The Student Room Group

Personal statement

Will a university find out if I were to lie about having a job in my personal statement
Not worth risking it as they can check things like that out.
Original post by JoeBacon3000
Will a university find out if I were to lie about having a job in my personal statement

Why do you need to lie about having a job in your personal statement? Surely you can mention things that have happened that put you in a positive light?
What type of things should I mention?
What type of things should I mention?

You would need to write about why you want to study your subject and how do you demonstrate this interest. You could talk about your ambitions, wider reading, related projects or volunteering, talks or speeches you have seen, work experience, etc. You should also talk about you as a person - why should a university pick you - you could mention any academic achievements or prizes, achievements outside of school, volunteering or positions of responsibility you have undertaken. Try to keep your personal statement concise and to the point, and truthful!

After you have written a draft, you could ask a teacher to read it over or upload to the private Personal Statement section on TSR to get feedback.

If work experience is important to the university then they’re likely to check.

If it isn’t important then there’s no point in lying.

What subject are you applying for?
Reply 6
Don't lie in your personal statement.

If you haven't got a job that's relevant, talk instead about the experiences you've had that are relevant. If they check and find you've been dishonest you can pretty much forget getting into that Uni.
I recently just did a labouring job for a week how can I apply this to my personal statement if I want to study economics?
Reply 8
I recently just did a labouring job for a week how can I apply this to my personal statement if I want to study economics?

What did you learn from your job that is relevant to an economics course?
When writing a personal statement for a subject such as economics and business management do I gear the whole thing towards one of them more or both equally?
How to apply work experience in your personal statement. I recently did labouring and I plan on doing a economics courses, I’m having trouble finding things which I learnt from labouring which I can apply to economics.
When writing a personal statement, applying for a course such as business and economics should the personal statement be geared more towards one of the subjects or both equally
(Original post by JoeBacon3000)How to apply work experience in your personal statement. I recently did labouring and I plan on doing a economics courses, I’m having trouble finding things which I learnt from labouring which I can apply to economics.
When writing a personal statement, applying for a course such as business and economics should the personal statement be geared more towards one of the subjects or both equally

If it's a joint honours course where you do half your modules from one course and half from the other, then it's best to keep it 50:50.
I’d stick to balancing them both equally. You want it to look like a PS that has applied to both or could easily switch course. For example, if you had applied somewhere for just economics - it should look like you could easily switch over to business management instead if you get what I mean?
Recently did labouring job and plan on applying to an economics course just wondering how I can apply what I’ve learnt from labouring to economics in my personal statement. Or does work experience even have to be directly linked to your specific course or should I just state that I’ve done it?
Recently did labouring job and plan on applying to an economics course just wondering how I can apply what I’ve learnt from labouring to economics in my personal statement. Or does work experience even have to be directly linked to your specific course or should I just state that I’ve done it?

People have already answered this question. If it isn't relevant to your course then it isn't the sort of thing you should be talking about in your PS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending