The Student Room Group

Universities launch drive to recruit more white males

#NotTheOnion

wtf are they doing this for? It makes the whole system of affirmative action for minorities defunct if you make it apply to everyone - BAME, women, LGBTQIA+, and now white men. That's everyone.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/09/universities-launch-drive-recruit-white-males-low-numbers-give/

Scroll to see replies

How are they going to get white men to university if they don't want to go.
Reply 2
Original post by AngeryPenguin
#NotTheOnion

wtf are they doing this for? It makes the whole system of affirmative action for minorities defunct if you make it apply to everyone - BAME, women, LGBTQIA+, and now white men. That's everyone.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/09/universities-launch-drive-recruit-white-males-low-numbers-give/

Well because as cited in the article men are classed as a minority and they want equal numbers of all. I dont really see the issue
(edited 5 years ago)
Maybe those white British males don't want to end up in £60000 of dept and low wage job at the end of university. They would rather do an apprenticeship in construction, engineering ect were they earn money while training and earn more money than a lot graduates after finishing training and no dept.
Reply 4
So... What's the problem exactly? A group that is under represented at universities is being encouraged to go???
#NotTheOnion

Careful AP, your letting your bigotry show
We all the OP hates white people with a passion.
Original post by Andrew97

Maybe he has some sort of fetish for straight white men, he seems to bring them up on every thread. :teehee:
Reply 8
I have a crazy suggestion but: how about accepting applicants based on merits, rather than race?
*pretends to be shocked*
Original post by Moxholl
So... What's the problem exactly? A group that is under represented at universities is being encouraged to go???

Hahahahaha, quite a bit different approach when it is other groups.
#NotTheOnion

Your point makes sense if you don't consider white men as people.
Reply 12
The article states that something like 23 out of 146 universities have more female students than male - hardly seems like a crisis. If there are specific universities where there are massive deficits in the number of white males at the uni, I see no problem with this, but it did amuse me to see the researcher was surprised no universities had yet included recruiting more white males in their long term targets
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Andrew97

ffs I am white you moron.
ffs I am white you moron.

Interesting that you hate yourself then
Original post by jameswhughes
Maybe he has some sort of fetish for straight white men, he seems to bring them up on every thread. :teehee:

I've brought them up literally just a couple of times. I say just as much positive stuff about them (such as Trudeu and Macron) as negative (well okay it might be a longer list but ygm)
Reply 16
Original post by JSG29
The article states that something like 23 out of 146 universities have more female students than male - hardly seems like a crisis. If there are specific universities where there are massive deficits in the number of white males at the uni, I see no problem with this, but it did amuse me to see the researcher was surprised no universities had yet included recruiting more white males in their long term targets

This statistic did provide some lightly humourous entertainment for me, what about the other 123? Lol
Original post by JSG29
The article states that something like 23 out of 146 universities have more female students than male

Yeah tbf I think that stat is wrong. BBC reported a while back about the gender gap at unis and from the context I think they got the genders mixed up.
Original post by JSG29

Why would universities want to recruit people (white males) who do not want to be there. Whatever they do they cannot force people to go to university.
Original post by Moxholl

---
It makes the whole system of affirmative action for minorities defunct if you make it apply to everyone - BAME, women, LGBTQIA+, and now white men. That's everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending