The Student Room Group

Revision guide or student book for AQA

I bought CGP AQA revision guide for all of my subjects. And today when I told the teacher if those revision guide would allow me to gain 9 he said that those revision guide can only give me between 5 to 6. I got so upset 😭 as I thought that the amount that my dad payed for my books might be a waste of money. The teacher then said the student book were good as they covered everything you needed to know in order to get a grade 9. And now I want to ask you guys this was buying the revision guide was useless?Do I still need to use them?Which books is better CGP or Oxford AQA in order to get grade 9?Love to know your response.Thank you.
i was able to get a 7 using a revision guide in a few subjects, re, history, musics, oxford is a bit better imo. the subjects i got 8-9s in i had multiple revision guides and i used textbooks
Original post by Panicky student
Thank you so do u recommend Oxford over CGP?

if youre talking about books lke this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Religious-Studies-AQA-Christianity/dp/0198370334/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1544637192&sr=8-5&keywords=oxford+religious+studies
then yes definately, i used oxford for both history and RS and found that they were much better. i cant speak on other subjects tho
So do you recommend Oxford over CGP?
Original post by Gent2324
i was able to get a 7 using a revision guide in a few subjects, re, history, musics, oxford is a bit better imo. the subjects i got 8-9s in i had multiple revision guides and i used textbooks
I bought CGP AQA revision guide for all of my subjects. And today when I told the teacher if those revision guide would allow me to gain 9 he said that those revision guide can only give me between 5 to 6. I got so upset 😭 as I thought that the amount that my dad payed for my books might be a waste of money. The teacher then said the student book were good as they covered everything you needed to know in order to get a grade 9. And now I want to ask you guys this was buying the revision guide was useless?Do I still need to use them?Which books is better CGP or Oxford AQA in order to get grade 9?Love to know your response.Thank you.

Lmao your teacher is retarded. Assuming you're talking about GCSE, CGP is the best. The exam has ONLY things in the CGP books. I SOLELY used the CGP books for science revision and made notes from them and got all 9s in science. CGP is everything you need at GCSE dont memorise other useless stuff.
Would anyone please mind telling me if you recommend Oxford over CGP AQA for Maths,English and science?
Or if you recommend CGP over Oxford.
Would anyone please mind telling me if you recommend Oxford over CGP AQA for Maths,English and science?
Or if you recommend CGP over Oxford.

For science go CGP. Oxford is good but it has too much useless information. CGP is consise and easy to learn from.
Original post by TellThisF
Lmao your teacher is retarded. Assuming you're talking about GCSE, CGP is the best. The exam has ONLY things in the CGP books. I SOLELY used the CGP books for science revision and made notes from them and got all 9s in science. CGP is everything you need at GCSE dont memorise other useless stuff.

sorry but thats terrible advice, either you got lucky, or that specific cgp book does have everything you need in that subject and exam board. i did ocr triple science and there were numerous things in the syllabus that werent in the cgp book at all.

for subjects like maths aswell, the cgp book misses out a few things that are in the syllabus like stratified sampling, and capture recapture. if you look at the grade 9 target book for cgp, some of the question require methods that arent explained in the revision guide
For science go CGP. Oxford is good but it has too much useless information. CGP is consise and easy to learn from.

Thank you very much for your answer very appreciate it .
Would you mind telling me about Maths and English please?
sorry but thats terrible advice, either you got lucky, or that specific cgp book does have everything you need in that subject and exam board. i did ocr triple science and there were numerous things in the syllabus that werent in the cgp book at all.

for subjects like maths aswell, the cgp book misses out a few things that are in the syllabus like stratified sampling, and capture recapture. if you look at the grade 9 target book for cgp, some of the question require methods that arent explained in the revision guide

Thank you
Thank you very much for your answer very appreciate it .
Would you mind telling me about Maths and English please?

For maths i only did practise papers and learned how to do every question I got wrong. For english I watched Mr Bruff the night before each exam and got a 7. So i dont really know abour revisiom guides for maths and english sorry

Yeah but cgp was the only thing I ever used. I mean memorising is not enough you gotta understand it properly too to answer the hard questions but I more or less knew the cgp books inside out by the end of the year.
Thank you

Btw I did AQA too. I dont know about the other guy but he did OCR
Yeah but cgp was the only thing I ever used. I mean memorising is not enough you gotta understand it properly too to answer the hard questions but I more or less knew the cgp books inside out by the end of the year.

im not denying that sometimes the cgp books are good enough to get 8-9, but its not good advice to say that you shouldnt bother with the textbooks at all because the cgp books for some subjects and exam boards are not good enough to get high grades, as was the case with ocr triple science.
im not denying that sometimes the cgp books are good enough to get 8-9, but its not good advice to say that you shouldnt bother with the textbooks at all because the cgp books for some subjects and exam boards are not good enough to get high grades, as was the case with ocr triple science.

Yeah idk about OCR so I cant really say anything. You're probably right. I did AQA.
Yeah idk about OCR so I cant really say anything. You're probably right. I did AQA.

So what should I really do?
Go for CGP student book or Oxford?
For AQA please.
Thank you
So what should I really do?
Go for CGP student book or Oxford?
For AQA please.
Thank you

In my experience I did AQA too and found CGP much more useful. I only used them to revise and got a 9. However i recommend you do aqa specimen papers too and learn every question because a lot of it was very similar to the actual exam.
In my experience I did AQA too and found CGP much more useful. I only used them to revise and got a 9. However i recommend you do aqa specimen papers too and learn every question because a lot of it was very similar to the actual exam.

Thank you so much sir/madam for your help. 😊

Quick Reply

Latest