The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

University of Westminster 2019 Official Applicants thread

Hello everyone :wavey:

Welcome to the 2019 Westminster thread. This is a place for you to introduce yourself and speak with other applicants. I’m happy to answer any questions you might have about Westminster and living in London in general.

What course are you applying for?

Are you coming to an Open Day?

Where are you applying from?

Is there a question you want to ask Kim?

Best of luck with your applications :happy2:

Kim :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What course are you applying for? Bio medical science
Are you coming to an Open Day? -
Where are you applying from? Pakistan
Is there a question you want to ask Kim?-
(edited 5 years ago)
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Film
Already have
UK
Can you get an unconditional offer for film and how?
Original post by n1cole
Film
Already have
UK
Can you get an unconditional offer for film and how?

Hi there

We're not giving Unconditional Offers for Film BA Honours.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Reply 4
What course are you applying for? Psychology with Foundation
Are you coming to an Open Day? Yes, the one in March
Where are you applying from? London
Is there a question you want to ask Kim? As I am applying for a foundation year but I get better grades than was predicted at the moment, would my offer automatically update to the standard degree?
Original post by ar.jpeg
Is there a question you want to ask Kim? As I am applying for a foundation year but I get better grades than was predicted at the moment, would my offer automatically update to the standard degree?

Original post by ar.jpeg

Hi there

It's great to hear you're doing really well in your studies. If you do better than your predicted grades then you will be moved on to the standard degree.

Best of luck

Kim
Reply 6
Original post by University of Westminster
Hi there

We're not giving Unconditional Offers for Film BA Honours.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team

I have heard from people getting unconditional offers last year and in previous years in Film, was it only this year it changed? Or are they only given in very rare occasions?
Reply 7
Hi there

It's great to hear you're doing really well in your studies. If you do better than your predicted grades then you will be moved on to the standard degree.

Best of luck

Kim

Thank you so much, is this guaranteed if my grades are higher than my predicted ones or will it be dependent on spaces available on the course?
Original post by n1cole
I have heard from people getting unconditional offers last year and in previous years in Film, was it only this year it changed? Or are they only given in very rare occasions?

Hi there

The only time a person receives an Unconditional Offer for the Film BA Honours is if they already have passed their A Levels with the required grades and have had their portfolio assessed by the course leader. It is very rare this does happen.

Just a heads up on the admissions process for Film. Applicants must complete a questionnaire and submit an essay. You'll be asked to write about a ‘book you have read about film’ and submit a portfolio ideally of you creative ideas or a short film they have produced. The course leader has little interest in hearing about film based internships that you might have undertaken... he wants to hear about your own ideas and projects.

Best wishes and good luck!

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9

What course are you applying for? Film Production

Are you coming to an Open Day? Yes

Where are you applying from? UK

Is there a question you want to ask Kim? I have completed the film questionnaire about a month ago, I have not received a UCAS rejection email but haven't got a call for an interview. I was just wondering when I would hear back from the University? Is it likely to be before or after Christmas? Many thanks in advance

Original post by Lucia23

What course are you applying for? Film Production

Are you coming to an Open Day? Yes

Is there a question you want to ask Kim? I have completed the film questionnaire about a month ago, I have not received a UCAS rejection email but haven't got a call for an interview. I was just wondering when I would hear back from the University? Is it likely to be before or after Christmas? Many thanks in advance

Hi there

I've spoken with the Admissions Team and they said you should have heard from us by now. Can you DM me your name and I'll look into this for you.

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
What course are you applying for? Film BA
Are you coming to an Open Day? Already been!
Is there a question you want to ask Kim? At the open day I was told I don't have to have video work in my portfolio but now I have an interview it seems that you do expect it. Will it limit my chances of getting an offer if I don't have any video work? (I do have screenplays and photography work)
Original post by AnnaGapYear
Is there a question you want to ask Kim? At the open day I was told I don't have to have video work in my portfolio but now I have an interview it seems that you do expect it. Will it limit my chances of getting an offer if I don't have any video work? (I do have screenplays and photography work)

Hi there

If you don't have any video work don't worry. The course tutor will consider screenplays instead. The course team realise that not every student will have video work to show but will be stronger in other areas such as screenplays.

Good luck with your interview.

Kim
Course Enquiries Team

Are you coming to an Open Day? No, I'm an international (EU) student so I couldn't go

Where are you applying from? Budapest, Hungary

Is there a question you want to ask Kim? I've already asked some questions about the portfolio process in film degree (in private message and in the "Q & A with the Westminster Rep" thread). :h: I'm just so excited about this, sorry :colondollar:

Original post by AnnaMirjam

Are you coming to an Open Day? No, I'm an international (EU) student so I couldn't go

Where are you applying from? Budapest, Hungary

Is there a question you want to ask Kim? I've already asked some questions about the portfolio process in film degree (in private message and in the "Q & A with the Westminster Rep" thread). :h: I'm just so excited about this, sorry :colondollar:

Hi Anna

I've just responded to you regarding our Film BA portfolio requirement but here are the portfolio requirements again:

Portfolios should be made up mostly of work you have done outside of college or school. You can put coursework in, but this should be a small amount.

The tutors are not expecting a polished showreel. Your portfolio can consist or anything that you’re interested in that demonstrates your own individuality and motivation. Some of the best portfolios are personal and important to the applicant for instance a sketchbook or journal.

You can submit photographs, reviews, drawings, paintings, videos but ideally a complete project or a large section of something.

The best applications have around 6 portfolio pieces, demonstrating a variety of skills. Bad examples include ‘re-filming of a music video’. Good example was a re-filming of a scene from Psycho but that explained what technical camera skills he was developing by doing this.

Your portfolio should demonstrate a genuine interest in film, your enjoyment of collaboration, and your individual motivation.

Best of luck with your application Anna.

Original post by AnnaGapYear

Hi Anna

It won't limit your chances of getting an offer if you haven't done any video work. Screenplays and Photography are great examples of creativity.

Best of luck

Kim
Hi Anna

I've just responded to you regarding our Film BA portfolio requirement but here are the portfolio requirements again:

[ul]
[li]Portfolios should be made up mostly of work you have done outside of college or school. You can put coursework in, but this should be a small amount.[/li]
[li]The tutors are not expecting a polished showreel. Your portfolio can consist or anything that you’re interested in that demonstrates your own individuality and motivation. Some of the best portfolios are personal and important to the applicant for instance a sketchbook or journal. [/li]
[li]You can submit photographs, reviews, drawings, paintings, videos but ideally a complete project or a large section of something.[/li]
[li]The best applications have around 6 portfolio pieces, demonstrating a variety of skills. Bad examples include ‘re-filming of a music video’. Good example was a re-filming of a scene from Psycho but that explained what technical camera skills he was developing by doing this. [/li]
[li]Your portfolio should demonstrate a genuine interest in film, your enjoyment of collaboration, and your individual motivation. [/li]
[/ul]
Best of luck with your application Anna.

Hi Anna

It won't limit your chances of getting an offer if you haven't done any video work. Screenplays and Photography are great examples of creativity.

Best of luck

Kim

Thank you very much Kim! It helped me a lot.
Reply 17

What course are you applying for?- International business.

Are you coming to an Open Day?- No.

Where are you applying from?- India.

Is there a question you want to ask Kim?- Can you get an unconditional offers for this course?

Reply 18
Hi, I’m Holly!

I’m applying for the Film course from London!
When I went to the open day, a questionnaire before the interview was mentioned, was just wondering if that meant a questionnaire online or in person?

Thank you!
Original post by hmscott
Hi, I’m Holly!

I’m applying for the Film course from London!
When I went to the open day, a questionnaire before the interview was mentioned, was just wondering if that meant a questionnaire online or in person?

Thank you!

Hi Holly

The admissions team will send out a questionnaire by email which you will need to complete and email back. If you are shortlisted then you will be invited to attend an interview in person at the University.

Best of luck

Kim

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending