The Student Room Group

Diazepam experiences

I have just started taking 10mg per day of Diazepam for my social phobia, it works EXTREMELY well compared to previous medicine (SSRIs, SNRIs and Buspar)

I was wondering how much risk is there of tolerance at this dose and how long will it take to develop typically?
Reply 1
Hi Daniel,

My GP said that the risk of tolerance is very high with benzodiazepines, like diazepam. 10mg is a reasonably high dose (it also comes in 2mg and 5mg tablets).

I was told that it is best to only use diazepam occasionally for panic/extreme stress and it's not to be used everyday for longer than a week as withdrawal from benzo addiction is very hard.

Have you tried beta-blockers? They don't carry the same risk of tolerance and can be used daily, although they're contraindicated/not suitable if you have asthma
Only good for short term use.
Reply 3
I'm on beta blockers for something else and they don't do much for anxiety
It would only be good for short term use as you will develop a tolerance. A better option if not offered yet may be more beneficial in the long term, CBT is often used.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
How many 10mg's have you been prescribed and how often are you intending to use it?

As a first time user, 10mg is a very high dose, that'd knock out most first time users.

Tolerance with valium and all other benzo's is a big issue. For me personally, I was dose doubling every week to get the same effect.

So it was like
Week 1: 5mg
Week 2: 10mg
Week 3: 20mg
Week 4: 40mg

So within 4 weeks I was taking 280mg per week which is quite a lot to be honest. I then ran out of it and went cold turkey. After 2 days I went back to the doctor and explained what happened, it took me 2 ½ months to ween off of it properly, I really got myself in a sticky situation.

I now use betablockers (40mg Propranolol) much more, because there are no issues with tolerance. They don't work a tenth as well with the mental side of my anxiety. Though they do reduce the physiological signs such as fast heart race, shaky hands, jittery etc...

I don't know too much about social phobia so I can't be of much more help. I do take 300mg Venlafaxine and 150mg Pregabalin to help with my anxiety as well as my depression. Both of which have no tolerance or addiction issue, but they do have HUGE dependency issues. I decided in January to come off of Pregabalin and the withdrawal effects were horrible, it took me 3 months to be fully clean but the anxiety was too much so I had no option other than to go on it again.

May I ask what SSRI's/SNRI's you have used in the past and what dose?

And are you taking either at the moment? And what betablocker are you taking at what dose?

Please quote me when you reply so I remember to reply to you!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I've used diazepam, as I can't take beta-blockers due to my asthma. There is a very high risk of tolerance and I'm surprised you have such a high dose. My GP only gave me 2mg tablets (though I take more than one if I need them as 2mg doesn't help enough) and she was very iffy about giving me that.

It should be ok if it's short term use (i.e. less than a week since you're taking it everyday). If you just take it for your most extreme anxiety/panic (so from time to time as opposed to everyday), it can be taken for longer.
(edited 11 years ago)
I use 2mg for occasional stress related anxiety, and that took the edge off of it. The side effects from that alone, personally, were enough to put me off taking it unless I absolutely need it.

What I'd suggest is that if you're worried about tolerance and dependence, speak to your GP and pharmacist about it. They're the ones who will have the greatest knowledge about it and will help.
Original post by Daniel_R
I was wondering how much risk is there of tolerance at this dose and how long will it take to develop typically?

I can only take a dose two or three times before I get tolerant to it. Started on 2mg and have worked up to 10mg now in a few months used VERY sparingly. I'm amazed you were given 10mg to start. As other people have said you'd be better off finding a different solution to your anxiety.
Reply 9
I have just started taking 10mg per day of Diazepam for my social phobia, it works EXTREMELY well compared to previous medicine (SSRIs, SNRIs and Buspar)

I had temazepam for 4 weeks (10mg first 2 20mg second 2 which i think is equivalent to 5mg and 10mg diazepam respectively) for insomnia/anxiety and to be honest coming down off that wasn't great and there was a couple of days where i was waiting for the prescription where I ran out of those and was starting an SSRI so that was pretty grim!

But while I was talking the temazepam it seemed to work really well, definitely chills you out/helps you sleep I found but obviously because they are addictive not suitable for long term use (think 4 weeks was the max and originally my GP only wanted to give me a week).

But got me through a few weeks of hell so I'm very grateful to it to be honest!
Original post by Rybee
How many 10mg's have you been prescribed and how often are you intending to use it?

As a first time user, 10mg is a very high dose, that'd knock out most first time users.

Tolerance with valium and all other benzo's is a big issue. For me personally, I was dose doubling every week to get the same effect.

So it was like
Week 1: 5mg
Week 2: 10mg
Week 3: 20mg
Week 4: 40mg

So within 4 weeks I was taking 280mg per week which is quite a lot to be honest. I then ran out of it and went cold turkey. After 2 days I went back to the doctor and explained what happened, it took me 2 ½ months to ween off of it properly, I really got myself in a sticky situation.

I now use betablockers (40mg Propranolol) much more, because there are no issues with tolerance. They don't work a tenth as well with the mental side of my anxiety. Though they do reduce the physiological signs such as fast heart race, shaky hands, jittery etc...

I don't know too much about social phobia so I can't be of much more help. I do take 300mg Venlafaxine and 150mg Pregabalin to help with my anxiety as well as my depression. Both of which have no tolerance or addiction issue, but they do have HUGE dependency issues. I decided in January to come off of Pregabalin and the withdrawal effects were horrible, it took me 3 months to be fully clean but the anxiety was too much so I had no option other than to go on it again.

May I ask what SSRI's/SNRI's you have used in the past and what dose?

And are you taking either at the moment? And what betablocker are you taking at what dose?

Please quote me when you reply so I remember to reply to you!

I used to take heroine but I I found it to moreish.

There is quite a high risk of developing a high tolerance at this dose, so it would be best to only use it if absolutely necessary.

Have you previously taken Pregabalin? That can be very helpful for anxiety.

Have you been offered therapy at all?
Reply 12
Original post by suitepee
There is quite a high risk of developing a high tolerance at this dose, so it would be best to only use it if absolutely necessary.

Have you previously taken Pregabalin? That can be very helpful for anxiety.

Have you been offered therapy at all?

The post you are replying to is 5 years old.
Stop taking them is my advice to you,there is extremely high likelihood of addiction and toleraance levels will go up and up.ive done a withdrawal from these tablets and trust me it's not nice.Do yourself a favour taper yourself off them and never touch them again

Quick Reply

Latest