The Student Room Group

Best way to revise for A- Level Sociology??

Hi there,

I study A- Level Sociology along with English Literature and Psychology. I have noticed that the format for paper 1 and 2 for sociology are different. Does anyone have any good revision techniques they use to help them revise? For example, the 20 markers for beliefs and families require for and against or sometimes even evaluation points along with it, is there any way in which revision could be made easier for this section in particular (paper 2).

Thanks
Any advice would be appreciated
Did you try to look at revision guides to buy on amazon ? Or ask your teachers. For theories in sociology i’d say try flashcards and note taking & download some past exam papers (some come with marking schemes) if they dont then ask your teacher to mark them for you and you’d be fine. All you need is theories
Original post by Jagoda1402
Did you try to look at revision guides to buy on amazon ? Or ask your teachers. For theories in sociology i’d say try flashcards and note taking & download some past exam papers (some come with marking schemes) if they dont then ask your teacher to mark them for you and you’d be fine. All you need is theories

I have tried flashcards etc but I can’t remeber them in the exam. Due to exam time pressure I tend to waffle, whereas when I have the time I think over the question link my answer to it and include relevant theorists. I’ve noticed that I lack confidence in exams.
Do you study Sociology?
What revision techniques work for you?
With Sociology, the answer would be so simple but you’ll have to support it with sociological evidence.
Original post by SnowyOwl2505
I have tried flashcards etc but I can’t remeber them in the exam. Due to exam time pressure I tend to waffle, whereas when I have the time I think over the question link my answer to it and include relevant theorists. I’ve noticed that I lack confidence in exams.
Do you study Sociology?
What revision techniques work for you?
With Sociology, the answer would be so simple but you’ll have to support it with sociological evidence.

I do study sociology and honestly, the exam layout is terrible. I really like doing past papers because I can also time myslef and see how i work under pressure.
Try to make acronyms for your theories if they are hard to remember. Or the best thing is to tell someone what you know and tell them to ask you questions.
When you teach someone something, then you remember it.
How i revise with my friend is; we read a page in a textbook & we each teach eachother what its about and then ask questions and test eachother, then we swap the pages so she would read the one I just done and we do the same thing through out. Or tell your mum what Marxists say or something , definitely will help.
Original post by Jagoda1402
I do study sociology and honestly, the exam layout is terrible. I really like doing past papers because I can also time myslef and see how i work under pressure.
Try to make acronyms for your theories if they are hard to remember. Or the best thing is to tell someone what you know and tell them to ask you questions.
When you teach someone something, then you remember it.
How i revise with my friend is; we read a page in a textbook & we each teach eachother what its about and then ask questions and test eachother, then we swap the pages so she would read the one I just done and we do the same thing through out. Or tell your mum what Marxists say or something , definitely will help.

I feel as though my hardest subject is Sociology because the exam layout like you said is terrible. It’s like a normal exam paper for paper 1 and then families and households and beliefs is something else.
I have tried to read the textbook but there’s sooo much information in there that it kind of freaks me out. Sometimes I think how are we expected to know all this. I’d say education is my strongest topic. How are you finding the other topics on sociology? What other subjects do you study?
Have you applied to universities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending