The Student Room Group

Is it hard to get a 2.1/1.1?

Scroll to see replies

What did you study SJW-, out of curiosity?
Not hard if you put in the effort.
Original post by arigziegler
Not hard if you put in the effort.

Yeah, of course it's going to depend on the course at hand and student's aptitude therefor though uni courses are specifically designed to be quite easily doable if you put in the effort.
Reply 23
Original post by wonderland.16
Sorry about there only being one 'enter' or new line being used-- there is a glitch it seems and my laptop still won't let me included them properly!
Haha! Trust me, I'm still winging it! As are most people. Everyone SEEMS like they know what's going on, but often they are none the wiser either. I was a designated course rep last year, so I had to go to meetings etc. As a result people presume, even now when I'm no longer a rep, that I know exactly what's going on all the time-- when I have the same access to the same resources, and am honestly winging it like everyone else! Key, in my opinion, is self belief. Believe you can do it, put the effort and the time in, and you will get there. What I find helps a lot is going to study/work somewhere publicly, as I feel like people are watching me and therefore have to show that I am working...if that makes sense? (I should add, I know that they aren't watching me...I'm very aware of my surroundings and of other people's opinions which helps. Definitely try to read at least the main books/journals etc on the list-- and then do your own research. YOU CANNOT GET A HIGH GRADE WITHOUT IT (according to my lecturers-- the paper I got back yesterday was the most reading I had done for any assignment and it was reflected in my grade.) I'm now in my 2nd year of Primary Ed teacher training...so mine is like a degree and a PGCE in one, within 3 years. I know my course can be very different to that of others, but we still have to do all the assignments etc like everyone else. Don't worry about feeling like you are not used to everything yet-- you have only been there for 2 months ish. It takes time. I think I finally felt like I was comfortable on my course in the 2nd semester. By that point I knew what to do and who to talk to regarding assignments etc. This year I feel more relaxed and a lot more comfortable as my living arrangements suit me much better. Also definitely talk to someone about your mental health. I have anxiety and social difficulties and my ex-course director is aware so checks up on me. I've also had family challenges (2 family members having strokes, another passed away, another hospitalised again etc.) so lecturers checking up on me is invaluable. It makes a world of difference to me knowing that if I needed to, I could talk to them. Make sure you have that. Maybe not necessarily lecturers, as I'm in a small uni we are lucky with out contact time- and due to the course too- but even pastoral staff etc. Anywho-- best of luck, send any messages my way, always happy to help where I can :smile:

I know what you mean about the “going to a public place to study” I think I tried that once haha but I probably wouldn’t study coz I feel like everyone’s looking at me haha. Luckily I’m fine with the course works because i have my own time to do it but exams are just scary I feel like all the information I learned just vanishes. I’ve got a statistics exam soon and I’m so over whelmed but I feel like I can do it with the help of lots of past papers coz it’s like maths but idk. I ’m sorry for you loss btw.
Original post by nabilahhh
I know what you mean about the “going to a public place to study” I think I tried that once haha but I probably wouldn’t study coz I feel like everyone’s looking at me haha. Luckily I’m fine with the course works because i have my own time to do it but exams are just scary I feel like all the information I learned just vanishes. I’ve got a statistics exam soon and I’m so over whelmed but I feel like I can do it with the help of lots of past papers coz it’s like maths but idk. I ’m sorry for you loss btw.

As I type I am sat in a cafe doing my assignment haha! It really works for me. That's fortunate for you. I have to support my work with educational theorists, theories, concepts, movements etc, which is what takes the time. Ah, I presume with that sort of exam then you don't know what questions will arise. My only exam on the course so far was a seen paper so I couldn't go wrong. Maybe do some practice run throughs once you have the material sorted? Go into a study room at uni if yours has them and do the paper as if it's the exam? Just see how you do? And then (if you can) get someone else to mark it, as then it will be similar to an exam in a round about way? Hope it works out anyway! I can't stand exams- I'm so glad that I've only had one! Good luck!

Yeah, if you study fine at home with no issues there's nothing wrong with doing that. :smile: Best to do it where you're most comfortable and able to get into the zone. Some of my friends have never even set foot in it lol, but personally I like the library as the student house I'm in can be quite noisy and I'm likely to get distracted with my housemates or own devices, whereas the library's a "work setting" where I'm less likely to slack off (though still do sometimes :tongue:); also psychologically it's nice to be able to have a separate work space, coming home to relax and do other things. It can also be good practice for working in an office environment and gets easier over time; trust me, no one's gonna be looking at you in the library, they're too busy trying to sweat out an essay before a party or whatever haha.

Glad you're fine with courseworks, as I said it's best to start them early and chip away at them overtime but I'm assuming you're hopefully not a last minute person like I've only recently stopped being lol. As a bit of a lazy sod but who's good at memorizing stuff I tend to do better in exams myself but feel coursework's generally a better way to assess ability and put skills and knowledge into practice to be honest (simultaneously a 100% coursework course would probably be too stressful!).

As wonderland.16 mentions practice runthroughs can definitely be a good way to practice for exams and help to alleviate anxiety therewith. If you ask I'm pretty sure you'd be able to practice papers in the exam rooms when they're not in use. I had a friend in secondary school who did something similar for A levels, asking if he could do past papers in the exam hall after school, so by the time the real exams rolled around it didn't stress him out, he was used to the exam hall setting (obviously other students will be there for the real exam but doesn't make a difference when everyone's focused on their paper) and did really well! But yeah, preparation is key in reducing anxiety so long as you've revised, nothing to worry about :smile: (and if you haven't, wing it :wink: I'll admit I barely studied for my exams in first year lol).

Chillax for the stats exam; whenabouts is it? My advice, try to understand all the material and then do those past papers, and you should be totally fine. :smile: The first exams might be a bit daunting but you'll get used to uni exams, and if you're having trouble with exam anxiety etc. let the uni know and they can hopefully offer some support with that. Anyways best of luck with the rest of first year and most importantly try to enjoy it! :biggrin:
In first year I found getting a first overall pretty easy. Third year getting a first overall in my degree was quite hard, not because I didn't understand what was going on, but I was really unwell, my mum had cancer and one of my best friends died. So I spent a whole lot of time stressing out and not working. Left my dissertation til the last minute etc.

Anyway it is doable.
Original post by Pathway
In first year I found getting a first overall pretty easy. Third year getting a first overall in my degree was quite hard, not because I didn't understand what was going on, but I was really unwell, my mum had cancer and one of my best friends died. So I spent a whole lot of time stressing out and not working. Left my dissertation til the last minute etc.

Anyway it is doable.

My condolences, I'm really sorry you had to go through that *hugs* Congratulations for coming out with a first though, that's amazing! :smile:

Yeah, OP said they unfortunately deal with MH issues, and it can be really tough functioning and studying like "normal" when symptoms are bad. I personally find when I've got my MH issues under control and the worst is at bay, am maintaining a good routine etc. I can do just fine academically; when I'm in the midst of a bad episode it can be really tough but thankfully the right action and treatment can help get through it. Thus it's really important to take care of yourself, monitor how you're doing, be aware of signs/symptoms, and reach out when things start to go south before things spiral, the earlier you tackle issues the better. Regardless, I'm sure you'll have a great time at uni OP! :u:
Reply 28
Original post by kittenmittenz
Yeah, if you study fine at home with no issues there's nothing wrong with doing that. :smile: Best to do it where you're most comfortable and able to get into the zone. Some of my friends have never even set foot in it lol, but personally I like the library as the student house I'm in can be quite noisy and I'm likely to get distracted with my housemates or own devices, whereas the library's a "work setting" where I'm less likely to slack off (though still do sometimes :tongue:); also psychologically it's nice to be able to have a separate work space, coming home to relax and do other things. It can also be good practice for working in an office environment and gets easier over time; trust me, no one's gonna be looking at you in the library, they're too busy trying to sweat out an essay before a party or whatever haha.

Glad you're fine with courseworks, as I said it's best to start them early and chip away at them overtime but I'm assuming you're hopefully not a last minute person like I've only recently stopped being lol. As a bit of a lazy sod but who's good at memorizing stuff I tend to do better in exams myself but feel coursework's generally a better way to assess ability and put skills and knowledge into practice to be honest (simultaneously a 100% coursework course would probably be too stressful!).

As wonderland.16 mentions practice runthroughs can definitely be a good way to practice for exams and help to alleviate anxiety therewith. If you ask I'm pretty sure you'd be able to practice papers in the exam rooms when they're not in use. I had a friend in secondary school who did something similar for A levels, asking if he could do past papers in the exam hall after school, so by the time the real exams rolled around it didn't stress him out, he was used to the exam hall setting (obviously other students will be there for the real exam but doesn't make a difference when everyone's focused on their paper) and did really well! But yeah, preparation is key in reducing anxiety so long as you've revised, nothing to worry about :smile: (and if you haven't, wing it :wink: I'll admit I barely studied for my exams in first year lol).

Chillax for the stats exam; whenabouts is it? My advice, try to understand all the material and then do those past papers, and you should be totally fine. :smile: The first exams might be a bit daunting but you'll get used to uni exams, and if you're having trouble with exam anxiety etc. let the uni know and they can hopefully offer some support with that. Anyways best of luck with the rest of first year and most importantly try to enjoy it! :biggrin:

I was a last minute person haha but I feel like uni doesn’t allow me to do that because we’ve got due dates compared to college. I’ve done my first assignment last minute and I was STRESSED. So I made sure I completed my second assignment 3 weeks early and had the Chance to go back to it if I had to change some stuff. I wasn’t ready to send it through even though I was confident with it haha. I’ll definitely send it of today tho so I can focus on exams.

My exams are all in January (they’re 2). Would 4 past papers be enough for me to complete and understand what I’m meant to do. I feel like if I try hard,I can get more than a pass. Statistics exam seem a lot like maths.

Even though they only gave us for different past papers to complete i feel like as if tho the exam would be a combination of all. I’m meant to get 40/100 to get just a pass and 70/100 is like a first. Apparently it’s easy to get 100 if you study efficiently (its easy for him to say haha). But I’ll definitely love to try.

Does anyone ever feel as if they’re just not good enough compared to the other smart kiddos or is just me?
My condolences, I'm really sorry you had to go through that *hugs* Congratulations for coming out with a first though, that's amazing! :smile:

Yeah, OP said they unfortunately deal with MH issues, and it can be really tough functioning and studying like "normal" when symptoms are bad. I personally find when I've got my MH issues under control and the worst is at bay, am maintaining a good routine etc. I can do just fine academically; when I'm in the midst of a bad episode it can be really tough but thankfully the right action and treatment can help get through it. Thus it's really important to take care of yourself, monitor how you're doing, be aware of signs/symptoms, and reach out when things start to go south before things spiral, the earlier you tackle issues the better. Regardless, I'm sure you'll have a great time at uni OP! :u:

Thank you.

Yeah, my mental health being poor made studying in my final year very difficult. The help I got from student support for both my mental and physical health problems were second to none. I definitely would've dropped out without it or just not passed at all. Do/did you get DSA at university? @nabilahhh If you're struggling with your MH then it might be worth looking into getting DSA if you haven't already.
Reply 30
Original post by Pinkisk
It depends on how hard you study but sadly this is not the only deciding factor in how easy it will be for you to get a first in your first year. There are other factors at play here, some you can help others you can't. These include how well you can keep away from trouble and how you handle trouble when it comes knocking at your door. They also include things like the capacities (or lack thereof) of the persons marking your assessments. In many universities factors that influence how easy you have it sadly also include the political ideologies you subscribe to, the religion you belong to, the gender you were born into and even the colour of your skin.

Our lecturers don’t really know we are because everything is kept confidential.
Reply 31
Original post by wonderland.16
As I type I am sat in a cafe doing my assignment haha! It really works for me. That's fortunate for you. I have to support my work with educational theorists, theories, concepts, movements etc, which is what takes the time. Ah, I presume with that sort of exam then you don't know what questions will arise. My only exam on the course so far was a seen paper so I couldn't go wrong. Maybe do some practice run throughs once you have the material sorted? Go into a study room at uni if yours has them and do the paper as if it's the exam? Just see how you do? And then (if you can) get someone else to mark it, as then it will be similar to an exam in a round about way? Hope it works out anyway! I can't stand exams- I'm so glad that I've only had one! Good luck!

I have to look at past reports and literature reviews and all that. Compare and contrast. Got me skimming and scanning through the internet haha. I’m definitely going to try and complete some past papers and try hard. THANKS FOR YOU HELP x
wow have i stumbled into War and Peace xd
Reply 33
Original post by Pathway

Anyway it is doable.

That’s AMAZING tbh. A first after all that struggle shows that you’ve very strong. I’m very sorry to know you’ve been through all that and hope that your mum is doing well atm x
Reply 34
Original post by Pathway
Thank you.

Yeah, my mental health being poor made studying in my final year very difficult. The help I got from student support for both my mental and physical health problems were second to none. I definitely would've dropped out without it or just not passed at all. Do/did you get DSA at university? @nabilahhh If you're struggling with your MH then it might be worth looking into getting DSA if you haven't already.

I’m struggling with MH problems but I’ve never spoke to anyone about it yet. What’s DSA btw?
Reply 35
I’m struggling with MH problems but I’ve never spoke to anyone about it yet. What’s DSA btw?

I also don’t want my parents to know. Would that be possible?
Reply 36
What did you study SJW-, out of curiosity?

Psychology x
If you do what the Uni tells you, 2:1 should't be hard

Yeah, my mum is doing okay.

I'd say the first thing you need to do is talk to your GP about your mental health issues and then see the student support team at your university. DSA is Disabled Students' Allowance. You get different things to help mitigate your disability/health conditions. Your parents don't need to know you've seen anyone about your mental health. You're an adult and effectively it's entirely up to you. The only time they'd be informed is if you were a risk to yourself or others and refused help. So by law they'd have to inform your nearest relative.
Reply 39
Original post by Pathway
Yeah, my mum is doing okay.

I'd say the first thing you need to do is talk to your GP about your mental health issues and then see the student support team at your university. DSA is Disabled Students' Allowance. You get different things to help mitigate your disability/health conditions. Your parents don't need to know you've seen anyone about your mental health. You're an adult and effectively it's entirely up to you. The only time they'd be informed is if you were a risk to yourself or others and refused help. So by law they'd have to inform your nearest relative.

That’s great news. I’ll probably make a gp appointment soon during the Christmas holiday. Eeek wish me luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending