The Student Room Group

How many extra years can I apply for with compelling personal reasons?

I have used 3 years of student finance but did not complete my degree course. I have a lot of evidence for my compelling reasons and they genuinely are exceptional circumstances (I was a victim of violent crime before the start of my course and suffered a breakdown in my final year due to the mental illness that resulted from this.)

Does Student Finance always award 1 extra year for compelling personal reasons, or is it possible to apply for 2 years?

I would like to use the 2 extra years + 1 gift year to study a new BA, with both tuition fee loan and maintenance loan.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Scroll to see replies

Hi there.

Compelling personal reasons can be awarded for the same amount of years as you actually studied. So if you studied 2 years and had to leave due to extenuating circumstances then these 2 years would effectively be cancelled out of the equation.

It's awarded on a case by case basis so there are no strict criteria.

Thanks.
Thank you so much for your reply Mark.

Does that mean that I can get CPR for a year that I passed if I then did not complete the next year?

I should have dropped out in year 2 but I took the exams and passed, before dropping out in year 3.

Again, thanks for the info!
Hi,

I do apologise but if you were able to complete the year then we're not able to award it back. We're only able to award extra years if you didn't complete a year previously. So if you started two years, completed the first and then withdrew from the second then you could only get one year back. If you started two years and withdrew from both then, as long as we could see the right evidence, you could get two years back.

Thanks.
Reply 4
hello i wonder if you can help me too please as i have a similar issue. I had to leave half way through my gift year of study due to compelling personal reasons. I have gone back this week to complete my final semester and it turns out i cannot get my tuition fees paid, news to myself and all of the staff at my university.
I am making myself ill with worry. Please tell me what qualifies as mitigating circumstances as i was physically unable to complete my final year, i have medical evidence for this.

Thanks
Hi Ichap

If you need to appeal under compelling personal reasons to get a year back, please send us a cover letter explaining the circumstances and evidence to back this us. We can then look into this for you and see if we can provide funding.

Thanks
Reply 6
Hi,Wonder if you could help me, I had to leave university twice due to compelling personal reasons, student finance has accepted this and awarded me with another year which then makes 3 years of study. If I wanted to send another compelling reasons for the first time I had to leave would this be possible? So that would make it 4 years of study as I already have used 2 years of study previously
Original post by Ash_ox11
Hi,Wonder if you could help me, I had to leave university twice due to compelling personal reasons, student finance has accepted this and awarded me with another year which then makes 3 years of study. If I wanted to send another compelling reasons for the first time I had to leave would this be possible? So that would make it 4 years of study as I already have used 2 years of study previously

Hi Ash_ox11,

We allow you one additional year of support when calculating your future support.

That means the length of your new course plus one year minus the number of years previous study that you have undertaken.

If you have had to leave a course due to compelling personal reasons and can provide evidence, the assessors will look at this on a case by case basis, if accepted can award an additional year of support.

Thanks Rona
Reply 8
Hello, could I ask your opinion with my problem too please? I did a three year course (fully funded) but did not get the degree. I applied to another university for the same course and joined year two with full funding through CPR due to mental health. While in the second year I was diagnosed with cancer and could not complete the second year. I applied for second year funding again through CPR stating my cancer diagnosis as the reason and it was accepted. However I failed once again to complete the course as I was still receiving chemotherapy when the year started and I suffered terrible side effects. Towards the end of the academic year I also found I was pregnant. My head was all over the place and my physical condition was somewhat poor. I have applied for CPR again as I am desperate to finish my course and get my degree, but I am worried that the CPR won't be accepted because I've already had it twice. Do you think I stand a chance of being awarded funding again? Many thanks
Original post by CLHMMJM
Hello, could I ask your opinion with my problem too please? I did a three year course (fully funded) but did not get the degree. I applied to another university for the same course and joined year two with full funding through CPR due to mental health. While in the second year I was diagnosed with cancer and could not complete the second year. I applied for second year funding again through CPR stating my cancer diagnosis as the reason and it was accepted. However I failed once again to complete the course as I was still receiving chemotherapy when the year started and I suffered terrible side effects. Towards the end of the academic year I also found I was pregnant. My head was all over the place and my physical condition was somewhat poor. I have applied for CPR again as I am desperate to finish my course and get my degree, but I am worried that the CPR won't be accepted because I've already had it twice. Do you think I stand a chance of being awarded funding again? Many thanks

Hi, there are no limits to the amount of times CPR can be considered. However, CPR can only be applied once per academic year. You can make multiple CPR claims as long as they relate to different academic years.

Regards, Aisha.
Reply 10
Hi,I have attempted to study a foundation degree course twice previously. I failed the foundation year twice, (4 year degree including the foundation year), and I was awarded a gift year for this year (my 3rd attempt at a foundation course). They awarded me this year according to my CPR for last year. I am finding it really hard completing my year as my compelling reasons have not improved. I intend to withdraw from this year enrol onto a similar course except it is a 3 year course instead of the original 4 year course I have been trying to complete. If I applied for CPR in respect to this current academic year (which was awarded as a gift year) would I be granted funding for the first year of my new 3 year course?
Original post by Fabsmat
Hi,I have attempted to study a foundation degree course twice previously. I failed the foundation year twice, (4 year degree including the foundation year), and I was awarded a gift year for this year (my 3rd attempt at a foundation course). They awarded me this year according to my CPR for last year. I am finding it really hard completing my year as my compelling reasons have not improved. I intend to withdraw from this year enrol onto a similar course except it is a 3 year course instead of the original 4 year course I have been trying to complete. If I applied for CPR in respect to this current academic year (which was awarded as a gift year) would I be granted funding for the first year of my new 3 year course?

Hi,

If you're accepted for compelling personal reasons (CPR) again for this current year and then move on to study a three year degree course we would expect you to receive student finance for the duration of the course. You would need to provide further evidence to show that the situation that impacted your studies previously has not improved and is the reason for your withdrawal.

Thanks,
Chris
Reply 12
Hi Chris, thank you for your response. Does that mean that with 2 years previous study for a 4 year course (the 2 foundation years that I subsequently failed), and then the additional gift year awarded to me, if I applied for CPR again for this year I could still get funding for the entire 3 year duration of the course I plan to move to? Just trying to clarify as I am not sure how the formula works exactly. I spoke to an advisor at SFE who informed me that I would only get funding for the last year as and the 2nd year (if my CPR is accepted this year) but not the first 2 years.
New 3 year course+1=4 years funding and then minus the 3 years previous study (2 years on the foundation years and then a year for the gift year)= 1 year of funding left which is applied to the last year.He then informed me if my CPR was accepted it would only be applicable to the 2nd year of my course, but I will not get funding for the first.You can see why I am a little confused..Many thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Fabsmat
Hi Chris, thank you for your response. Does that mean that with 2 years previous study for a 4 year course (the 2 foundation years that I subsequently failed), and then the additional gift year awarded to me, if I applied for CPR again for this year I could still get funding for the entire 3 year duration of the course I plan to move to? Just trying to clarify as I am not sure how the formula works exactly. I spoke to an advisor at SFE who informed me that I would only get funding for the last year as and the 2nd year (if my CPR is accepted this year) but not the first 2 years.
New 3 year course+1=4 years funding and then minus the 3 years previous study (2 years on the foundation years and then a year for the gift year)= 1 year of funding left which is applied to the last year.He then informed me if my CPR was accepted it would only be applicable to the 2nd year of my course, but I will not get funding for the first.You can see why I am a little confused..Many thanks

Hi,

The calculation that you have explained is correct based on your previous study. To clarify, we would use 3 (New course length) + 1 3 (your years of previous study) = 1 (The one year of standard entitlement you have remaining.

The one year would always (regardless of any CPR awarded) go to your final academic year. Without taking the CPR into account, this would mean the first two years of your three year course would be blocked for a Tuition Fee Loan.

Once we do consider the CPR evidence, if we receive acceptable evidence and we are able to award the additional support, we award this to the first year(s) of the course. If we have just one year of CPR evidence, we will apply this to award the Tuition Fee Loan to the very first year of the course. Only when the first year has been awarded, will we then consider additional evidence for a second year.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Becca.
I was wondering if sickness of a close family member is counted as compelling circumstances? If so what evidence would I have to provide
Original post by Danawojcik
I was wondering if sickness of a close family member is counted as compelling circumstances? If so what evidence would I have to provide

Hi, this is something we can look to accept and for this you can send a letter from the university or a doctor confirming the situation that occurred. Thanks, Aaron.
Hello,I was wondering if you would be able to answer my query in regards to CPR. I have applied for university to do a top up degree, SFE have calculated that I have had 5years of previous study and therefore not entitled to a tuition fee loan for the top up degree year. I originally went to uni when I was 18, left after the first year, returned in 2013 when I was 25 however did not complete my degree, taking a considerable amount of time off ill in my third year and being unable to return due to my mental health. I did gain a DipHE and so wish to top this up to a BA Hons before doing a PGCE.As I was not able to complete my degree due to health issues, I have asked my GP to provide me with a letter in order to present this to SFE as CPR. Before going through the stress of appealing SFEs decision, are you able to tell me if this is something that is likely to be accepted, resulting in me getting an additional loan for one years tuition fees in order to fund my top up degree?Many thanks
Original post by Unikittie
Hello,I was wondering if you would be able to answer my query in regards to CPR. I have applied for university to do a top up degree, SFE have calculated that I have had 5years of previous study and therefore not entitled to a tuition fee loan for the top up degree year. I originally went to uni when I was 18, left after the first year, returned in 2013 when I was 25 however did not complete my degree, taking a considerable amount of time off ill in my third year and being unable to return due to my mental health. I did gain a DipHE and so wish to top this up to a BA Hons before doing a PGCE.As I was not able to complete my degree due to health issues, I have asked my GP to provide me with a letter in order to present this to SFE as CPR. Before going through the stress of appealing SFEs decision, are you able to tell me if this is something that is likely to be accepted, resulting in me getting an additional loan for one years tuition fees in order to fund my top up degree?Many thanks

Hi, you can find more information on CPR here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
Mental health is a valid reason. We can't state whether or not it will be accepted because it's up to our assessors once they review your evidence. It currently takes 25 working days to review CPR evidence.
Thanks, Isaac
Hello, I’m hoping you can help me.I am in a similar situation.I have had 3 years previous study, 1 year of which I was awarded CPR.I started a new 3 year course last year but only had 2 years remaining which would be awarded to years 2 and 3. I have since applied and been awarded CPR again so my tuition fees for my first year on the new course have been paid. Am I still not entitled to year 2 and 3 tuition fees to be paid?
Original post by Srichards07
Hello, I’m hoping you can help me.I am in a similar situation.I have had 3 years previous study, 1 year of which I was awarded CPR.I started a new 3 year course last year but only had 2 years remaining which would be awarded to years 2 and 3. I have since applied and been awarded CPR again so my tuition fees for my first year on the new course have been paid. Am I still not entitled to year 2 and 3 tuition fees to be paid?

Hi, what is the length of your new course? Our calculation is ; length of new course + one additional year - previous study = entitlement.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending