The Student Room Group

Stirling vs Heriot-Watt

Hi, I'm struggling to decide between these two for my secondary choice. I've applied for Computer Science at Stirling (offer BBC) and Computer Systems at Heriot-Watt (offer BBB).

Stirling represents the better choice as an insurance with lower requirements and Heriot-Watt would require me to pass a Maths module in order to switch to Computer Science from year 2 onwards, so extra hassle.

But I love the idea of living in Edinburgh (or at least much closer to it), I imagine the night-life for Heriot-Watt students is better? I'm not exactly a party animal but I worry Stirling will be a bit too sleepy with not much going on but that might be a silly misconception.

Could anyone help me out with their own opinion on these choices? Are either viewed as particularly better than eachother? I'm from NI so QUB will be my firm but I feel like my insurance is pretty important and I can't decide.
Original post by Theranis
Hi, I'm struggling to decide between these two for my secondary choice. I've applied for Computer Science at Stirling (offer BBC) and Computer Systems at Heriot-Watt (offer BBB).

Stirling represents the better choice as an insurance with lower requirements and Heriot-Watt would require me to pass a Maths module in order to switch to Computer Science from year 2 onwards, so extra hassle.

But I love the idea of living in Edinburgh (or at least much closer to it), I imagine the night-life for Heriot-Watt students is better? I'm not exactly a party animal but I worry Stirling will be a bit too sleepy with not much going on but that might be a silly misconception.

Could anyone help me out with their own opinion on these choices? Are either viewed as particularly better than eachother? I'm from NI so QUB will be my firm but I feel like my insurance is pretty important and I can't decide.

Hi Theranis!

Heriot-Watt's Computer Science Department here.

No extra hassle needed! :biggrin: The content of BSc Computer Systems and BSc Computer Science, throughout all 4 years is almost identical. Computer Science and Computer Systems students are in almost all the same classes.

They are essentially the same degree but Computer Science includes maths courses and Computer Systems doesn't.

Compare content here:
https://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/students/cs/ug-programmes/

Edinburgh is an absolutely amazing city to be a student in. There is so much going on! You get the best of both worlds at Heriot-Watt, a beautiful campus to study at with a great Student Union and then all the night-life, restaurants, pubs, café and culture you could want only a 30-minute bus ride from campus. There are 4 universities in Edinburgh so there are so many students in the city and loads of great student societies. It's just been named the best city in the world to live in by Arcadis. :u:

Edinburgh also gives you great graduate career opportunities.

Why don't you watch Elliot touring our campus and going on a night out!

[video="youtube;ocmryTCaQV4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocmryTCaQV4[/video]

We are the closest university to Edinburgh airport. It's only a 10 minute drive/taxi ride away - so handy for flying back to NI in the holidays!

We also teach both Computer Systems and Computer Science at our Dubai campus, so you would have the chance to study part of your degree out there if you fancied it.

One final thing - we are doing amazing things in Computer Science. Did you hear about us reaching the final of the Amazon Alexa Prize for the 2nd year in a row? We were the only UK university to reach the final three having overcome stiff international competition from 200 entrants!

We hope you'll choose us :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks so much for such a comprehensive reply, I really appreciate it! I'll be sure to watch that video and look a bit more in to comparing course content.

Quick Reply

Latest