The Student Room Group

Help on essay about cancer treatments? IM STUCK!

My essay is due in two hours and I can’t figure out what to write.

I writ about two individuals that were first diagnosed and treated cancer, but I’m having trouble trying to find things I can reference with journals and articles.

Plus I can only get 2 pages worth of stuff to write but I need 4000 words in two hours!😩
I know I should’ve started earlier but I was sick and was refused an extension.

I need to do things on development of treatments and how effective they are and I’m finding this way too hard.

Someone give me some sentence starters? Specific topics? Journals they’ve read? Anything?😭 my minds BLANK

Thankyou in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Manixoo
My essay is due in two hours and I can’t figure out what to write.

I writ about two individuals that were first diagnosed and treated cancer, but I’m having trouble trying to find things I can reference with journals and articles.

Plus I can only get 2 pages worth of stuff to write but I need 4000 words in two hours!😩
I know I should’ve started earlier but I was sick and was refused an extension.

I need to do things on development of treatments and how effective they are and I’m finding this way too hard.

Someone give me some sentence starters? Specific topics? Journals they’ve read? Anything?😭 my minds BLANK

Thankyou in advance

I know this is probably a bit late, but still I'll give it a go. So you could talk about standard cytotoxic chemotherapeutic agents (e.g. anthracyclines, alkylating agents, vinca alkaloids, taxanes, etc.) including their mechanisms of action, uses, etc. You could also talk about the side effects of chemotherapy such as mucositis, alopecia, pancytopaenia. You could also talk about newer, targetted therapies such as herceptin in HER2+ breast cancer, as well as tamoxifen and anastrazole for breast cancer. Other targetted therapies include monocloncal antibodies which target specific cancer markers such as gemtuzumab ozogamacin (anti-CD33 monoclonal antibody), anti-VEGF monoclonal antibodies (e.g. bevacizumab), crizotinib (ALK+ lung cancer). Another interesting treatment for chronic myeloid leukaemia is imatinib, a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, which was perhaps the first small molecule used to treat cancer. Then there are newer things such as checkpoint inhibitors (e.g. pembrolizumab, ipilimumab), CAR T cells (very topical), vaccines. I've just mentionned chemotherapy and targetted therapies, but there is also radiotherapy, surgery, and of couse supportive care.
Reply 2
Original post by Jpw1097
I know this is probably a bit late, but still I'll give it a go. So you could talk about standard cytotoxic chemotherapeutic agents (e.g. anthracyclines, alkylating agents, vinca alkaloids, taxanes, etc.) including their mechanisms of action, uses, etc. You could also talk about the side effects of chemotherapy such as mucositis, alopecia, pancytopaenia. You could also talk about newer, targetted therapies such as herceptin in HER2+ breast cancer, as well as tamoxifen and anastrazole for breast cancer. Other targetted therapies include monocloncal antibodies which target specific cancer markers such as gemtuzumab ozogamacin (anti-CD33 monoclonal antibody), anti-VEGF monoclonal antibodies (e.g. bevacizumab), crizotinib (ALK+ lung cancer). Another interesting treatment for chronic myeloid leukaemia is imatinib, a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, which was perhaps the first small molecule used to treat cancer. Then there are newer things such as checkpoint inhibitors (e.g. pembrolizumab, ipilimumab), CAR T cells (very topical), vaccines. I've just mentionned chemotherapy and targetted therapies, but there is also radiotherapy, surgery, and of couse supportive care.

Thank you so much for your help... I didn’t submit is as I felt I wasn’t ready to. I hope I can talk her into accepting it on Monday 😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending