The Student Room Group

compulsory to go to an informal interview?

I got an offer from Leeds in chemistry and maths a month ago, and today i accidentally clicked at the button for the applicants day on 12th Dec, they suddenly automatically sent an email saying to attend an interview on 12th Dec, which is mandatory. Do I have to attend it, I do not think I am able to attend it. The thing is i already got the offer, would they withdraw my offer if i dont go?

Thanks guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I were you, I would get in touch with them to let them know you accidentally clicked the link. As you say, if you cannot attend this interview, I would let them know as soon as you can. I'm not sure what impact it would have on your offer if you didn't turn up to this interview, but you definitely don't lose anything by giving them a call. Hope this helps and best of luck! :smile:
Original post by Linxiao
I got an offer from Leeds in chemistry and maths a month ago, and today i accidentally clicked at the button for the applicants day on 12th Dec, they suddenly automatically sent an email saying to attend an interview on 12th Dec, which is mandatory. Do I have to attend it, I do not think I am able to attend it. The thing is i already got the offer, would they withdraw my offer if i dont go?

Thanks guys

Oh dear... sounds like a terrible system :facepalm:

As @nerops said, contact Leeds about it!

Just to point out as well, attending the interview might result in a lower offer (especially if it's an informal/non-compulsory one)
Reply 3
Thanks guys, I called and got an email, both of them said I dont need to go for an interview and my offer will not be withdrawn, so i am safe!

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Linxiao
Thanks guys, I called and got an email, both of them said I dont need to go for an interview and my offer will not be withdrawn, so i am safe!

Thanks

Great news! :smile:
Reply 5
My interview is on the 12th too after which I'll get an offer. I was told my Leeds that the interview is 'part of the process' You're lucky indeed. I'm not the best interviewer so fingers crossed!
Reply 6
I am not going to the interview because they told me i do not need to go. They said that my conditional offer is only based on my exam results
Reply 7
Original post by Linxiao
I am not going to the interview because they told me i do not need to go. They said that my conditional offer is only based on my exam results

That's great. If you don't mind me asking what are your predicted grades?
Reply 8
Original post by iqqraxo
That's great. If you don't mind me asking what are your predicted grades?

My predictions are A*AA, and yours?
Reply 9
Original post by Linxiao
My predictions are A*AA, and yours?

AABB which is probably why they've asked me for an interview since my predictions aren't very competitive I guess. Yours are great btw. Congrats on your offer!! :smile:
Original post by iqqraxo
AABB which is probably why they've asked me for an interview since my predictions aren't very competitive I guess. Yours are great btw. Congrats on your offer!! :smile:

They will most likely give you an offer after the interview - they just want to make sure you would be able to handle the degree content
Original post by iElvendork
They will most likely give you an offer after the interview - they just want to make sure you would be able to handle the degree content

I really hope so. They did tell me I have a strong profile of gcses and A levels and that I'd be an ideal candidate for the course. They said an interview is 'part of the process' so hoping for the best.
Reply 12
Original post by iqqraxo
I really hope so. They did tell me I have a strong profile of gcses and A levels and that I'd be an ideal candidate for the course. They said an interview is 'part of the process' so hoping for the best.

They did not say that interview is a part of process, and literally said i dont need to go. Also i dont live in the UK, but in Europe.
Original post by Linxiao
They did not say that interview is a part of process, and literally said i dont need to go. Also i dont live in the UK, but in Europe.

Sounds like you're trying to fight me man 😂😂this is what they said to me :smile:
Screenshot_2018-12-06-20-28-53-32-compressed.png.jpeg
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by iqqraxo
Sounds like you're trying to fight me man 😂😂this is what they said to me :smile:
Screenshot_2018-12-06-20-28-53-32-compressed.png.jpeg

No i didnt mean that sorry, is that on UCAS track? Some people got reduced offers after interviews, you might be one of them! Good luck!
Original post by Linxiao
No i didnt mean that sorry, is that on UCAS track? Some people got reduced offers after interviews, you might be one of them! Good luck!

No worries. No through email actually. I emailed them today asking that I have 4 a levels and want them to consider my highest grades for an offer the next email they sent is this! I don't really think I'll get a reduced offer my predicted grades aren't what I've liked (my teachers predicted me A*A*AB but my guidance counselor decided to change that) and thank you! what course did you get an answer offer for and how long after applying did you hear back from them?
Reply 16
Original post by iqqraxo
No worries. No through email actually. I emailed them today asking that I have 4 a levels and want them to consider my highest grades for an offer the next email they sent is this! I don't really think I'll get a reduced offer my predicted grades aren't what I've liked (my teachers predicted me A*A*AB but my guidance counselor decided to change that) and thank you! what course did you get an answer offer for and how long after applying did you hear back from them?

I applied to chemistry and maths Bsc, and I got an offer after two days after applying. I ignore their interview email because they told me I do not need to attend. The speed of offer depends really, for example I am an international applicant so I got offers quickly.
Original post by Linxiao
I applied to chemistry and maths Bsc, and I got an offer after two days after applying. I ignore their interview email because they told me I do not need to attend. The speed of offer depends really, for example I am an international applicant so I got offers quickly.

I'm an international applicant as well. Still haven't heard from any of my universities with an offer. I applied three days ago so extremely nerbous!
Reply 18
Original post by iqqraxo
I'm an international applicant as well. Still haven't heard from any of my universities with an offer. I applied three days ago so extremely nerbous!

Dont worry mate, you will get all of them! They like international people because they need our money. And where are you from?
Original post by Linxiao
Dont worry mate, you will get all of them! They like international people because they need our money. And where are you from?

Haha yes. I'm from Pakistan . You?

Quick Reply

Latest