The Student Room Group

Courses that aren't just pure geograohy

Could someone suggest any uni courses (UK) that are geography based but not just pure geography if that makes sense.... are there even many around haha?!?!?!
i’ve seen people apply for geology and something like geophysics i think
Reply 2
Original post by delia0117q
i’ve seen people apply for geology and something like geophysics i think

hmm ill check them out thank you - im currently doing geography chemistry biology alevel
Original post by LucyJl
Could someone suggest any uni courses (UK) that are geography based but not just pure geography if that makes sense.... are there even many around haha?!?!?!

There are many universities offering courses in which geography is or can be combined with another subject, for example, Derby, Keele, Exeter and Newcastle to name a few. Popular subject combinations include geography and geology, biology, economics, business management, politics and planning :smile:
Original post by LucyJl

Hi LucyJl,

Plymouth offer the following:

Geography with International Relations
Geography with Ocean Science (very popular - especially as we're right by the sea!)

We also have courses in Geology and Environmental Sciences :smile:

Please let me know if you have any questions! :smile:

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by University of Plymouth
Hi LucyJl,

Plymouth offer the following:

Geography with International Relations
Geography with Ocean Science (very popular - especially as we're right by the sea!)

We also have courses in Geology and Environmental Sciences :smile:

Please let me know if you have any questions! :smile:

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep

Ahh amazing thank you! Would you know which one would have the most job opportunities post uni?? thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
There are many universities offering courses in which geography is or can be combined with another subject, for example, Derby, Keele, Exeter and Newcastle to name a few. Popular subject combinations include geography and geology, biology, economics, business management, politics and planning :smile:

Amazing! thank you :smile:
Geography joint honours with e.g. economics, global sustainable development is another one
Reply 8
Original post by rumatar
Geography joint honours with e.g. economics, global sustainable development is another one

ahh thank you :smile:
Original post by LucyJl
Ahh amazing thank you! Would you know which one would have the most job opportunities post uni?? thank you :smile:

Hi LucyJI,

You’re more than welcome! I think this really does depend on where you want to go / what you want to do after your degree. University is what you make of it and extracurricular activities are so important!

You can read our graduate profiles here - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bsc-geography . As you can see, employment prospects are wide and varied after your degree you really can go anywhere!

In my personal opinion, it’s all about pursuing the minor you feel more passionately about. This will breed a really proactive attitude, which will encourage you to seek out placements and volunteering opportunities which in turn will boost your CV and make you employable for the future :u:

Our Geography blogger Amy is documenting her third year of Uni you can read it here: http://www.mylifewithplym.com/amys-blog. She is going to be speaking about her experience of taking a placement year soon, so keep your eyes peeled for that. It’s packed full of really useful information :h:

If you have any questions, please do let me know!

Seren University of Plymouth Student Rep
Reply 10
Original post by University of Plymouth
Hi LucyJI,

You’re more than welcome! I think this really does depend on where you want to go / what you want to do after your degree. University is what you make of it and extracurricular activities are so important!

You can read our graduate profiles here - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bsc-geography . As you can see, employment prospects are wide and varied after your degree you really can go anywhere!

In my personal opinion, it’s all about pursuing the minor you feel more passionately about. This will breed a really proactive attitude, which will encourage you to seek out placements and volunteering opportunities which in turn will boost your CV and make you employable for the future :u:

Our Geography blogger Amy is documenting her third year of Uni you can read it here: http://www.mylifewithplym.com/amys-blog. She is going to be speaking about her experience of taking a placement year soon, so keep your eyes peeled for that. It’s packed full of really useful information :h:

If you have any questions, please do let me know!

Seren University of Plymouth Student Rep

Thankyou so much for your help :smile:
You can do joint honours geography with almost anything at Derby! For example: global development, environmental hazards or geology!

- Chloe, student representative at Derby Uni.
Hi LucyJI,

As one of our students already mentioned, at Derby you can combine Geography with a lot of different subjects as a joint honours option depending on your interests - you can find more information about these options here: https://www.derby.ac.uk/undergraduate/geography-courses/geography-joint-honours/ .
There’s also the possibility of studying Global Development as a joint honours course and this programme will develop skills such as advocacy, community relations and project management: https://www.derby.ac.uk/undergraduate/geography-courses/global-development-joint-honours/ .

You can have a look on our website for more information.

If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Cristina

Original post by LucyJl

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending