The Student Room Group

PETA mocked for suggesting animal-friendly alternatives to popular phrases

The organisation said common phrases such as “flog a dead horse” or “kill two birds with one stone” should be replaced with the likes of “feed a fed horse” or “feed to birds with one scone”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/peta-mocked-for-suggesting-animal-friendly-alternatives-to-popular-phrases-a4009141.html

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kazzykat95

Thoughts?

I get the feeling that PETA pulls these stupid but ultimately innocuous stunts every few years so that they are what people associate with their image, rather than the fact that they're actually a pretty sh*tty organisation who have probably done a lot more harm than good to the animal rights movement for at least the last decade, including doing actual harm to actual animals.
I despair . I think the lunatics have taken over the asylum . I cannot watch the TV christmas adverts because I see more examples of this political correctness and other blatant examples of how our minds are being brainwashed to accept certain stereotypes that previously never existed .
I have nothing against any initiatives to improve animal welfare or cruelty but this is simply taking things too far . I myself have a Pet business and welcome improvements in animal welfare issues but this is a blatant publicity stunt that leaves a bad taste in the mouth .
Britain is fast becoming a country of sterile inert journalism .
This is ridiculous. 'Scone' does not rhyme with 'stone'.
"feed a fed horse" sounds like animal abuse.

Are they fattening the horse before it's slaughtered? Are they feeding it til it throws up?
Original post by yudothis
"feed a fed horse" sounds like animal abuse.

Are they fattening the horse before it's slaughtered? Are they feeding it til it throws up?

That's what I thought as well. And flogging a dead horse wouldn't be animal cruelty exactly since it's already dead:smile:. Seriously though, all those examples are old sayings that everyone is familiar with & no one takes them literally. I'm pro animal rights & disagree with a lot of the ways animals are treated but attention seeking articles like this just trivialise the whole issue and say if these expressions were dropped & replaced with new ones it would make no difference to anything that's actually happening.
Reply 6
As touched on above, I assume they know exactly what they're doing and have had a huge amount of free publicity over this in the past week.

Whether or not we think they're pretty ridiculous, the words "animal rights organisation, PETA" will have filtered through thousands of minds by this one stunt alone. That's good for them.
I'd never bothered paying attention to Peta, before this. Just considered them to be a bunch of animal rights activists. Probably lefties wearing ever-so-slightly too much tie and dye.
But now I think "Peta? ohhhhh that whacko collection of loonies" and will continue to pay them even less attention than before.
Reply 8
i can't tell if this is really smart or really stupid. PETA used to (still?) do the 'i'd rather be naked than wear fur' campaign, but the problem is we've seen naked women a million times so it's not worthy of attention anymore. what is hot tho is 'political correctness' and 'anti-political correctness' so i can see why they're doing this but it's just so laughable i can't see anyone converting to PETA over it. but maybe there's no such thing as bad publicity? :dontknow:

Thoughts?

Stone the crows! PETA is like a dog with a bone but it really is flogging a dead horse with this one. The campaign is as mad as a box of frogs! You can't badger people and monkey around their language like that; it's a hornets' nest, a red rag to a bull, a wild goose chase.
Original post by Good bloke
Stone the crows! PETA is like a dog with a bone but it really is flogging a dead horse with this one. The campaign is as mad as a box of frogs! You can't badger people and monkey around their language like that; it's a hornets' nest, a red rag to a bull, a wild goose chase.

PRSOM :biggrin:
This is the same PETA that steals puppies from gardens and puts them down for no good reason?

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/05/europe/peta-meat-idioms-scli-intl/index.html

PETA comparing phrases like 'bring home the bacon' to racism and homophobia will really divide the black transgender wheelchair bound veteran muslims who support this movement
PRSOM :biggrin:

They can bleat on about this until the cows come home but they probably thought up this idea while rat-arsed, and they will need the hair of the dog to recover. The elephant in the room is that they want people to use weasel words all the time. Well, pigs might fly before I will worship their sacred cow. I think PETA has jumped the shark and this could be an albatross around their neck.
Original post by That'sGreat
This is the same PETA that steals puppies from gardens and puts them down for no good reason?

PETA is a nest of vipers and as mad as a March hare.
this really gets my caprinid.
Original post by the bear
this really gets my caprinid.

At least you won't have any trouble sorting the sheep from the goats.

On another subject, I see the FTSE is up and may buy some shares, but I am worried that I might catch a dead cat bounce.
Precisely. As an animal rights charity they're very poor, who kidnap and kill thousands of pets every year and if you genuinely care about animal rights they're the last charity you should support - but their image is of goofy rogues pulling stunts like this and releasing **** parodies like super tofu boy and Pokémon black and blue.

Alternatively, commit to this with music too:
Original post by Good bloke
At least you won't have any trouble sorting the sheep from the goats.

On another subject, I see the FTSE is up and may buy some shares, but I am worried that I might catch a dead cat bounce.

it's a :bear: market today

:teehee:
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
but their image is of goofy rogues pulling stunts like this and releasing **** parodies like super tofu boy and Pokémon black and blue.

My personal favourite was their short lived comic run telling children that their parents are murderers.

Ok, but who does butchering in a suit?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending