The Student Room Group

Suggestions for Computer Science books to read to put on PS

I'm looking for some CS books to read, that would demonstrate my interest in computer science on my PS. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Original post by Awkwardness101
I'm looking for some CS books to read, that would demonstrate my interest in computer science on my PS. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Start with your course structure and read around the topics that will be taught.
@PQ would you agree with the above?

This certainly isn't advice we would give out from the PS help team which I don't think you're a member of?

Experience isn't necessary though it won't hurt. Things like projects help yes but you can write a PS based just on your reading and be fine. And programming is just one aspect of compsci so we don't suggest that you focus on just that.
Original post by Awkwardness101

The things you do can be used to demonstrate your interest. Presumably you have done things, otherwise how would you know you had an interest?

Nobody should ever read things so as to be able to name check them on a PS. They should use what they have already done in their PS.
https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/background_reading.html

Books aren’t a bad idea but they’re less use than actually trying to approach different problems to come up with solutions.

The link above is for Oxford but they’re all excellent suggestions for anyone interested in computer science.
Oh dear hun! I don't have the time to read through all of that, sorry! We have a team on here for a reason and have offered some good advice above including some from unis and some very experienced reviewers (some of us work for unis). If you disagree, sorry but we do have to make sure that students get the best advice possible and correct any misconceptions from people who may not be as experienced :smile:

PS:- if a well reputed uni recommends something then I'd hardly call that sub-par advice!
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes I tagged in PQ because she is our comp sci expert. I too have been reviewing statements for a long time and have plenty of experience so stand by what I said. Have you actually read through the link that PQ provided? Or read what she wrote? Or what I wrote for that matter?

Reading around the subject doesn’t necessarily = only books. PQ started by saying that books aren’t a bad idea but practical activities help which is the same as what I said in my second post. That doesn’t = your advice of don’t read get experience which will only send applicants into a panic about getting work experience they don’t need. Funnily enough the PS help team is on the same page. Oxford’s advice is about background reading. All you’ve served to do is rant about books which you clearly have an agenda against or don’t like. Please don’t project that as ‘advice’. You’ve then talked yourself round to a mix of reading and practical activities thus contradicting yourself. Honestly it appears that even you’re not sure what you’re advising!

Anyway, I'd strongly suggest just sticking to what you know hun, leaving people with experience to talk about PSs and getting on with it as I really don't have the time to argue with you. Good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
I've already said what I had to above and that I won't read through rants or respond to arguments that don't really help the OP. Please move on and stop quoting me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending