The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Finance/Finance & Economics 2019/2020

Hi All, I noticed there was no thread started for this year, so I shall get the ball rolling.

Submitted mine end of Sep and still "under review by department"

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm also going to apply for the MPhil in Finance & Economics. I'm a Dutch student with an 8.6 out of 10 average grade (top 2%) from Erasmus University. Hold a undergraduate degree in Business Administration and one in Economics & Business Economics. Currently enrolled in the Msc International Economics. I'll apply late in january most likely, as I still need to take my GRE. I could afford the programme but I'm wondering, what are my best options for getting funding? Considering that I will already hold a graduate degree when I start.
Original post by patrick9700
Hi All, I noticed there was no thread started for this year, so I shall get the ball rolling.

Submitted mine end of Sep and still "under review by department"

Hi Patrick, mind sharing your profile?
Reply 3
Original post by Thomas Kokken
Hi Patrick, mind sharing your profile?

Certainly! but I am not a strong candidate though. A bit of myself: Finance degree from Top 10 RG redbrick, mid first (80+) for both years, summer internships in a globally recognised commercial bank and one in RE firm (both in Asia).
Reply 4
The course page suggests applying before December, but I'm still in the process of taking IELTS. So I think I might have to apply late Dec or early Jan. Does anyone know if this this significantly ruin my chance of getting an offer? Also, is anyone else submitting GRE?
Reply 5
About me:
Poli &Econ in PKU(Peking Univ), China; GPA3.7+, ranking(top 10%)
Exchanged in HKU(the Univ of Hong Kong), Summer in Baruch College (about Financial Engineering), CUNY
TA of investment course for a semester
3 RA experiences in management and social science.
3 internship in audit(big4), controlling(top 10 biggest firms), equity research(local)
IELTS 7.5(but my writing score is only 6.5)
I am struggling with GRE, which is 154+170(I haven't got my AW score yet)
I am worried about my weak GRE score.
To what extent does GRE score matter? I am so diffident about this.
Reply 6
Original post by Thomas Kokken
Hi! I'm also going to apply for the MPhil in Finance & Economics. I'm a Dutch student with an 8.6 out of 10 average grade (top 2%) from Erasmus University. Hold a undergraduate degree in Business Administration and one in Economics & Business Economics. Currently enrolled in the Msc International Economics. I'll apply late in january most likely, as I still need to take my GRE. I could afford the programme but I'm wondering, what are my best options for getting funding? Considering that I will already hold a graduate degree when I start.

Applying for the MPhil Econ Research course - if you want funding that is where it almost all goes to.
Reply 7
Did anybody's application move to the "degree committee" stage?
Same question. Anyone move to the "degree committee" stage?
Reply 9
I have just applied for MPhil Economic Research.
Good luck everyone !
I have also applied for the MPhil in Economic Research last week (just in time for the funding deadline, of course :wink:). The application is currently under review by the department - let's see what comes of it. Also good luck to everyone from me!

P.S: Some words about my profile: Undergraduate at a Swiss university majoring in economics with a fair amount of math / metrics courses , GPA of 5.7 / 6 (~ top 5% or better, if I had to guess, but concrete numbers are hard to come by here), GRE of V169 / Q168 / AW5.0, some relevant internship experience, spent a term at a good econ university in the UK for my exchange.
Reply 11
Applied for Mphil in Economics in early Nov. Just got moved to GAO stage! Hope it’s good news!
Congratulations! Could you share your profile?
Reply 13
Original post by ashley00000
Congratulations! Could you share your profile?

Thanks! I'm actually quite surprised by how early applications are moved into the GAO stage this year for the Econ department.

I'm applying from a top Australian university with first class honours in economics/econometrics.
Reply 14
hi everyone! just saw there was a thread specifically for econ and finance applicants. i've applied for MPhil Economics. i checked my application portal yesterday and saw that the status has been updated to 'awaiting approval by GAO'. i have no idea when this changed because i wasn't checking consistently till yesterday lol. how long do you think it will take until this is (hopefully!!) translated into a formal offer?
Original post by heryeol
hi everyone! just saw there was a thread specifically for econ and finance applicants. i've applied for MPhil Economics. i checked my application portal yesterday and saw that the status has been updated to 'awaiting approval by GAO'. i have no idea when this changed because i wasn't checking consistently till yesterday lol. how long do you think it will take until this is (hopefully!!) translated into a formal offer?

Congrats, definitively sounds very promising! When did you apply?

On the website it says: "It may take approximately seven days from degree committee approval for your application to be considered by the Board of Graduate Studies (= GAO)", so I guess it shouldn't take very long anymore. Although from reading about previous experiences, I got the impression that the first offers for econ are usually not handed out until early January, so who knows?
Reply 16
Original post by Swissbro
Congrats, definitively sounds very promising! When did you apply?

On the website it says: "It may take approximately seven days from degree committee approval for your application to be considered by the Board of Graduate Studies (= GAO)", so I guess it shouldn't take very long anymore. Although from reading about previous experiences, I got the impression that the first offers for econ are usually not handed out until early January, so who knows?

I just checked again and my status changed to conditional offer made!!!!!
I submitted my application on the 10th October. I am so thrilled, I wasn't expecting anything till January either
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by heryeol
I just checked again and my status changed to conditional offer made!!!!!
I submitted my application on the 10th October. I am so thrilled, I wasn't expecting anything till January either

Congrats!

Did it just update on the portal or did they send an email as well?
Reply 18
Original post by lxx8975
Congrats!

Did it just update on the portal or did they send an email as well?

It just updated on the portal, it says I will be emailed a formal offer letter with my offer conditions within 48 hours.
Reply 19
Original post by heryeol
It just updated on the portal, it says I will be emailed a formal offer letter with my offer conditions within 48 hours.

Mine also change to GAO, but it seems stuck there and hasn’t updated yet😭😭 So worrried

Quick Reply

Latest