The Student Room Group

How were you punished at secondary school?

This poll is closed

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes27%
No73%
Total votes: 1051
In the news today a family is planning to take action against their school for punishing their child with isolation! The child has spent a third of the last school year isolated from fellow pupils. What do you think of this, do you think isolation is a fair form of punishmnet? How were you punished at school?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I never had an isolation but I knew some people who did for getting into fights and stuff, it was typically just for a day though which I don't think is such a big deal. There comes a point though where it seems a bit cruel and nonproductive. A third of the year sounds ridiculous, I don't think it's really an effective or fair form of punishment at that level. While I appreciate there's a lack of funding really schools should be doing more to help students with issues, just sticking them in another room so they don't get into into conflicts isn't solving the root problem or helping the student better integrate with others, and can make things worse for the student. It's like Bender in The Breakfast Club getting himself into more and more Saturday detentions :tongue: what is that solving?
I don't see how isolation is effective.

In my school we had a learning support centre for those who got in serious trouble. I was put in there many times for non serious things. I skipped lessons after lunch for a few months and got excluded from school for it , which was great, because I didnt want to be in school. Also got a few detentions on a saturday, which I never attended.

I would have loved isolation, because I wouldn't have to see those slimy idiots who called themselves "teachers" in that cesspool of a classroom.
School never left me isolated, bullies did. Fortunately my teachers were great, they supported me at every point.

Isolation == No friends. Anyone who tried to be a friend was also bullied. Always framed for things that I never did. Always getting threats for doing right thing as class representative. Those 4 years were not easy.
(edited 5 years ago)
At my school if you get two warnings you get sent to this room (where everyone is in exam conditions) for 24 hours and an hours detention

This isn't my school, but its the same thing and loads of schools near me have it too

http://www.sec-ed.co.uk/best-practice/a-simple-whole-school-behaviour-system/
I guess it depends. I was put in isolation a number of times but in hindsight for me they should have tried to get to the root of why I was behaving that way. Turned out I have Asperger's and there were a few pretty recognisable signs and they did nothing. Most of the time there probably wasn't any justified reason.
Reply 6
I was never put in isolation, but my brother was in isolation a lot of the time. No one took the time to figure out why he had such poor behaviour, if they had it probably would've changed both our lives for the better (growing up there was a lot of violence and abuse in our house). Of course, isolation is just an easier, less messy solution.
My brother was sent to isolation in another school. Don't know how effective that is...
I was in isolation for bunking my lessons with a top bunker in year 8 and it was LIT. Never bunked again after that though cause skl got a bit better.
Sent to wait outside for 5 minutes then come back in. The reaon students hated this was. If while we were waiting a head of year or head teacher walked past and saw us.

Or a teacher calling the head of year via another student.
I read the article and it seems that he was sent to isolation for 30 days which is way too much.

My secondary school sends you to isolation (for exceptionally *****y behaviour). You stay there upto a week and where you would need to complete your cover work (sent by your teachers) in silence.

The worst punishment I ever got was a detention.
I've never been put there no. I was a good boy :colondollar: Acc that's a lie I was a sh*t back then loool

I have been excluded before when I was in sixth form for punching someone. He hit me first.
Reply 12
When I was in primary school my teacher used to single me out and make me go sit in the library area of the classroom all by myself a lot of the time. It happened about a third of time i was in class.

Sometimes teachers just like picking on people. In year 8 once two of my friends were misbehaving in the classroom, i was sitting silently doing my work. The teacher comes by and tells ME to leave the table and to move to another table. I refused to move [why should I have to move?] ..........and he threw me out of the classroom as a result.

and once i broke a window in secondary school. I was taken out of lessons for a week and made to pick up rubbish instead. Also received the bill for the broken window [don't know if that counts..]
(edited 5 years ago)
Lol if isolation is the worst schools come up with, no wonder we have so much trouble in schools. Bring back corporal punishment and half these schools would be reformed in an instant.
At our school we had something called an audit sheet, where behaviour (good and bad) would be logged and coded. After a certain number of negative logs you'd get a detention, and severe logs or incidents would indeed result in isolation. This was usually dealt with by your form tutor when they looked over the sheets for the previous week, which had been submitted by all lesson teachers. Postitive behaviour was rewarded by credit stickers, five credits resulted in a merit, and you could choose rewards for merits like a chocolate bar or a nice pen, out of a tray that was available in the form room. Merits also got you a raffle ticket for pretty cool prizes at the end of each term. I had the most merits in the year for 2 out of my 5 years at the school and I never won a thing though haha.
Maybe if he learn to behave himself
excluded.

pretty much anyone misbehaving anywhere gets isolation! how is this news and how are you appalled?? It's basically all-day/multi-day detention. It's nothing at all, ****ing hell. It's to keep unruly kids wasting learning time on behavioural issues, away from normal students, without keeping them away from education since they are monitored by a teacher and with other isolated students. Duh. It's in a room with computers and windows, not some dungeon.
Original post by Rainfall
I was in isolation for bunking my lessons with a top bunker in year 8 and it was LIT. Never bunked again after that though cause skl got a bit better.

lol exactly! kids are gassed in isolation, cos other isolated students are there, and the teachers are lenient sometimes :rofl: i've listened to music and ate smuggled crisps all day with mates and chatted on BBM back then:toofunny:
Original post by Bang Outta Order
lol exactly! kids are gassed in isolation, cos other isolated students are there, and the teachers are lenient sometimes :rofl: i've listened to music and ate smuggled crisps all day with mates and chatted on BBM back then:toofunny:

What? I was saying my bunking days were lit. Isolation was extremely boring! Glad to know you had fun though :rofl:
Original post by Rainfall
What? I was saying my bunking days were lit. Isolation was extremely boring! Glad to know you had fun though :rofl:

you said "i was in isolation etc etc and it was lit." the "it" can only refer to isolation...you should've said, "i bunked off before and it was lit." :hmmm:

anywayss wuhhh bunking was pretty boring actually, nd ISOLATION was lit. bunking is lame cos during the day, everyone else is at school and work, and then police are on you cos you're a minor not at school. It was better to go home late after school, than to bunk off during school ygm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending