The Student Room Group

Should the uk go cashless?

This is for my EPQ and it would be intresting to see if people have any ideas or opinions on this topic.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

no, cash economy allows people to employ under the minimum wage individuals without reporting it to the gov. Cashless system would increase
unemployment
I don't think the OP (or anyone sane) is advocating for cryptocurrency... especially not BTC LOL
Original post by Rudav123
This is for my EPQ and it would be intresting to see if people have any ideas or opinions on this topic.
Thanks

It just simply wouldn't work. Money is the incentive for producers to produce goods and for workers to keep their jobs. Without money, no one would care if the economy f**cked up, no one will work properly and would rather sit on their arses and do nothing
Original post by Yr_11_MATHS
It just simply wouldn't work. Money is the incentive for producers to produce goods and for workers to keep their jobs. Without money, no one would care if the economy f**cked up, no one will work properly and would rather sit on their arses and do nothing

I dont think OP is advocating for communism
Original post by HeroinAddict
I dont think OP is advocating for communism

I could be wrong tho. In that case, I offer free helicopter rides OP. Just for you! Corbyn is gonna be there too!

Do you mean the removal of physical cash and 100% use of digital payments? Or the removal of currency as we know it?
Reply 7
No, never, absolutely not!

I presume the question regards cashless with respect to removing coins and notes from circulation, not cashless asin abolishing all narrow money!

Some thoughts I’d like to add. Consider the privacy aspect of a cashless system where all transactions are recorded. On one hand, it could prevent black markets etc. but does it just take away an aspect of personal liberty? Could recorded transactions and movement of money give more control to banks and corporations in the way of data in what we spend - is this trusted?
Also, assuming cashless means we use banks , can we fully trust banks? Would a cashless system make banks more inclined to make risks as they know people won’t suddenly withdraw if they lose confidence? But equally, banking and financial services generate vast sums of revenues and thus a cashless society may ensue more profit from the money held in banks.

A lot of questions, but just some thoughts that I’d consider.

Good luck
(edited 5 years ago)
No, there should always be several options

I still carry cash as a back up. it should never go cashless
Reply 10
No, cashless is a terrible idea. Do you really trust the government with your money? They could tax it directly or even confiscate it. at least with cash you can keep it away from their grubby fingers.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymoususer16
Do you mean the removal of physical cash and 100% use of digital payments? Or the removal of currency as we know it?

The use of physical cash being removed - it would be the same as now in this scenario just without physical cash
Reply 12

Still money, just not physically?
Reply 13
Original post by ukrj
No, cashless is a terrible idea. Do you really trust the government with your money? They could tax it directly or even confiscate it. at least with cash you can keep it away from their grubby fingers.

Interesting point thank you
Reply 14
Original post by MrMoment
I presume the question regards cashless with respect to removing coins and notes from circulation, not cashless asin abolishing all narrow money!

Some thoughts I’d like to add. Consider the privacy aspect of a cashless system where all transactions are recorded. On one hand, it could prevent black markets etc. but does it just take away an aspect of personal liberty? Could recorded transactions and movement of money give more control to banks and corporations in the way of data in what we spend - is this trusted?
Also, assuming cashless means we use banks , can we fully trust banks? Would a cashless system make banks more inclined to make risks as they know people won’t suddenly withdraw if they lose confidence? But equally, banking and financial services generate vast sums of revenues and thus a cashless society may ensue more profit from the money held in banks.

A lot of questions, but just some thoughts that I’d consider.

Good luck

Thank you for your questions, these will be very useful to think about
No.
There should be several other options to choose from and to accommodate a range of payment preferences.
Relying solely on cashless has functionality, security, privacy and accessibility implications.
Hackers and cyber fraudsters would be delighted if a purely digital money system was introduced.
Reply 16
Original post by goggleyed
No, there should always be several options

I still carry cash as a back up. it should never go cashless

True options are important, but could there possibly be enough options for currency outside of cash?
Reply 17
Original post by londonmyst
No.
There should be several other options to choose from and to accommodate a range of payment preferences.
Relying solely on cashless has functionality, security, privacy and accessibility implications.
Hackers and cyber fraudsters would be delighted if a purely digital money system was introduced.

Cash also contains many high risk security issues and a lack of this privacy can negative surrounding crime ...
Original post by Rudav123
True options are important, but could there possibly be enough options for currency outside of cash?

nah bro, especially when cash has been king for too long

how are strippers gonna make their money? have men swipe their cards every time they feel aroused??
Oh ok thanks for clearing it up... So you want a UK with cash in a digital form like Bitcoin but with bank intervention? Fraudsters still exist so they will try and get access to your cash as well as another enemy such as hackers who will also get access to your account... TBH it seems like Bitcoin is probably a better currency than a "cashless" medium of exchange simply due to not being able to be forged and it's finite supply as well as the use of a private key which prevents unauthorized access

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending