The Student Room Group

Should OXBRIDGE be turned into a CHARITY???

Oxford and Cambridge universities should be turned into museums and charities. I don't believe they have any place in a 21st century meritocratic British society. For centuries, these universities have divided British society by promoting a 'them Vs us' approach to education. This is wrong. Education is about inclusively, not exclusivity. Oxbridge have limited economic growth. An increasing number of young people fail to reach their potential because these universities promote social inequality, a corrosive British class system, institutional racism, and nepotism, all methods they use to protect 'white privilege' and sustain the British class system and thus their existence. Post-Brexit Britain needs a strong economy, and Oxbridge must reform and promote an inclusive environment to achieve this. Free, universal high quality education for everyone always creates the strongest economy, just like it has in Germany and Scandinavia.

What do you think??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are bastions of the Middle Ages
Reply 2
I COMPLETELY agree
Reply 3
Original post by Mykolajiw
Oxford and Cambridge universities should be turned into museums and charities. I don't believe they have any place in a 21st century meritocratic British society. For centuries, these universities have divided British society by promoting a 'them Vs us' approach to education. This is wrong. Education is about inclusively, not exclusivity. Oxbridge have limited economic growth. An increasing number of young people fail to reach their potential because these universities promote social inequality, a corrosive British class system, institutional racism, and nepotism, all methods they use to protect 'white privilege' and sustain the British class system and thus their existence. Post-Brexit Britain needs a strong economy, and Oxbridge must reform and promote an inclusive environment to achieve this. Free, universal high quality education for everyone always creates the strongest economy, just like it has in Germany and Scandinavia.

What do you think??

Assertions do not make an argument, you may or may not be able to demonstrate society is as you paint it but you singularly fail to put forward any evidence or argument that A has caused B.

It might also be somewhat more honest if you considered historical context across the centuries to which you refer, Oxford and Cambridge , for most of their history, might possibly be more a reflection of the societies during these centuries rather than the sole formers of said societes.
Nonsense.
Oxbridge is world famous with students from all over the world seeking admission.
They operate as an academic meritocracy dedicated to seeking out the highest achieving students who are committed to fulfilling personal ambitions that tend to be sky high.
High calibre teaching standards, impressive facilities, students considered "the cream of the cream" who combine talent with ambition, perseverance, the determination to succeed and skilled industry networking.
It is true that not everyone wants to apply to enter that sort of environment or can fit in without causing trouble to others.
I didn't apply because it wasn't for me but its far from accurate to assert that Oxbridge is culturally reflective of the Middle Ages.
They are both charities already!
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
Nonsense.
Oxbridge is world famous with students from all over the world seeking admission.
They operate as an academic meritocracy dedicated to seeking out the highest achieving students who are committed to fulfilling personal ambitions that tend to be sky high.
High calibre teaching standards, impressive facilities, students considered "the cream of the cream" who combine talent with ambition, perseverance, the determination to succeed and skilled industry networking.
It is true that not everyone wants to apply to enter that sort of environment or can fit in without causing trouble to others.
I didn't apply because it wasn't for me but its far from accurate to assert that Oxbridge is culturally reflective of the Middle Ages.

They recruit with certain schools in mind, where the offspring of money launderers attend. It’s a well-known practice in the Oxbridge admissions process
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
They are both charities already!

Turn them into refuges instead, or hospitals
Turn them into refuges instead, or hospitals

Addenbrookes and the John Radcliffe.

Seriously, put some research into it!
Reply 9
Oxford and Cambridge universities should be turned into museums and charities.

As said by others they are already charities.

They also host excellent museums including the Fitzwilliam and Ashmoleum.

I COMPLETELY agree

Good to see you agree with yourself :yep:

PS. Moved to Educational debate
(edited 5 years ago)
First off, you mentioned meritocracy and yet that is exactly what Oxbridge is?? They select people on academic ability. This isn’t in the past where you had to be from a certain background and even, god forbid, a certain gender.

Secondly, there are plenty of other brilliant institutions - lots of which are also extremely selective. People even now refer to the “golden circle” of universities. Where do you draw the line? If you got rid of Oxbridge, why not others which have pretty much the same entry requirements?
The issue is that Oxbridge is no longer just about who comes from where, there are plenty of measures in place which have guaranteed people from poorer backgrounds and worse schools places. The thing they all have in common is that they are extremely intelligent and worked extremely hard to get in.

Education is still inclusive, but Oxbridge offers a different type of teaching - many people would drop under the vast workload you are given their. But why should people who are able to cope with that and prefer a faster and heavier pace of learning be restricted to somewhere they don’t feel they are being pushed as much?

Also please provide some evidence to back up your argument
Reply 11
where the offspring of money launderers attend

Does your username have experience of this?
Reply 12
Original post by Doonesbury
Does your username have experience of this?

Because I’m from Eastern Europe? Last time I checked, I’m pretty sure racism was against the site’s rules😊
Reply 13
Because I’m from Eastern Europe? Last time I checked, I’m pretty sure racism was against the site’s rules😊

Just an unnecessary generalisation. A bit like your view of Oxbridge...
Reply 14
Original post by Doonesbury
Just an unnecessary generalisation. A bit like your view of Oxbridge...

You people😂😂😂 oxbridge is not a race, and criticising an institution shouldn’t be met with discrimination. I’d take a good hard look at your response on here, as it’s completely unjustified. Maybe it’s because you have a child at oxbridge so of course he/she must be better than everyone else? Apart from your ridiculous post on here, you’re in violation of the rules, which you remind people of on a daily basis. It’s sad really

What do you think??

IIRC* JG Ballard thought they should be turned into postgrad only research centres - I'm also a bit doubtful about the real value of super elite undergraduate teaching - lots of successful countries seem to manage without it and just have their undergrads at the local uni.

*I can't quote mine anything off the internet - if you're interested I'll try rummage my books later after I've done a few errands
you’re in violation of the rules, which you remind people of on a daily basis.

How would you know, given you've only made 30 posts and only joined a few days ago...?

It's almost as if you're a dope, have had numerous accounts, and keep getting banned for trolling... :rolleyes:

:troll:
Reply 17
Original post by Drewski
How would you know, given you've only made 30 posts and only joined a few days ago...?

It's almost as if you're a dope, have had numerous accounts, and keep getting banned for trolling... :rolleyes:

:troll:

Since when did sharing my opinion become trolling? I would say it’s pretty obvious that racism is against the rules😂
Reply 18
I COMPLETELY agree

Did you respond to your own post in agreement?

You're taking your rejection really badly, I feel.
Or they could just make a more conscious effort to make their school more diverse and reflective of the actual world population without sacrificing achievement rather than being shut down/converted into museums and charities?