The Student Room Group

Cambridge engineering help...

Hey there! I am Year 12 student currently thinking of applying to Cambridge engineering / physical nat sci next year.

I read the admission stats and apparently the number of applicants is much higher for Trinity in comparison to other colleges, however the applicant-acceptance ratio of each college is pretty much the same...

So here are my questions:

1. just wanna confirm the validity of a myth: is Christ and Trinity really harder to get in? And if so, by how much?

2. In terms of preparation, could (and should) I prepare anything specifically for those "top-tier" colleges?

3. Why are those colleges so popular (apart from high Tompkins ranking and funding...)

4. I'm really uncertain what to do: should I apply for the "easier colleges" to play safe? Or should I be ambitious and go for the more "prestigious" ones, but risking rejection?

I know that's a lot to ask for, by your assistance on this subject would be tremendously appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Mateoita
Hey there! I am Year 12 student currently thinking of applying to Cambridge engineering / physical nat sci next year.

I read the admission stats and apparently the number of applicants is much higher for Trinity in comparison to other colleges, however the applicant-acceptance ratio of each college is pretty much the same...

So here are my questions:

1. just wanna confirm the validity of a myth: is Christ and Trinity really harder to get in? And if so, by how much?

2. In terms of preparation, could (and should) I prepare anything specifically for those "top-tier" colleges?

3. Why are those colleges so popular (apart from high Tompkins ranking and funding...)

4. I'm really uncertain what to do: should I apply for the "easier colleges" to play safe? Or should I be ambitious and go for the more "prestigious" ones, but risking rejection?

I know that's a lot to ask for, by your assistance on this subject would be tremendously appreciated.

Ignore the college admissions stats - they vary each year particularly in response to people trying to double-guess the process...

Pick a college you like, but remember that about 20% of offers come from a different college anyway due to Cambridge's Winter Pool. The pool is the system that smooths out applications across the colleges and effectively means that no matter which college you apply to your chances of a Cambridge offer are unaffected.

However, that's not to say the colleges are all the same (although they are more similar than different) and even for admissions there are some differences. So, for example, Christ's (and Peterhouse) include a STEP requirement (a 1 in STEP I) in any offer. Assuming other things are equal, STEP makes getting an offer more likely, but achieving it is harder... swings and roundabouts...

PS. I'm moving this to the University of Cambridge forum :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Many thanks! You made my day.
Reply 3
Many thanks! You made my day.

:hat2:

Do you have a preferred college? Have you visited? Not that there's any rush... seriously.
Reply 4
I have visited twice. I have a friend in Magdalene (not sure if that's how you spell it), and I basically (secretively) stayed there for a night and experienced the student life. I went to formal dinner and cheeky enough, a natsci lecture.

My preferred college is Christ, however I do understand it's still early and further research is required to make a more informed decision. Will certainly go to a more "official" open day later this year.
Reply 5
I have visited twice. I have a friend in Magdalene (not sure if that's how you spell it), and I basically (secretively) stayed there for a night and experienced the student life. I went to formal dinner and cheeky enough, a natsci lecture.

My preferred college is Christ, however I do understand it's still early and further research is required to make a more informed decision. Will certainly go to a more "official" open day later this year.

:yy:

(Overnight guests are absolutely fine in College.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending