The Student Room Group

I got into Cambridge but now I regret it, AMA

So I am currently a third year student at Cambridge and I have to say I really regret my decision to stay here. The workload in the first year not too bad and it was manageable. The second year was really bad I was seriously considering leaving because I had almost no time to myself or for any social activities. But, I decided to ride through it and somehow scraped 57% overall and progressed to the third year.

I really wish right now I quit at the beginning of the second year. I have absolutely no time for any hobbies right now and even after spending most of my time studying I still have my doubts as to whether I can even come out with a 2:2.

I will try and get through as many of your questions as I possible can, unless there are literally 50 :u:
What course do you study?
Original post by LeapingLucy
What course do you study?

Natural Sciences
Reply 3
Which college do you go to?
What advice would you have for anyone applying/planning to apply there?
Original post by nyxnko_
Which college do you go to?
What advice would you have for anyone applying/planning to apply there?

Trinity

Make sure you know what you are signing up for. By studying at Cambridge you are essentially going to be spending a vast portion of you time on revision. Also, just turning up to lectures is not enough, you need to do prior reading otherwise you will understand absolutely nothing.
Reply 5
Original post by AlexCarter97
Trinity

Make sure you know what you are signing up for. By studying at Cambridge you are essentially going to be spending a vast portion of you time on revision. Also, just turning up to lectures is not enough, you need to do prior reading otherwise you will understand absolutely nothing.

Oh cool :thumbsup:

Also, just out of interest, which subjects do you do as part of the NatSci Tripos?
Have you asked your peers how they cope? Maybe ask for advice etc. You're very close to finishing so I would personally just stick it out.
So I am currently a third year student at Cambridge and I have to say I really regret my decision to stay here. The workload in the first year not too bad and it was manageable. The second year was really bad I was seriously considering leaving because I had almost no time to myself or for any social activities. But, I decided to ride through it and somehow scraped 57% overall and progressed to the third year.

I really wish right now I quit at the beginning of the second year. I have absolutely no time for any hobbies right now and even after spending most of my time studying I still have my doubts as to whether I can even come out with a 2:2.

I will try and get through as many of your questions as I possible can, unless there are literally 50 :u:

I'm in a similar position right now (albeit not at Cambridge).

Do you think your interests in whichever subjects you're studying as part of NatSci have eroded because of the workload? Doing CompSci at the minute and all my love for the subject has been sapped out of me :lol:
Do you have career plans?:holmes:

If you quit now would it be possible for you to gain entry/transferral onto the third year of a similar degree programme at another Russel Group university and get the loan covered by the government? If this could happen would they take into consideration that the Cambridge course it more difficult and inflate your average grade for year 1 and 2 making it easier to a get a 2:1 overall, accredited by the second institution?
it's world class for a reason
Original post by Enginerd.
Have you asked your peers how they cope? Maybe ask for advice etc. You're very close to finishing so I would personally just stick it out.

My peers have a lot of prior knowledge on certain topics and I feel they can generally pick things up faster then me.
Original post by 04MR17
Do you have career plans?:holmes:

Haven't really thought about that yet, tbh I am more worried about passing my degree
What are you doing for Part II?
Original post by nyxnko_
Oh cool :thumbsup:

Also, just out of interest, which subjects do you do as part of the NatSci Tripos?

Biochemistry and Materials Science
Original post by JudaicImposter
If you quit now would it be possible for you to gain entry/transferral onto the third year of a similar degree programme at another Russel Group university and get the loan covered by the government? If this could happen would they take into consideration that the Cambridge course it more difficult and inflate your average grade for year 1 and 2 making it easier to a get a 2:1 overall, accredited by the second institution?

It would be difficult as they would question why I am leaving such a good university in my third year.
a 2:2 from Cambridge is equivalent to a 2:1 from other Rustle group yoonies, and to a 1st from elsewhere.

:beard:
Why is natsci at cam harder than at other unis? Surely BSc natsci courses are similar at other unis?
Biochemistry and Materials Science

What inspired you to apply to Cambridge to begin with? Were you not aware of how hard it was?

Quick Reply

Latest