bit and didn’t look behind me out of fear that someone was walking so close next to me. The person then quickly came in front of me, stopping me. It looked like he had been speaking to me when I was walking but Idk. He looked like he was in his early twenties or late teens and was very well dressed, wearing a trench coat and sweater. He then apologised and said he thought I was someone else but it was nice to meet me and then held out his hand to shake mine. I had a bad feeling in my gut but I stupidly shook his hand anyways and smiled. He then said I have a really nice smile and it was nice to meet me, and then he turned and started walking ahead of me. I kept my distance from him and he walked in front of me for a while. Then two guys on the other side of the street (they were wearing all black) came out of nowhere and joined him and they walked together for a while, before they all suddenly took off down the street running. At this point I was highly freaked out and wondering wtf had just happened but luckily to get to my house I have to turn down another street and they’d ran past it. The whole walk home though I was completely paranoid and kept looking behind me in case they’d turned back or something. Even when I’d gotten home I didn’t feel safe (my family was out so I was home alone for like an hour) and legit had to turn on all the lights and close all the curtains till my parents came home.
Idk if I’m overthinking what happened, maybe the guy was being friendly but my gut feeling said otherwise, especially when the two other guys joined him. 6am thoughts rn wondering what could’ve happened to me that night

Did you notice anything missing out of pockets? It does sound very strange!

Unfortunately it may well have been targeted and they might have honestly mistaken you for someone else, in which case you could have ended up in a much worse state! Thankfully it sounds like they had to abort mission. Keep an ear out in case there’s any similar incidents which don’t end so well as you have seen his face which may be useful in another incident of a similar nature. Otherwise I don’t personally think you need to “report” it as, although it’s strange, no harm came to you.

However if you feel the need to report it then do so. At the very least I’d get as much of it down on paper as possible whilst you still remember it just in case it comes back to bite you or could help in someone else’s case. Include descriptions of them, date, time and place if you can!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by carrotstar
Did you notice anything missing out of pockets? It does sound very strange!

Unfortunately it may well have been targeted and they might have honestly mistaken you for someone else, in which case you could have ended up in a much worse state! Thankfully it sounds like they had to abort mission. Keep an ear out in case there’s any similar incidents which don’t end so well as you have seen his face which may be useful in another incident of a similar nature. Otherwise I don’t personally think you need to “report” it as, although it’s strange, no harm came to you.

However if you feel the need to report it then do so. At the very least I’d get as much of it down on paper as possible whilst you still remember it just in case it comes back to bite you or could help in someone else’s case. Include descriptions of them, date, time and place if you can!

Fortunately when I got home I checked my bag and pockets and nothing was gone, I forgot to add that.
Oh, I never thought that it could have been genuinely targeted for someone else. I just thought the guy was trying to distract me or something. But yeah I’ll keep updated on if there are any similar incidents and I’ll write down all the details you mentioned in case I ever do need to report it. Thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
Fortunately when I got home I checked my bag and pockets and nothing was gone, I forgot to add that.
Oh, I never thought that it could have been genuinely targeted for someone else. I just thought the guy was trying to distract me or something. But yeah I’ll keep updated on if there are any similar incidents and I’ll write down all the details you mentioned in case I ever do need to report it. Thank you!

Or, perhaps depending on their age, it could have been a simple dare! However a bit strange to complete on a quiet street at night!

Try not to lose sleep over it, I’m not sure they could have gained anything if you haven’t lost anything!
Reply 4
Original post by carrotstar
Or, perhaps depending on their age, it could have been a simple dare! However a bit strange to complete on a quiet street at night!

Try not to lose sleep over it, I’m not sure they could have gained anything if you haven’t lost anything!

Yeah I guess that makes sense.
Don’t worry, I definitely didn’t lose sleep thinking about it haha, I already couldn’t sleep and was on YouTube and the video I watched just reminded me of the incident (id pretty much forgotten about it).
Don't walk alone at night whilst listening to music. You need to be so aware of your surroundings.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Don't walk alone at night whilst listening to music. You need to be so aware of your surroundings.

This pretty much.

It never hurts to be aware of your surroundings. Even if I'm in my car, parked at the side of the road on my phone with the doors locked, I'm always glancing around to make sure no one sketchy is around.
Reply 7
Original post by bones-mccoy

yeah I’ve learnt from that now, my parents said the exact thing when I told them what happened

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending