The Student Room Group

Law, English and GDL

Has anyone done a law degree at university? What kind of stuff do you do/is it really competitive and exhausting?

Scroll to see replies

has anyone done a law degree at university? is it hard? what do you do in the seminars/lectures? how smart do you have to be to be successful.
hey guys,
so I've been considering doing law for the last few months - I'm very strong at English and can write a good essay. my vocabulary is okay but I'm not particularly keen on public speaking. is public speaking a large part of a law degree or is it not particularly important? any answers are welcome :smile:
Reply 3
Im no expert but as long as you don’t want to specifically be a barrister then the public speaking thing shouldn’t be a problem. You will probably be taught how to in the course anyway. You’ll gain confidence the more you learn and it shouldn’t be a problem after that.
Public speaking is no part of a law degree at all. It's essential if you want to become a barrister, but even then it doesn't form any part of the actual degree. If you want to be a solicitor there's no reason why pulic speaking should ever become a notable part of what you do. You do have to do an advocacy module on the LPC, but that's about it. Nothing to be concerned about. There are plenty of people who both do law and want to be solicitors who have no interest on public speaking, so I don't see any reason why it should be an issue for you.
Public speaking -- not usually part of a law degree. Unless you mean presentations to small groups of your peers/lecturers. Some unis will make you do the latter either as part of your seminar group, formatives or the proper assessments.
how does GDL law conversion work?
for example if I did an English degree, what steps do I take to get on a law conversion course, plus how long does it take
Original post by aliceaquaspirit
how does GDL law conversion work?
for example if I did an English degree, what steps do I take to get on a law conversion course, plus how long does it take

One academic year, usually - or two part time.

To become a lawyer as such you need to study particular core units in a law degree. So, the gdl is effectively all those core units needed to progress to become a barrister/ solicitor.

Most providers will ask for at least a 2.1. For those that don't I would urger caution; gdl is no walk in the park and good academic skills are needed to do reasonably well. An English degree is a solid academic subject so its a good foundation.

Alternatives to GDL are qualifying LLM (Masters) at places such as Birkbeck and LJMU. or doing a 2 year accelerated LLB at universities which offer them.

Hope this helps. :smile:
thank u :smile:)x
thank u :smile:)x

anytime! :smile:
so for example
if I do an English degree and then want to become a lawyer, what are the steps to getting on a GDL.

which year of your degree do you apply for a GDL
do unis like Manchester, Durham, UCL offer gdls or not

does it matter what uni you go to to get a GDL or do employers not care

is it better to do full time (9months) or part time (26months).

how do you get sponsored by a firm? I read online that some law firms may pay for your GDL by sponsoring you while youre still at uni doing a degree.

I'm really confused so could someone clarify?:smile:)
Do ya BA.

In third year, apply for GDL.

Complete GDL over a year (or thereabouts). Normally it's the new unis which offer it. You don't do the GDL for prestige; ya just tick a box.

You can get firm funding prospectively and retrospetively. So you can apply for TC in third year of BA, and then a firm will pay for GDL. Or you could do GDL, later get the TC; and firms will pay for the GDL fees you forked out. Most firms won't pay for the GDL, though.

HOWEVER The SQE will make the GDL redundant in the next couple of years for aspiring solicitors. Currently the LLB (or the GDL) pass the academic stage, but with the SQE each student will have to pass the SQE1 to pass the academic stage. Passing your LLB or GDL won't be enough. So in theory, you could do the BA and then not do another course after -- instead self-teach the SQE1 prep.
what's the SQE?
what's the SQE?

Do I look like Jeeves.
also, I know it's easier to get a training contract if you have done a vacation scheme...is this something I would have to do during the summer of my english degree?
would I be offered a training contract before taking the GDL based off of my degree result ?
So basically I like English a lot, completely in love with the subject and very good at it.
There are no jobs in English however so here are my options:

Law degree at uni - go straight into law for degree and have a detailed knowledge of it

English degree at uni and then law conversion - get to take an English degree which I love, then do a 3 year law conversion

Any opinions welcome, I need advice!!x
Don't know why anyone would go to uni and choose to do a useless degree
Original post by Elopegermanium
Don't know why anyone would go to uni and choose to do a useless degree

Because whilst the degree itself may not directly lead to job opportunities, it can have other benefits in terms of developing associated skills. Also, a person who has a keen interest in a degree is, as Johan has already said, more likely to study it at a better university and get better grades, which going forwards will be of significant benefit.

Plus, to answer one of the OP's other points, the notion of having a 'detailed working knowledge' of the law following your degree is overrated. For a start, you don't really gain a 'working' knowledge of the law in a law degree because you learn very little to no procedure. And in reality, the vast majority of the substantive law that you will use in your practice as a solicitor or a barrister will be developed after your degree, and commonly whilst you're doing the job itself. If your best reason for doing a law degree over a degree that you will enjoy more is to obtain a 'detailed working knowledge' of the law, doing the degree you'll enjoy more is an absolute no brainer.
If in doubt of what to choose, choose what you enjoy the most or at least think that your going to enjoy the most.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Because whilst the degree itself may not directly lead to job opportunities, it can have other benefits in terms of developing associated skills. Also, a person who has a keen interest in a degree is, as Johan has already said, more likely to study it at a better university and get better grades, which going forwards will be of significant benefit.

Plus, to answer one of the OP's other points, the notion of having a 'detailed working knowledge' of the law following your degree is overrated. For a start, you don't really gain a 'working' knowledge of the law in a law degree because you learn very little to no procedure. And in reality, the vast majority of the substantive law that you will use in your practice as a solicitor or a barrister will be developed after your degree, and commonly whilst you're doing the job itself. If your best reason for doing a law degree over a degree that you will enjoy more is to obtain a 'detailed working knowledge' of the law, doing the degree you'll enjoy more is an absolute no brainer.

Thank you!!! So do you think getting a good grade in a English degree and doing a law conversion would be a good idea ?
My teachers said I could get into Oxbridge for English so maybe that would put me at an advantage idk ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending