The Student Room Group

The Christmas Loneliness Thread

Christmas can be a hard time for many people, it can be hard when everyone around you is having fun. You might be lonely because you're at uni and can't go home for Christmas, you're family might live abroad or be divorced, maybe you're home is unsafe due to abuse or other factors. Perhaps you do have a family to go to but you still feel alone as you suffer with a mental health issue which can make you feel isolated at a time where everyone expects you to be happy.
Whatever the reason this thread is here to support each other who feel lonely over the festive period :grouphugs: unlike the Grinch thread which is more relaxed and jokey this is a more serious thread where we can share what's troubling us over the period :hugs:
Other organisations open over the Christmas period include Samaritans the contact details of which are :
Phone : 116 123 (free)
Text: +44 7725 909090 (standard text charge) they reply every couple of hours so is good if you aren't in urgent need of help but want someone to talk to but aren't confident on the phone
Email: [email protected] (free) they reply every few days
TSR also has its own mental health support society

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4962094

Let's keep each other company over Christmas :grouphugs:

@Paracosm @She-Ra

Scroll to see replies

I am not sure if I am going home for Christmas yet, I don't like being around my father since he is emotionally abusive and with it being Christmas leave he is around more. But I do want to see my parent but just not him :/
Original post by CoolCavy
I am not sure if I am going home for Christmas yet, I don't like being around my father since he is emotionally abusive and with it being Christmas leave he is around more. But I do want to see my parent but just not him :/

Its a good idea for a thread.

Is there any way you can do something christmassy where you live? and invite your other parent to you for a bit?

---

For me, I am a bit lonely but its a reverse of your situation, my family (despite all their problems in general) are wonderful at christmas, but I am stuck 5000 miles away in a part of the world where no one celebrates christmas. Every day I am getting videos sent through of all my family having fun together, and I am very out of it.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Its a good idea for a thread.

Is there any way you can do something christmassy where you live? and invite your other parent to you for a bit?

---

For me, I am a bit lonely but its a reverse of your situation, my family (despite all their problems in general) are wonderful at christmas, but I am stuck 5000 miles away in a part of the world where no one celebrates christmas. Every day I am getting videos sent through of all my family having fun together, and I am very out of it.

That sucks :hugs:
Seeing people have loads of fun together and you're left out is always upsetting :frown: :hugs:
This is such a lovely idea for a thread @CoolCavy

:hugs:
As someone who often feels lonely, I love this thread :biggrin:
relateable :redface:
:console: am around if you want to vent about it :yes:

Original post by She-Ra
This is such a lovely idea for a thread @CoolCavy

thank you she rah, it was paracosms idea though i just wanted to run it as a perpetually lonely person :redface:

Original post by RichPiana
As someone who often feels lonely, I love this thread :biggrin:

:hugs: how are you doing today?
Atm Papyrus's text lines are closed for maintenance (they have been for a while :s-smilie: ) but @BlinkyBill and @Gothic Kitten would you be able to find out when they are going to be open again on thursday? :smile:
relateable :redface:
:console: am around if you want to vent about it :yes:

thank you she rah, it was paracosms idea though i just wanted to run it as a perpetually lonely person :redface:

:hugs: how are you doing today?

Not doing too bad, thanks. Could be better though :h:
Atm Papyrus's text lines are closed for maintenance (they have been for a while :s-smilie: ) but @BlinkyBill and @Gothic Kitten would you be able to find out when they are going to be open again on thursday? :smile:

I'll ask them today, :smile:
Original post by BlinkyBill
I'll ask them today, :smile:

@CoolCavy - I asked them! They're doing some work on their text line and email at the moment, but they're hoping to have it back up and running next week (fingers crossed!).
I don't know if I belong in here because I feel like people have worse problems, but I'm not looking forward to it this year. My parents split up 4 years ago and for some reason still try to play happy families at Christmas, so we all still get together as a family of 6, but I just think it feels awkward as anything. Christmas used to be amazing.

Also, my partner and I just want to spend Christmas together, but because of circumstances we can't do that. So I'm upset about that as well.

I have too much work to do before I finish for Christmas, and at the moment it feels like I won't get it finished at all.

Everything just feels "wrong", and the complete opposite to what I think Christmas should feel like. I struggle with anxiety and depression anyway, and the fact that Christmas doesn't feel the same anymore just brings me down so much more. Even though I'm not alone, I do feel lonely. I have an idea in my head of what Christmas should be (it always was like that before my parents split up, it was just amazing) and the fact that it isn't like that anymore - yet somehow everyone else seems to be having a great time - really messes with my head and just makes me feel alone, even if I'm not alone physically.
(edited 5 years ago)
yeah sure
Original post by BlinkyBill
@CoolCavy - I asked them! They're doing some work on their text line and email at the moment, but they're hoping to have it back up and running next week (fingers crossed!).

Thank you so much or finding out blinky :hugs:

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I don't know if I belong in here because I feel like people have worse problems, but I'm not looking forward to it this year. My parents split up 4 years ago and for some reason still try to play happy families at Christmas, so we all still get together as a family of 6, but I just think it feels awkward as anything. Christmas used to be amazing.

Also, my partner and I just want to spend Christmas together, but because of circumstances we can't do that. So I'm upset about that as well.

I have too much work to do before I finish for Christmas, and at the moment it feels like I won't get it finished at all.

Everything just feels "wrong", and the complete opposite to what I think Christmas should feel like. I struggle with anxiety and depression anyway, and the fact that Christmas doesn't feel the same anymore just brings me down so much more. Even though I'm not alone, I do feel lonely. I have an idea in my head of what Christmas should be (it always was like that before my parents split up, it was just amazing) and the fact that it isn't like that anymore - yet somehow everyone else seems to be having a great time - really messes with my head and just makes me feel alone, even if I'm not alone physically.

Course you belong here :hugs: anyone is welcome, can really relate to the happy families thing, is really frustrating when you know everyone hates each other but have to pretend to get along at christmas
:hugs: hope you are as ok as possible <3

Original post by Mr Johnson
yeah sure

:hello: welcome
This thread is super wholesome.:hugs:
Original post by 04MR17
This thread is super wholesome.:hugs:

Thanks MR :hugs: how are you doing? It's been a bit lonely at uni this week what with everyone going home, have had to work an extra week cos of extensions but am finally done now :smile:
Thanks MR :hugs: how are you doing? It's been a bit lonely at uni this week what with everyone going home, have had to work an extra week cos of extensions but am finally done now :smile:
:console: I've been okay. There's an element of loneliness when here at home because I do miss all my uni friends and of course Cheese but it's also nice to see family.:smile: Was quite lonely last Christmas though but that's because I had other stuff going on. :redface:
Original post by 04MR17
:console: I've been okay. There's an element of loneliness when here at home because I do miss all my uni friends and of course Cheese but it's also nice to see family.:smile: Was quite lonely last Christmas though but that's because I had other stuff going on. :redface:

well we need to meet up after christmas then :yep: i have to come back to uni before the 7th cos of an appointment but is plenty of time in between the 25th and then :hugs:
need to give you your card :mmm:
[video="youtube;BvjterYmC98"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvjterYmC98[/video]
So in the end i did go home (only because i wanted to see my parent and my favourite pet) am finding it quite straining already being around the other two members of this 'family' but am just keeping myself to myself (am sleeping in my pets room)

Original post by Infinite Series
x

an excellent edition to this thread
[video="youtube;77ao2LBa_eY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ao2LBa_eY[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest