The Student Room Group

Tutors for AS Physics

Hello. I'm in Y12 and am doing AS Physics along with maths and the other two sciences. Anyways, I've been experiencing issues in physics as my teacher recently graduated with an Associate degree in Physics which doesn't give her the vast knowledge she needs to teach a level physics as I can't be inquisitive because she doesn't know the answers to my questions. My friend reported our dilemma to the admin of our school but due to the lack of human resources in my country, it would take time for the problem to be resolved. So until then, I don't mind paying for a tutor. I've come across many online but don't know which one to choose. What would you recommend?
P.S. My exam board is Cambridge Assessment International Education.
Reply 1
Original post by nia(the_devoted)
Hello. I'm in Y12 and am doing AS Physics along with maths and the other two sciences. Anyways, I've been experiencing issues in physics as my teacher recently graduated with an Associate degree in Physics which doesn't give her the vast knowledge she needs to teach a level physics as I can't be inquisitive because she doesn't know the answers to my questions. My friend reported our dilemma to the admin of our school but due to the lack of human resources in my country, it would take time for the problem to be resolved. So until then, I don't mind paying for a tutor. I've come across many online but don't know which one to choose. What would you recommend?
P.S. My exam board is Cambridge Assessment International Education.

Hold on, I thought you had dropped Maths to do FM instead? As per your post in the other thread:
In my case, I did it because due to me doing add math at igcse level, i found a level maths to share the same contents if not all, most. So in an interest to learn more i dropped a level maths and chose FM. Plus i think that if you can manage FM, maths is pretty easy. Anyways it's just my opinion.

If you haven't then I'd caution you not to because, as I mentioned in the other thread, doing FM without Maths is a very bad idea.

If you can't afford to do Maths & FM then just do Maths.
Original post by Doonesbury
If you haven't then I'd caution you not to because, as I mentioned in the other thread, doing FM without Maths is a very bad idea.

If you can't afford to do Maths & FM then just do Maths.

yes in the post abt help needed for physics I did mention maths when I should've mentioned further mathematics. I did not see any relevance of being very specific because that wasn't necessary for the question at hand. Anyways, I shall take my own adviceand take yours into consideration. so thank you. Much appreciated.
Reply 3
Have you tried reading the books? I did AS CIE physics and got an A (dropped it at A2 though) anyways I'd recommend a lot of past paper practice
Original post by iqqraxo
Have you tried reading the books? I did AS CIE physics and got an A (dropped it at A2 though) anyways I'd recommend a lot of past paper practice

I don't have a physics textbook as yet I'm waiting for my uncle to come bring a textbook.
Reply 5
I don't have a physics textbook as yet I'm waiting for my uncle to come bring a textbook.

I didn't find the textbook useful honestly. My teacher was really good so I would just do past papers. But Understanding Physics by James Brathapat is good.
Original post by iqqraxo
I didn't find the textbook useful honestly. My teacher was really good so I would just do past papers. But Understanding Physics by James Brathapat is good.

…Thank you
Original post by iqqraxo

Can you please send me the link to this book because I can't find it on Amazon?
Reply 8
Can you please send me the link to this book because I can't find it on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Physics-Advanced-Level-Fourth/dp/0748743146

I apologise for the spelling mistake!! Dropped physics immediately after AS so the name of the author just slipped. Hope this helps you as much as it helped me. Focus on paper 2 with loads of past papers practice. I messed paper 3 super badly and a B was at 29/40 yet I managed to get a B in that exam! as for paper 1 it's again past paper practice.
Reply 9
yes in the post abt help needed for physics I did mention maths when I should've mentioned further mathematics. I did not see any relevance of being very specific because that wasn't necessary for the question at hand. Anyways, I shall take my own adviceand take yours into consideration. so thank you. Much appreciated.

If you are looking to apply to universities to study engineering (or anything) I *strongly* advise you to contact them now and ask how they would view an applicant with A-level FM but not Maths.

CIE is a bit different to the UK exam boards. With the UK boards it's just not possible to do what you are trying to do. But it's definitely necessary to check with the universities before it's too late.
What would you recommend?

Before you go and spend money on a tutor, I think that there are a number of other things you can try before hand:

If the problem is lack of understanding:
- youtube and khan academy
- physicsforums.com/physics.stackexchange.com are websites where you can post questions and they will v. likely get answered in an educated manner

If it is just a case of getting questions answered, then I think you should the latter option a try before going and investing in a tutor.

Hope that helps.

P.s. if instead you are looking for extension material, then do try looking at the BPhO and physics challenge problems
Original post by Master1022
Before you go and spend money on a tutor, I think that there are a number of other things you can try before hand:

If the problem is lack of understanding:
- youtube and khan academy
- physicsforums.com/physics.stackexchange.com are websites where you can post questions and they will v. likely get answered in an educated manner

If it is just a case of getting questions answered, then I think you should the latter option a try before going and investing in a tutor.

Hope that helps.

P.s. if instead you are looking for extension material, then do try looking at the BPhO and physics challenge problems

My problem is the second choice. Anyways thank you.
Original post by Doonesbury
If you are looking to apply to universities to study engineering (or anything) I *strongly* advise you to contact them now and ask how they would view an applicant with A-level FM but not Maths.

CIE is a bit different to the UK exam boards. With the UK boards it's just not possible to do what you are trying to do. But it's definitely necessary to check with the universities before it's too late.

Yeah. Before I started sixth form, I ensured that the subjects I'm doing will be the right choices needed for the course I want. Thank you though. Much appreciated. 😊
Original post by iqqraxo
https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Physics-Advanced-Level-Fourth/dp/0748743146

I apologise for the spelling mistake!! Dropped physics immediately after AS so the name of the author just slipped. Hope this helps you as much as it helped me. Focus on paper 2 with loads of past papers practice. I messed paper 3 super badly and a B was at 29/40 yet I managed to get a B in that exam! as for paper 1 it's again past paper practice.

It's okay. Than you though.

Quick Reply

Latest