The Student Room Group

Does the bibliography count towards the word count?

I'm writing this coursework where the overall word count has to be within 10% of 2000 words. IDK if the bibliography counts but I'm not seeing this teacher until next Wednesday and it's due on that Wednesday and she never checks emails so I'd like to sort this out now tbh...
There's no set rule that applies nationwide - it depends on the regulations of your department. On your course Moodle (/whatever system your uni uses) page, does it not have a detailed list of rules for your coursework?

If not, you'll have to ask someone from your university as nobody on here will be able to tell you.
When I have done essays, my bibliography has never counted towards the word count. I feel as if it was that’d be totally unfair! However, as somebody else has said, there is no set rule so I’d be sure to check with your teacher or somebody else on your course.
Original post by emilyhaworthx
When I have done essays, my bibliography has never counted towards the word count. I feel as if it was that’d be totally unfair! However, as somebody else has said, there is no set rule so I’d be sure to check with your teacher or somebody else on your course.

In my experience (LSE), each department (and even each module) has different rules. For an essay of length 2000 words, generally bibliography doesn't count, but when I've had 3000 word essays the bibliography has been included.
Original post by LeapingLucy
There's no set rule that applies nationwide - it depends on the regulations of your department. On your course Moodle (/whatever system your uni uses) page, does it not have a detailed list of rules for your coursework?

If not, you'll have to ask someone from your university as nobody on here will be able to tell you.

Original post by emilyhaworthx

Original post by LeapingLucy
In my experience (LSE), each department (and even each module) has different rules. For an essay of length 2000 words, generally bibliography doesn't count, but when I've had 3000 word essays the bibliography has been included.

Kind of got kicked out of the group chat I have going with some other people on my course... I was making bad puns and they said you make one more pun and we'll remove you... and I did. IDK if it's permanent...
Nothing on moodle about the bibliography. It's mentioned on some pages for other coursework pieces but for some it does and some it doesn't...
Emailed teacher anyway just in case she checks between now and the deadline but I might aim to get the total word count within 10% both with and without the bibliography...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending