The Student Room Group

UWS Midwifery Applicants 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MrsCFP
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself 😊 my name is Cheryl, I’m a 32 year old mature student hoping to apply for the 2019 intake. I’m a mum of one with another due next month 🙈 some of you may remember seeing ‘the pregnant girl’ at the open day a few weeks ago!
Is anyone going to the evening next week organised by the midwifery society?
You are all so organised, I haven’t started my personal statement yet because in truth I have absolutely no idea where to start! I’ve been out of education for 15 years now so feeling very out of my depth, but I’m determined to give it a shot this year and see where it takes me. x

Hey Cheryl!

Oh wow, 1 month to go! You must be getting excited 😊 do you know what u r having?

Yes I’m going on Tuesday! I’m really looking forward to it. My application is easy to go but im holding off until after the workshop on Tuesday in case something crops up that I could add in. I have been out of education for 8 years now so I wouldn’t worry. I think a lot of us will be in the same boat.

Wishing u the best of luck 😊 x
Reply 21
Hi Terri thanks for your reply!

Yes I’m really excited now! We are having another girl! So 2 girls only 2 years apart!

I’m really looking forward to Tuesday as well! Every part of me is eager apart from the whole application process 🙈 which is obviously the important part. I just need to put some confidence in myself to write this personal statement. I’m also worried about my maths as I don’t think I got the C that they are looking for I think it may have been a D but I have everything else so I’m wondering given my age and the fact I did these exams 15 years ago if they will still consider me or not. So much uncertainty.

See you on Tuesday x
Reply 22
Original post by MrsCFP
Hi Terri thanks for your reply!

Yes I’m really excited now! We are having another girl! So 2 girls only 2 years apart!

I’m really looking forward to Tuesday as well! Every part of me is eager apart from the whole application process 🙈 which is obviously the important part. I just need to put some confidence in myself to write this personal statement. I’m also worried about my maths as I don’t think I got the C that they are looking for I think it may have been a D but I have everything else so I’m wondering given my age and the fact I did these exams 15 years ago if they will still consider me or not. So much uncertainty.

See you on Tuesday x

Oh congrats 😊 2 girls, how lovely. I have 1 of each and my youngest (my boy) is absolutely wild haha!

You can email admissions and ask them. To be honest though, I think the maths and English results are the ones they are most strict about. Have you ever done a college course or anything? Sometimes you find that something you done at college will work out as an equivelant to the maths grade you need. Fingers crossed for u x
Reply 23
Haha! My first is the wild one so I’m hoping this second one is slightly calmer 😂

Yes I think it’s maybe looking like I may need to retake maths which is so frustrating! I’m going to go ahead with the application and see where it takes me. If it means applying again next year so be it!

I’ve done a diploma which is the equivalent to 3 A levels but it definitely didn’t include maths. So frustrating when it’s just one grade away and was 15 years ago!

Wishing you lots of luck on your third try!!x
Reply 24
So did anyone go to the aspiring midwives workshop at UWS last night? I absolutely loved it! Just made me more determined to get in but it is defo a bit daunting seeing his many other people are just as passionate as me about midwifery. Just need to try and shine on the day if I’m lucky enough to get interview x
Reply 25
Original post by Terri1990
So did anyone go to the aspiring midwives workshop at UWS last night? I absolutely loved it! Just made me more determined to get in but it is defo a bit daunting seeing his many other people are just as passionate as me about midwifery. Just need to try and shine on the day if I’m lucky enough to get interview x

Hi Terri,

Yes I did go and loved it as well! I was really encouraged to hear that that the entry numbers had gone up to 100 this year!!

Slightly worried about the whole talking for 5 mins after looking at a picture for 30 seconds tho 🙈 but like you said it’s only something to get nervous about if I’m lucky enough to get an interview 🤷*♀️
Reply 26
Original post by MrsCFP
Hi Terri,

Yes I did go and loved it as well! I was really encouraged to hear that that the entry numbers had gone up to 100 this year!!

Slightly worried about the whole talking for 5 mins after looking at a picture for 30 seconds tho 🙈 but like you said it’s only something to get nervous about if I’m lucky enough to get an interview 🤷*♀️

Yeh that worried me too. I thought we would be given a step for a hint and asked certain questions on the picture or something 🙈 I’m just hoping I don’t need to go first so I can get an idea of what people say before me haha!

Yeh I was surprised when they said places were up to 100 this year, that’s amazing! I asked a lecturer at the open day and she told me around 87-90 x
Hey has anyone else got their invitation to interview yet? I was unable to make the workshop, did they say much about what the interview entails?
Reply 28
Interviews will take place the week of 18th February. You will be interviewed with 9 others and a panel of 3. You will be given a picture to look at and then you will need to talk about the picture for 5 mins. Once everyone has done that then you will have a group discussion to see how you interact and communicate with others. They also said you will know very quickly if you have received a place. I can’t answer your question about hearing about interviews yet as I’ve decided not to apply this year but I’m sure someone else will be able to answer that. Good luck 😊
Reply 29
Original post by JulieStr
Hey has anyone else got their invitation to interview yet? I was unable to make the workshop, did they say much about what the interview entails?

They said at the workshop that all applications will be looked at after the closing deadline so I assume no one will hear about interviews until after then.

Oh MrsCFP what has made you decide not to apply this year? X
Reply 30
They said at the workshop that all applications will be looked at after the closing deadline so I assume no one will hear about interviews until after then.

I’m going to retake maths and try and get onto the midwife course at Anniesland college and just take this year to be with my new baby and try and gain some experience for my application next year x

I received an invitation to interview for february. I applied to the MSc last week. I also applied to Napier but havent had a response from them yet but they did say they want qualifications within the last 7 years which I dont have so expecting to be rejected!
Reply 32
I received an invitation to interview for february. I applied to the MSc last week. I also applied to Napier but havent had a response from them yet but they did say they want qualifications within the last 7 years which I dont have so expecting to be rejected!

Oh that’s fab! Well done! They defo said all applications would be looked at after closing date but they must have been wrong. Unless that was maybe just for BSc x
Anyone else heard back from UWS? Got my interview for 18th Feb :smile: :smile: Xx
Original post by chloeg1234x
Anyone else heard back from UWS? Got my interview for 18th Feb :smile: :smile: Xx

My interview is the 20th! Are you applying to BSc or MSc?
My interview is the 20th! Are you applying to BSc or MSc?

I’ve applied for Bsc! Congrats on your interview x
I’ve applied for Bsc! Congrats on your interview x

You too! Did you apply elsewhere aswell? I put in for Napier aswell but had an email yesterday about my qualifications then they said my application would be passed to personal statement review so assume they might be a while yet deciding!
Reply 37

Oh congrats and best of luck! I’m still waiting to hear. When did u apply? Did u get ur interview through ucas or email? X
Oh congrats and best of luck! I’m still waiting to hear. When did u apply? Did u get ur interview through ucas or email? X

Thank you and you! I applied last week, heard through UCAS but got an interview for RG and they sent through email so think unis are different ! X
You too! Did you apply elsewhere aswell? I put in for Napier aswell but had an email yesterday about my qualifications then they said my application would be passed to personal statement review so assume they might be a while yet deciding!

Yeah applied to all 3. Got an interview about 8 hours after Id sent my application from RGU they were quick ! Not heard from Napier though know a few people been rejected though! That’s good that they’re using ur statement to! Hope I hear back from Napier soon as they’re my second choice x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending