The Student Room Group

Blackfishing - pretending to be black - cultural appreciation or appropriation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Rainfall
She’s getting paid for looking the way she does now. She has turned herself into a light skin black woman or a mixed race woman. And she’s none of them. She knows she didn’t get paid for how She looks before but transforming herself into looking like a different ethnic background gets her the coin that real black women dont get. She said this comes from her tanning under the sun. From that skin colour to this... and her old hair texture to that... her lip size from that to that. So inappropriate and she can suck it. And no surprise, the usual people are here saying what she’s doing is fine.

She said she hasn't got no surgery but her breasts look an awful lot bigger and so does her bust from when she was 13

Is this possible natrually?
I'm not a woman but i would have thought by 13 most of those regions would already be blossoming [if they were gonna blossom]
Original post by zhog
And why did he pretend to be a black man?

"The suburban background written into Ali G's character serves as a false alibi...A lot of the humour is laughing at black street culture and it is being celebrated because it allows the liberal middle classes to laugh at that culture in a safe context where they can retain their sense of political correctness." (A comedian about Ali G. And spot on.)
@zhog furthermore, I always saw Ali G as a South Asian for a long time, until 2002, years after the series release, when his name was created to be Alistair Graham in the film, which was only made due to the series success. Until then, he was always implied to be Asian, mocking South Asians who innocently identified with or befriended blacks in city areas. As you will see, there are loads of Asian roadmen nowadays. Ali G doesnt even look white.
I saw an article the other day criticising white people for culturally appropriating "African-American Vernacular English". Surely that's cultural appropriation of cultural appropriation? And as cultural appropriation is supposedly just something white people do, when other races do it they must be culturally appropriating our culture of cultural appropriation?

Alternatively, it's a load of *******s people whinge about because they want a grievance.
Original post by ANM775
She said she hasn't got no surgery but her breasts look an awful lot bigger and so does her bust from when she was 13

Is this possible natrually?
I'm not a woman but i would have thought by 13 most of those regions would already be blossoming [if they were gonna blossom]

she’s changed everything and she’s a liar
Who actually cares? This is someone you will likely never meet doing something that doesn't affect you in any way, shape or form. This is the UK, if you really feel that angry at it, just laugh at her. Don't be the the wet wipe who gets angry because it's trendy and you're trying to impress that Hipster bartender in that Shoreditch vegan bar that you visit.
Original post by Rainfall
she’s changed everything and she’s a liar

No difference at all! /sarcasm
Yeah this is unacceptable and everyone knows why it is. I always say this everyone one wants to be black but nobody really wants to be black if you're black you can relate because you see it all the time.
(edited 5 years ago)
cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpeg

Already a thing
Who cares? Let people look the way they want to look. What harm are these people doing anyone? Don't we have more important things to worry about?
Original post by AngeryPenguin

No difference at all! /sarcasm

Lmao.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Who cares? Let people look the way they want to look. What harm are these people doing anyone? Don't we have more important things to worry about?

That can't run because when black women show off their natural beauty ie to workplaces they get told that it's ugly and unprofessional. Black women aren't even presented in the media properly personally I find it offensive that it someone would want to style themselves to someone struggles.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

People always have to be offended by something
Original post by Zeetingman
Yeah this is unacceptable and everyone knows why it is. I always say this everyone one wants to be black but nobody really wants to be black if you're black you can relate because you see it all the time.

It's the first time I've ever this said to be honest . I would have thought the opposite is true when one looks at the fashion industry and modelling. Beauty may be only skin deep but if theres a market then some people will exploit it . I know styles are changing but the fundamentals still apply .
That can't run because when black women show off their natural beauty ie to workplaces they get told that it's ugly and unprofessional. Black women aren't even presented in the media properly personally I find it offensive that it someone would want to style themselves to someone struggles.

What you wear for Instagram selfies are going to differ from what you'd wear to work. If that's what people are trying to do then no wonder they're struggling.
Original post by ThomH97
What you wear for Instagram selfies are going to differ from what you'd wear to work. If that's what people are trying to do then no wonder they're struggling.

You've misunderstood there's a correlation when black women wear their natural hair it's bad when anyone else does it it's 'wow'. If you can't see that correlation there then I don't know but then again I can't be suprised because you're not black so you can't see it the way it is...
You've misunderstood there's a correlation when black women wear their natural hair it's bad when anyone else does it it's 'wow'. If you can't see that correlation there then I don't know but then again I can't be suprised because you're not black so you can't see it the way it is...

Either I understood exactly what you were complaining about and rebutted it, or you introduced some random non-sequitur about workplace attire that you need to explain better than you have here.
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
It is racist, only pretending to be white isn't though.

who in the world wants to be white? LOL
who the hell has the time and energy to waste in giving a **** about what you wear, OP? Do you really think that we have nothing better to do than get offended over some pile of textile that you decided to wear in order to protect yourself from the mother****ing cold and humanoid dogs? Oh wait, there are some people who are like that.... wow. See, those people are quite sad, OP. They were taught to believe that caring about wearing clothes that are symbolc to a given culture that you have no connection to is evil. In my opinion, claiming that you own the thing or that it is from one cultuere when it isn't, is quite rude, but eh, I'll get over it due to me caring about semiotics and associations are not one of my top priorities. You simply wearing "black women clothing" is equivalent to me wearing a gym uniform that was traditionally worn by English men, despite not being british. Who has the time and energy to honestly give a **** for more than a 3.424 hours of their life?

OP, wear whatever the hell you want. If people come up to you and start complaining, just say "I'm wearing it because I like it, and that means I like the style of those who the outfit is associated with. What's wrong with that? Why is that a problem? I'm expressing the fact that I like it, how is that offensive?".

Honestly.
Original post by zhog
5b7efd9619000014035027fd (1).jpeg

Wouldn't get away with it these days, would he? Mind you, I never got round to asking a black person if they found him funny.

Ali G enrols at Hogwarts... now, how did that spell go again?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending