The Student Room Group

I’ve had depression for months and haven’t told anyone

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMR2018
You can always PM me if you need to talk things through :smile:

Thanks a lot! I will do
Original post by Anonymous
Ive read anti depressants just make you feel worse as time goes on

I currently take Sertraline(Zoloft) 75mg and it does work for me. I haven't experienced any side effects.
Original post by Ciel.
Telling people doesn't change a thing.
Telling everything to his or her GP is the first thing that the OP should do.
The OP should make an appointment today and take things from there.

Talking to professionals about the issues that the OP's having is by far the best thing that the OP can do at this stage.

The OP's GP will probably refer them to the local Psychological Therapy team.
Original post by Ciel.
Don't ever quote me, you are one of the most annoying people on TSR, just seeing your posts irks me.

Wow...
I’ve had depression for months now and haven’t told anyone.. no ones noticed as ive always been quiet and liked having “me” time but I know it’s getting worse, I just feel so down all the time and overthink literally everything and make it seems as though it’s the end of the world. I am very emotional but my family always say I’m emotionless as I don’t like to show or talk about my feelings. I have really bad anxiety and just see a very bleak future for myself.

Sounds like me (but I'm not depressed).
Don’t self diagnose that just makes things worse, if you think you’re depressed go to a doctor or psychologist

:yep:
Original post by Ciel.
Haha. No. There's no solution. There's no cure for depression, silly. Don't make things sound so easy.

Especcially with a mindset like that. Yes it's difficult but sometimes you have to fight for a solution. Don't just sit there and hope it'll get better.
Reply 27
Especcially with a mindset like that. Yes it's difficult but sometimes you have to fight for a solution. Don't just sit there and hope it'll get better.

What else can you do when medication + fake positive attitude don't work? All you can do is make yourself as comfortable as you can by spoiling yourself and doing/buying whatever you want. Which is what I do.
Original post by Ciel.
What else can you do when medication + fake positive attitude don't work? All you can do is make yourself as comfortable as you can by spoiling yourself and doing/buying whatever you want. Which is what I do.

Ngl, that sounds like a good way of dealing with it. Although that will only be feasable short term. I wish you the best of luck. (And you OP - It's not something I ever want to deal with.)
Original post by Ciel.

Yh, I don't think (my) depression can be "cured". I feel better with antidepressants, self care, CBT. But it never completely goes away or it "goes away" then comes back again.
Original post by Ciel.

Are we the same person :rolleyes: haha my thoughts exactly. Depression is a horrible thing
Original post by Obolinda
Yh, I don't think (my) depression can be "cured". I feel better with antidepressants, self care, CBT. But it never completely goes away or it "goes away" then comes back again.

Depression can defiantly not be cured and that’s what makes it worse when thinking about it. Even when you do feel better it’s always in the back of your mind. It’s sad really.

But sometimes you feel so low that’s all you can do. You just don’t feel in the right mind frame to get up and go talk to someone about how you feel.
Wow...

I agree with Ciel. She is giving her take on it via her own experiences, regardless of whether people like it or not. Everyone’s experiences are different. She says it how it is. I was diagnosed with depression in 1963 when I was just 15. I know it won’t ever go away. I know this for sure that I will take it with me to my grave and I am 70. I know why I have it, who and what caused it. I have had every medication there ever was from. Electro Convulsive Therapy right the way through to the modern era. I still have it.
I’ve seen worse on here than what she has to say. Being greeted on a Sunday morning here by some fool saying that if you read the Bible blah blah you will be cured. So, from the fairy in the Sky to people saying that you just go to your GP and straight away you get a prescription shoved across the desk at you. You have to wait weeks or even months to see an NHS counsellor, a psychotherapist, or you get the cheapest they can throw at you whether it’s what you need or not.
The OP has diagnosed herself with depression. She is reduced to going on an Internet forum for advice. That’s how bad it is to get help today.
You have to find your own way out of it. Deal with it as best you can. My family is my protective factor, my hobbies, my voluntary work. I had a counsellor. He was nice, but he was like 30. He had no idea what I was talking about. He threw up all over me when I recounted my childhood experiences. I was out that door quicker than I came in.
Find your own way.
Reply 34

To be honest, a small part of me naively hopes that it will just goes away some day. You never know. I mean, even people with cancer get miraculously cured sometimes. The world is a strange place, lol. And yeah, my depression comes and goes in episodes too, but it never goes away completely. It's like being trapped in a weird dream, nothing ever feels 100% real anymore.

Are we the same person :rolleyes: haha my thoughts exactly. Depression is a horrible thing

Maybe. Lol.

Original post by Seamus123
I agree with Ciel. She is giving her take on it via her own experiences, regardless of whether people like it or not. Everyone’s experiences are different. She says it how it is. I was diagnosed with depression in 1963 when I was just 15. I know it won’t ever go away. I know this for sure that I will take it with me to my grave and I am 70. I know why I have it, who and what caused it. I have had every medication there ever was from. Electro Convulsive Therapy right the way through to the modern era. I still have it.
I’ve seen worse on here than what she has to say. Being greeted on a Sunday morning here by some fool saying that if you read the Bible blah blah you will be cured. So, from the fairy in the Sky to people saying that you just go to your GP and straight away you get a prescription shoved across the desk at you. You have to wait weeks or even months to see an NHS counsellor, a psychotherapist, or you get the cheapest they can throw at you whether it’s what you need or not.
The OP has diagnosed herself with depression. She is reduced to going on an Internet forum for advice. That’s how bad it is to get help today.
You have to find your own way out of it. Deal with it as best you can. My family is my protective factor, my hobbies, my voluntary work. I had a counsellor. He was nice, but he was like 30. He had no idea what I was talking about. He threw up all over me when I recounted my childhood experiences. I was out that door quicker than I came in.
Find your own way.

He*
I assume you had some traumatic experience that led to/triggered your depression. That was the case for me, although it happened in my teens, not in my childhood. Still, from my experience/observations, this type of depression, caused/triggered by trauma, seems to be the worst kind and most people never fully recover. It's strange...
Overthinking is the biggest cause of depression. More you think, more you get depressed, so you really should get some help for depression. You should find the actual source/reason for your depression. Once you would come to know the cause, you are able to get rid of it. Best way tell your parents or friends about the things that affects you in your life instead of being calm, let them know how you feel so that whatever they think about you that’s not happened. It really help you out from this.
Original post by RachelThorpe
Overthinking is the biggest cause of depression. More you think, more you get depressed, so you really should get some help for depression. You should find the actual source/reason for your depression. Once you would come to know the cause, you are able to get rid of it. Best way tell your parents or friends about the things that affects you in your life instead of being calm, let them know how you feel so that whatever they think about you that’s not happened. It really help you out from this.

From my experience and from whaat I've heard from others, that isn't always true. There isn't always a reason to why you're depressed. I think it would be a lot easier to treat if that was the case and in theory talking therapy or CBT would cure everyone. Overthinking is quite potentially a side effect of depression - it certainly isn't a cause and therefore, to stop overthinking is a lot easier said than done.
if you were truly depressed no offense i'd think people would know. not to say they'd care. having a depressed personality would make it hard to spot depression, which is unfortunate. they'd label you as rude or whatever without thinking that it's depression. People seem to take being shy or moody as being a c*nt who doesnt say hi, **** em.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
if you were truly depressed no offense i'd think people would know. not to say they'd care. having a depressed personality would make it hard to spot depression, which is unfortunate. they'd label you as rude or whatever without thinking that it's depression. People seem to take being shy or moody as being a c*nt who doesnt say hi, **** em.

If you hear families of celebrities who committed suicide - especially in the past couple of years - you'll know that isn't always the case.
At the same time there are people who are high-functioning and low-functioning with depression and to say that anyone who is high-functioning isn't actually depressed, when it isn't necessarily so easy to tell, is just kinda not right...

Some people put on a 'brave' face or just try and act 'normal' for a number of reasons.
I'm not saying that OP definitely is depressed, but suggesting they're not because the people around them can't tell, doesn't instantly 'undiagnose' them.
If you hear families of celebrities who committed suicide - especially in the past couple of years - you'll know that isn't always the case.
At the same time there are people who are high-functioning and low-functioning with depression and to say that anyone who is high-functioning isn't actually depressed, when it isn't necessarily so easy to tell, is just kinda not right...

Some people put on a 'brave' face or just try and act 'normal' for a number of reasons.
I'm not saying that OP definitely is depressed, but suggesting they're not because the people around them can't tell, doesn't instantly 'undiagnose' them.

What. Im saying people are ignorant and cant tell if you're depressed. I also don't give a **** about celebrities and their weird lives and even weirder deaths.

Quick Reply

Latest