The Student Room Group

Should i do my epq on the 2008 financial crisis?

so i chose to do an epq and i wanted to do it based on something i wanted to know more about and interested me and so i chose to do it on the 2008 financial crisis but i realised that this topic is done a lot for epq and so i was wondering would i get a lower grade for choosing a topic that is quite popular?
Reply 1
Original post by hg2001
so i chose to do an epq and i wanted to do it based on something i wanted to know more about and interested me and so i chose to do it on the 2008 financial crisis but i realised that this topic is done a lot for epq and so i was wondering would i get a lower grade for choosing a topic that is quite popular?

If you can put together a strong EPQ with good facts evidencing a plethora of research then it wouldn't matter. You will get a top grade regardless. It's important to pick something you're genuinely passionate about, you'll be able to make a good EPQ that way.
im also thinking of doing an epq on that! we can pm eachother if you want on idea on what to write about, my teacher said its a good topic, but im unsure of the question
Reply 3
Original post by Gent2324
im also thinking of doing an epq on that! we can pm eachother if you want on idea on what to write about, my teacher said its a good topic, but im unsure of the question

Original post by hg2001

If either of you have questions regarding it I may able to help you, I've touched on it in my EPQ but done loads and loads of research on it for my PS and wider knowledge about Economics in general.
Reply 4
Original post by Shiv7
If either of you have questions regarding it I may able to help you, I've touched on it in my EPQ but done loads and loads of research on it for my PS and wider knowledge about Economics in general.

I was wondering if you could recommend a few books that were useful to you and easy to understand
Reply 5
Original post by Gent2324

Sounds great! and I've decided that my question is: to what extent did the 2008 financial crisis affect the UK economy? but I've looked into it a bit, and it hasn't interested me much so I'm thinking of changing it to something about the causes.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hg2001
I was wondering if you could recommend a few books that were useful to you and easy to understand

"How Markets Fail" by John Cassidy is a discussion of this with some great detail. It does present the whole crash from an Economic perspective but honestly there's enough content in that book alone for your entire EPQ.
Reply 7
Original post by Shiv7
"How Markets Fail" by John Cassidy is a discussion of this with some great detail. It does present the whole crash from an Economic perspective but honestly there's enough content in that book alone for your entire EPQ.

thank you
Honestly, this topic/question is done every year and I think people should be more creative.
If you really are interested in finance/ the markets there is far more than just the 2008 stock crash to do an epq on.
Personally, considering "everything", I think a far more interesting and relevant question is are we headed for another stock crash now? You can then compare and go further (might make it easier) by talking about more than just the 2008 stock crash.
Reply 9
Original post by pereira325
Honestly, this topic/question is done every year and I think people should be more creative.
If you really are interested in finance/ the markets there is far more than just the 2008 stock crash to do an epq on.
Personally, considering "everything", I think a far more interesting and relevant question is are we headed for another stock crash now? You can then compare and go further (might make it easier) by talking about more than just the 2008 stock crash.

I did actually ask my teacher if I could do something about Brexit or something about another financial crisis waiting to happen but she told me that I shouldn't do something based on the future as there wouldn't be any solid facts that I could base it on and my whole essay would be based on assumptions and little facts.
Original post by hg2001
I did actually ask my teacher if I could do something about Brexit or something about another financial crisis waiting to happen but she told me that I shouldn't do something based on the future as there wouldn't be any solid facts that I could base it on and my whole essay would be based on assumptions and little facts.

Brexit and it's effects are probably being over proportionally represented this year in EPQ's too :P
I would disagree that there would be little facts as whenever people create a report for analysis (of past or future events), you have to use facts.
Otherwise it's an opinion report.
I haven't researched it myself but I do know there are theories and explanations and trends etc. from past recessions that many academics have studied/developed and you can make reference to those, when considering the current economic situation (loads of variables and markets to consider) and the likelihoods of another recession or what not.

Anyway- if you are doing the 2008 financial crash, what do you think your question / investigation will be on?
Reply 11
Original post by pereira325
Brexit and it's effects are probably being over proportionally represented this year in EPQ's too :P
I would disagree that there would be little facts as whenever people create a report for analysis (of past or future events), you have to use facts.
Otherwise it's an opinion report.
I haven't researched it myself but I do know there are theories and explanations and trends etc. from past recessions that many academics have studied/developed and you can make reference to those, when considering the current economic situation (loads of variables and markets to consider) and the likelihoods of another recession or what not.

Anyway- if you are doing the 2008 financial crash, what do you think your question / investigation will be on?

Currently, it is: to what extent did the 2008 financial crisis affect the economy?

but I want to change it to something about the causes as I find that more interesting.
Original post by hg2001
Currently, it is: to what extent did the 2008 financial crisis affect the economy?

but I want to change it to something about the causes as I find that more interesting.

Both are fine I guess but it just seems a bit pointless because if you just google those questions there would be an answer out there.
I'd rather someone investigate something that hasn't been investigated before, or something that has been investigated before, but from a new angle.
I'm not really sure there are any new angles (obviously there always is though!) for looking at the 2008 financial crash given that it's been written about to death.
Alas, it should be a good topic to get good marks in given the amount of sources you can find/reference :smile:
If you do choose the financial crisis make sure you look into
111175E7-2B67-4E54-AB4F-74A53917DB82.jpg.jpeg

Many people fail to talk about china
Reply 14
Original post by SaucyStiglitz
If you do choose the financial crisis make sure you look into
111175E7-2B67-4E54-AB4F-74A53917DB82.jpg.jpeg

Many people fail to talk about china

Will do. Thank you
Reply 15
what happened with china?
Original post by hg2001

yes thats true, you shouldn't do it on something in the future, its harder to find research for that
Original post by Shiv7

Hi, i know this is an old post but if u could send u some of your research and maybe essay ,if u are okay with it, it would be extremely helpful because i have tight deadlines to meet. thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending