The Student Room Group

To A*/A students - how much time (per day, per subject) did you spend revising?

how much time (per day, per subject) did you spend revising?
For GCSEs?
Reply 2
I know you probably know this and it's not what you're asking, but don't just use time as an indication of how much to revise. Don't just say "i'll do 1 hour of this tonight". Make specific targets like "I need to finish this homework and understand this topic".

That said, I would say per night you should be doing a minimum of 30 minutes from Sept-March. This isn't per subject, this is just overall. Sometimes you will need to do 2+ hours, sometimes if you're on top of your stuff you only need 30 minutes to just make some extra notes. It's about what you need to do not necessarily how much time. I would argue the only subject where you can use time alone to justify effort is maths practice questions, especially if they're the same type of questions (i.e. i'll do as many of these integration questions in 1 hour).

How can you tell if you're doing enough work per night? Well if you're able to keep up in lessons and not find the subject too challenging, you're probably doing fine. IMO the best tip to use throughout the year is to revise 5-10 mins just before your next lesson of whatever you did last lesson. If you go into a lesson with what you did last lesson fresh in mind, you will find the a-level so much easier than others who didn't.

After March, you should be doing a minimum of 1 hour per day, sometimes 4+ hours making very busy evenings...

I wrote a pdf a few years ago after I finished my a-levels (3A*s, 94% average) with some advice, check my profile for the link
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Dylann
I know you probably know this and it's not what you're asking, but don't just use time as an indication of how much to revise. Don't just say "i'll do 1 hour of this tonight". Make specific targets like "I need to finish this homework and understand this topic".

That said, I would say per night you should be doing a minimum of 30 minutes from Sept-March. This isn't per subject, this is just overall. Sometimes you will need to do 2+ hours, sometimes if you're on top of your stuff you only need 30 minutes to just make some extra notes. It's about what you need to do not necessarily how much time. I would argue the only subject where you can use time alone to justify effort is maths practice questions, especially if they're the same type of questions (i.e. i'll do as many of these integration questions in 1 hour).

How can you tell if you're doing enough work per night? Well if you're able to keep up in lessons and not find the subject too challenging, you're probably doing fine. IMO the best tip to use throughout the year is to revise 5-10 mins just before your next lesson of whatever you did last lesson. If you go into a lesson with what you did last lesson fresh in mind, you will find the a-level so much easier than others who didn't.

After March, you should be doing a minimum of 1 hour per day, sometimes 4+ hours making very busy evenings...

I wrote a pdf a few years ago after I finished my a-levels (3A*s, 94% average) with some advice, check my profile for the link

Although it was just a general question because I was curious, you've managed to give me an excellent piece of advice that I'm definitely going to consider and is going to change the way I revise for my A-levels! Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by Dylann

This is really good advice btw (I haven't finished A levels but predicted 3A*) make specific goals rather than how many hours. It sooo much more helpful if you get a set of complete tasks done than just cramp in some stuff in a set amount of time. Also if your question is for gcse then it is different than if it is for a levels- from what most people get told in school, in year 13 at least 4hours a day if you do 4 subjects, but it isn't set in stone as some people don't need that long and others need longer.
Are we talking about GCSEs or A levels (or both) here?
Original post by kittenmittenz
Are we talking about GCSEs or A levels (or both) here?

Original post by FreestyleXDL
For GCSEs?

Look at the topic.
I got A*A*A in my A-levels. To be honest I did very little revision because I was very lazy but have an excellent short term memory.

I didn't really start doing any revision until study leave, so in May, and the bulk of my revision for the two subjects I got A* in was done by reading through the texts/textbooks the day before until 4am on the morning of the exam.

I don't recommend it though...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by LeapingLucy
I got A*A*A in my A-levels. To be honest I did very little revision because I was very lazy but have an excellent short term memory.

I didn't really start doing any revision until study leave, so in May, and the bulk of my revision for the two subjects I got A* in was done by reading through the texts/textbooks the day before until 4am on the morning of the exam.

Wow interesting strategy, can I ask which subjects you did and what exam board?
Original post by Mr.noname
Wow interesting strategy, can I ask which subjects you did and what exam board?

All Edexcel, English Literature (A*), History (A*) and Mathematics (A).

I did more work for maths than I did for the other two combined. Essay subjects are easier to wing!

I was in a similar boat, only started proper revision about a couple of days before each exam, don't recommend leaving it so late!! I didn't study so late into the night though, the evening before each exam after like 9 o'clock I just relaxed (I was watching The Looney Tunes Show in Year 13 at the time iirc :tongue:) and went to bed at a good time to try get a good night's sleep before the exam (sometimes took a bit of time getting to sleep cause of nerves, but luckily most of the exams were first thing in the morning so wasn't so tired). I did maths, further maths and physics to A2 by the way, which went hand in hand quite nicely.

For revision I just carefully went through the textbooks and practiced past papers before the exams; however I attended all my lessons throughout the year, paid attention in class and did the classwork and homework (which sometimes I was annoyed was quite a lot but in retrospect it was helpful); thankfully I had some great teachers and once we'd covered all the content we did a lot of revision and past papers in class, so by the time the exams rolled around we were already pretty prepared (our exams started before we went on study leave lol, but if you're lucky enough to get study leave beforehand use the time! Or skive off lessons a few days before the exams like some of my classmates did which I don't condone, but you gotta do what you gotta do...)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by viktorschk72

During the school year: not really much at all. Just completed the homework and made sure I understood what was going on.

During X-mas: just started doing past papers for the maths modules that we had completed. Read through notes for other subjects.

During Easter: mainly just past-papers at this point and reviewing them. How much time you spend will depend on:
- how many A-Levels you do (in my case it was the shear number of maths modules)
- where your understanding is at this point (if you understand things, then you can fly through the past papers with few errors)
- what A-levels you do - if you do lots of essay subjects, then you will need to write and learn essay plans (inevitably will take more time). If you are doing maths/sciences, then you just need to understand the content and thats it.

Hope that helps. I would not burn yourself out in Easter as you will need the energy to get you through until the end of June.
Hi,

I just wanted to ask any of the 2nd years/college leavers here if they had poor/sub par results at the beginning of college?
I'm doing okay in two subjects (B/Cs, sometimes a rare A).
But the other I got an E and a U in the past two end-of-term tests.
Original post by Dylann

Hey, I was just reading this thread out of curiosity, but I had a look at the pdf you mentioned and wow! I'd just like to thank you because it is exactly what I need at the moment without realising I needed it! So helpful :smile: I'm in year 12 and have struggled with the step up from GCSE in maths, although I am doing well in both geography and history. Did you ever get around to doing an updated version of it? Of course there is absolutely no problem if you did, it is already fantastic!
Original post by viktorschk72

27 hours a day revising.

Yes, you read that right :smile:
Enough revision to retain all the knowledge but not enough to burn myself out completely.
Reply 16
Original post by banders18
Hey, I was just reading this thread out of curiosity, but I had a look at the pdf you mentioned and wow! I'd just like to thank you because it is exactly what I need at the moment without realising I needed it! So helpful :smile: I'm in year 12 and have struggled with the step up from GCSE in maths, although I am doing well in both geography and history. Did you ever get around to doing an updated version of it? Of course there is absolutely no problem if you did, it is already fantastic!

Nah I remember when I got to uni I was way too busy with everything else so I just left it, not much I could have added anyway. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yooooo we have such similar "studying" styles!! Are there any other tips you could give? Im taking my A-levels in three months...

Quick Reply

Latest