The Student Room Group

What sort of degrees or career paths can I go down?

I study a levels maths, biology and geography.

I wanted to study medicine, but it’s too late for me to change my a-levels and I can’t stay a 3rd year at college sadly.

What sort of degrees and career paths could my alevels get me down? I’m still confused on other sort of careers but I do really enjoy all my subjects but biology the most!

Or if anyone who studied a similar set of a-levels what do you do now?

Scroll to see replies

Biology related but not medicine you could get into environmental sciences, conservation type work with animals like marine biology.
Maths is more self explanatory and can take you into things like finance, accounting etc.
Geography maybe geology, again conservation, geographical technician, cartography and such.
Best thing to do would be going on websites like prospects careers and just having a look about - even in your subjects aren’t completely right you can sometimes do an additional course or foundation year to make up for it
Reply 2
Original post by SleepyGnome
Biology related but not medicine you could get into environmental sciences, conservation type work with animals like marine biology.
Maths is more self explanatory and can take you into things like finance, accounting etc.
Geography maybe geology, again conservation, geographical technician, cartography and such.
Best thing to do would be going on websites like prospects careers and just having a look about - even in your subjects aren’t completely right you can sometimes do an additional course or foundation year to make up for it

Honestly things like environmental science and geology don't really do it for me.

I heard a bit on biomedical science I don't know if you've heard anything about it? I'll just continue to keep looking and hopefully do something biology/medical related, thanks for your time.
Original post by Jamiehou
Honestly things like environmental science and geology don't really do it for me.

I heard a bit on biomedical science I don't know if you've heard anything about it? I'll just continue to keep looking and hopefully do something biology/medical related, thanks for your time.

Yeah I was interested in it for a while although a lot want chemistry there are some universities that don’t require it, if you use the ‘which course finder’ thing you can find all the universities that will do a BA in it and look at the individual entry requirements
Not all medical schools require A-level Chemistry. You should do more research....
Reply 5
Original post by SleepyGnome
Yeah I was interested in it for a while although a lot want chemistry there are some universities that don’t require it, if you use the ‘which course finder’ thing you can find all the universities that will do a BA in it and look at the individual entry requirements

Ah ok thank you. What degree do you study? If you dont mind me asking
Reply 6
have you considered graduate entry medicine?
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Not all medical schools require A-level Chemistry. You should do more research....

Yeah but wouldn't be extremely competitive and iI' be at a disadvantage anyway for not having chemostry.
Reply 8
Original post by SteveForfar
have you considered graduate entry medicine?

It's an option just heard it's extremely competitive.
Reply 9
Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated.

I don’t know if you know but is there a possibility of applying for 3 med schools and then my other 2 applications being something else? As all I’ve ever hear is how people are rejected, and I want something else as a backup.

In terms of medicine: I’ve recently got a 2 day placement at my local hospital in the old people medicine department for April and planning to volunteer at a care home. I want to make my application as powerful and strong as possible but I’m just worried.
Yeah it is more competitive, but I see a lot of people thinking if they don’t get in at undergraduate then they have no chance at med school (I was one of those people). Just one of many options if you really want it 😊
Ah ok thank you. What degree do you study? If you dont mind me asking

I’m actually just in year 12 doing Bio, Chem and RS
Reply 12
For UKCAT is this an exam based around basic knowledge to get you into neeical school? Like am I able to revise for it like any other exam or is it randomized
I study a levels maths, biology and geography.

I wanted to study medicine, but it’s too late for me to change my a-levels and I can’t stay a 3rd year at college sadly.

What sort of degrees and career paths could my alevels get me down? I’m still confused on other sort of careers but I do really enjoy all my subjects but biology the most!

Or if anyone who studied a similar set of a-levels what do you do now?

Hi Jamiehou,

You can still study medicine! The entry requirement at Plymouth states: 'The typical offer is A*AA AAB at GCE A level which must include an A grade in biology and one further science from chemistry, physics, maths, and psychology. Your third GCE A level can be from any subject area including the humanities, languages, music, sport, science and the social sciences.'

With biology and maths, you are also open to a wide range of careers in science. You could also study biomedicine, which could lead you down a more research-based path.

Make sure you do as much as you can - apply before the deadline, get some work experience under your belt and be the best candidate you can be :smile: All is not lost!

Let me know if you'd like me to answer any more questions :smile:

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
(FYI - I will be out of office from 21.12.18-02.01.19 but will reply as soon as I can after this period).
Reply 14
Original post by University of Plymouth
Hi Jamiehou,

You can still study medicine! The entry requirement at Plymouth states: 'The typical offer is A*AA AAB at GCE A level which must include an A grade in biology and one further science from chemistry, physics, maths, and psychology. Your third GCE A level can be from any subject area including the humanities, languages, music, sport, science and the social sciences.'

With biology and maths, you are also open to a wide range of careers in science. You could also study biomedicine, which could lead you down a more research-based path.

Make sure you do as much as you can - apply before the deadline, get some work experience under your belt and be the best candidate you can be :smile: All is not lost!

Let me know if you'd like me to answer any more questions :smile:

(FYI - I will be out of office from 21.12.18-02.01.19 but will reply as soon as I can after this period).

Hi, thank you for contacting me! I never really realised I would have a chance, as I thought all universities take chemistry students over just biology ones.

At the moment, I have applied for a 2 day shadowing with junior doctor in the old medicine department for April and also volunteering at a care home. I was also thinking of asking my local GP for experience too, would you recommended anything else to strengthen my application?

Thanks again.
Hi, thank you for contacting me! I never really realised I would have a chance, as I thought all universities take chemistry students over just biology ones.

At the moment, I have applied for a 2 day shadowing with junior doctor in the old medicine department for April and also volunteering at a care home. I was also thinking of asking my local GP for experience too, would you recommended anything else to strengthen my application?

Thanks again.

Hi Jamiehou,

You are really welcome! Honestly, it's not the case. We even have a Medicine course with foundation entry if you didn't get the grades! I remember in Year 8 I wanted to go for medicine (which obviously changed drastically by the time I applied for University!) and I was told that I absolutely had to take Latin GCSE to stand a chance. If I didn't take it, I wouldn't get in. That is definitely not the case!

A lot of people volunteer at a local hospital - have you tried this? Dedicating a few hours a week to a hospital throughout your studies will look great! I’d also recommend doing some other unrelated extracurricular activities if you have the time a lot of people will have the same experience, and in such a competitive field you want to be as stand out as possible Do you do anything outside of your A Levels? :smile: I was a part of my school’s Student Leadership Executive team which looked really great :h:

Of course, you can always contact [email protected] for medicine specific application questions, as they deal with this every day (although we do shut today until January 2nd)

Let me know if you have any more university related questions I’ve just graduated so I’m always happy to talk and help! :bigsmile:

(FYI - I will be out of office from 21.12.18-02.01.19 but will reply as soon as I can after this period)
Reply 16
Original post by University of Plymouth
Hi Jamiehou,

You are really welcome! Honestly, it's not the case. We even have a Medicine course with foundation entry if you didn't get the grades! I remember in Year 8 I wanted to go for medicine (which obviously changed drastically by the time I applied for University!) and I was told that I absolutely had to take Latin GCSE to stand a chance. If I didn't take it, I wouldn't get in. That is definitely not the case!

A lot of people volunteer at a local hospital - have you tried this? Dedicating a few hours a week to a hospital throughout your studies will look great! I’d also recommend doing some other unrelated extracurricular activities if you have the time a lot of people will have the same experience, and in such a competitive field you want to be as stand out as possible Do you do anything outside of your A Levels? :smile: I was a part of my school’s Student Leadership Executive team which looked really great :h:

Of course, you can always contact [email protected] for medicine specific application questions, as they deal with this every day (although we do shut today until January 2nd)

Let me know if you have any more university related questions I’ve just graduated so I’m always happy to talk and help! :bigsmile:

(FYI - I will be out of office from 21.12.18-02.01.19 but will reply as soon as I can after this period)

At my local hospital, the 2 day NHS experience is all they offer however I will look into it! I’m not apart of any extra curricular to, which I will definitely try to do next year when going into 2nd year of my studies. And just wondering, would this experience also be succificent if I went on to do biomedical science instead?

I’m guessing your in FY1 now? Regarding medical school, honestly from student to student how hard is it and did you ever really have time to do things? One of the major throwbacks for me personally is the amount of years it takes out, as much as I want to study medicine and become a doctor I also want to travel and explore the world.
Why can't you do medicine?
If its because of not doing chemistry I'm sure some unis accept only biology e.g Queens mary london is quite high up for medicine and only requires biology OR chemistry and one other science subject (which you have maths)
At my local hospital, the 2 day NHS experience is all they offer however I will look into it! I’m not apart of any extra curricular to, which I will definitely try to do next year when going into 2nd year of my studies. And just wondering, would this experience also be succificent if I went on to do biomedical science instead?

I’m guessing your in FY1 now? Regarding medical school, honestly from student to student how hard is it and did you ever really have time to do things? One of the major throwbacks for me personally is the amount of years it takes out, as much as I want to study medicine and become a doctor I also want to travel and explore the world.

Hi Jamihou,

Happy new year!

Whatever experience is available to you, grab with both hands :smile: it will look great, and would certainly look good on a biomedical application as these are less competitive than medicine.

I actually graduated in English, but I now work at the university so I know how things are as a student and as a member of staff :smile: On an impartial note, you do always have the chance to travel across the world once you are a registered doctor?

I can try and get in touch with a medical student who would be happy to chat with you. Would you like for me to try and facilitate this? :smile:

Trust me. You don't want to do medicine in the UK. However, if you are still interested, there are unis that will let you take Medicine with those A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest