The Student Room Group

Going into extra

Is it too risky to decline all offers just to go to extra?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Syipx
Is it too risky to decline all offers just to go to extra?

It depends how much you have changed your mind about the offers you have.
Original post by ageshallnot
It depends how much you have changed your mind about the offers you have.

just a little bit tbh but i am now just worried that if i decine all offers, i wont receive offers from the extra and therefore having to go to clearning.
Original post by Syipx
just a little bit tbh but i am now just worried that if i decine all offers, i wont receive offers from the extra and therefore having to go to clearning.

More details are needed before anyone can give you more focuseded advice. Course? Unis initially chosen? Proposed unis? Entry requirements? Qualifications achieved and predictions?
More details are needed before anyone can give you more focuseded advice. Course? Unis initially chosen? Proposed unis? Entry requirements? Qualifications achieved and predictions?

the course i am doing no is a BTEC level 3 health and social and i want to do either just law or law and criminology though i have applied to do law and criminology. i have chosen UWE, plymouth, swansea, London south banks and trinity st davids. the entry requirements for those unis are DDM and my predictions are D*D*D*. Hope this helps.
If you get higher than the entrance requirements of the course you firm, you can go into clearing (I'm pretty sure), so hold on to your current offer and choose to let it go if you find something you prefer.
I think this is how it works......
Original post by Syipx
the course i am doing no is a BTEC level 3 health and social and i want to do either just law or law and criminology though i have applied to do law and criminology. i have chosen UWE, plymouth, swansea, London south banks and trinity st davids. the entry requirements for those unis are DDM and my predictions are D*D*D*. Hope this helps.

And which courses/unis do you want to apply to now?
Original post by AzureCeleste
If you get higher than the entrance requirements of the course you firm, you can go into clearing (I'm pretty sure), so hold on to your current offer and choose to let it go if you find something you prefer.

really? because i have to accept an offer by May next year or all my offers will go. so does it mean i can still go into clearing evn though i have accepted an offer?
And which courses/unis do you want to apply to now?

just law in exeter
Original post by Syipx
really? because i have to accept an offer by May next year or all my offers will go. so does it mean i can still go into clearing evn though i have accepted an offer?

As far as I am aware yes. You accept an offer in May. However if you exceed the offers requirements, (so you get AAA but requirements were BBB or something) then you can look in clearing if there is something there you would prefer
As far as I am aware yes. You accept an offer in May. However if you exceed the offers requirements, (so you get AAA but requirements were BBB or something) then you can look in clearing if there is something there you would prefer

omg glad to hear! thanks for the help!
Yes it can be risky for 2 reasons. Law at Exeter may not be in extra and secondly they may reject you. Before taking this risk you would be advised to check whether the course is in extra and whether they are likely to consider you with your grades and the course you have studied. If you have applied within the last 14 days ring ucas and ask them to replace one of your choices with Law at Exeter as this is less risky. If you are rejected in extra you can apply to other universities one at a time.
Original post by swanseajack1
Yes it can be risky for 2 reasons. Law at Exeter may not be in extra and secondly they may reject you. Before taking this risk you would be advised to check whether the course is in extra and whether they are likely to consider you with your grades and the course you have studied. If you have applied within the last 14 days ring ucas and ask them to replace one of your choices with Law at Exeter as this is less risky. If you are rejected in extra you can apply to other universities one at a time.

thank you for the advice! i am thinking of ringing exeter up to see whether they will accept my qualification and if they do, hopefully they have a space in extra!:smile: thanks again!
Original post by Syipx
thank you for the advice! i am thinking of ringing exeter up to see whether they will accept my qualification and if they do, hopefully they have a space in extra!:smile: thanks again!

That is a sensible approach.

You might also have a chance via Adjustment - if you exceed the terms of your firm offer then you can look for other courses without losing your place.

You might also have a chance via Adjustment - if you exceed the terms of your firm offer then you can look for other courses without losing your place.

i was actually thinking about that earlier! but if i do go into adjustment, will the personal statment still matter? for example, my personal statement includes why i want to do law and criminology but what happens to thatas in exeter uni, they only offer law as a single subject? sorry for the questions!
Original post by Syipx
i was actually thinking about that earlier! but if i do go into adjustment, will the personal statment still matter? for example, my personal statement includes why i want to do law and criminology but what happens to thatas in exeter uni, they only offer law as a single subject? sorry for the questions!

They might ask you for a supplementary PS though yours might be close enough.
They might ask you for a supplementary PS though yours might be close enough.

right okay, thank you so much for the help!!:smile:

From memory I dont believe Law at Exeter has been in clearing/adjustment. Can you check your lists.
Reply 18

That's Adjustment not Clearing, it's quite different.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/ucas-adjustment-if-youve-done-better-expected
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/adjustment/changing-university-via-adjustment-what-you-need-to-know

:smile:

Sorry, I just remembered it occurred at the same point as clearing. Forgot it was called adjustment, my bad.

Quick Reply