The Student Room Group

Jacob rees Mog is right.

This vote of confidence has put may in a much worse position.
As it shows clearly how divided her own party is.

As it stands 200 MPs will follow the Torry whip for bills to be passed.
How can she hope to get anything done?
She needs around 350 ish I think to get a bill through.

Heck as it stands Jeremy Corbyn has more of a majority then her lol.

Am I wrong? Because the news seems to be just saying she won and the erc are the evil bad guys.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

172 to 40. 81% of Labour MPs voted against Corbyn.

117 to 200. 37% of Tory MPs voted against May.

200 beats 40.
Reply 2
Original post by Notoriety
172 to 40. 81% of Labour MPs voted against Corbyn.

117 to 200. 37% of Tory MPs voted against May.

200 beats 40.

I was under the impression that he had an election regarding this in which his vote increased. Seemed to shut up any who questioned his leadership for the most part.
Either way may as it stands only has 200 MPs she can relie on and the Dup won't help her.
Original post by adam277
I was under the impression that he had an election regarding this in which his vote increased. Seemed to shut up any who questioned his leadership for the most part.
Either way may as it stands only has 200 MPs she can relie on and the Dup won't help her.

And no motion of no confidence in the commons yet, cos it would mean giving Labour power or a fractured government which could not effectively negotiate before exit day (i.e. Labour having to struggle with a deal with SNP, Libs, Greens, and some Tories/DUP; and get the blame when it all goes tits up). No one wants to kill the Government, including Corbyn and DUP, because no one wants to be responsible to see this death curse across the finishing line.
idc about this voting stuff.

if corbyn becomes prime minister does that mean uni gonna be free?
Reply 5
No-one's going to pretend that things are rosy, but ultimately she won by a solid margin and certain elements within the party should get behind her and stop their self-indulgent pissing about when important things are happening.
I think we are heading for a WTO brexit, a lovely, happy, brexit.
Original post by adam277
This vote of confidence has put may in a much worse position.
As it shows clearly how divided her own party is.

As it stands 200 MPs will follow the Torry whip for bills to be passed.
How can she hope to get anything done?
She needs around 350 ish I think to get a bill through.

Heck as it stands Jeremy Corbyn has more of a majority then her lol.

Am I wrong? Because the news seems to be just saying she won and the erc are the evil bad guys.

You need 324 to win a vote if everyone votes on it as Sinn Fein don’t take their 6 seats.

May is fine on domestic legislation just not on brexit and that’s the same as before.
Reply 8
Original post by paul514
You need 324 to win a vote if everyone votes on it as Sinn Fein don’t take their 6 seats.

May is fine on domestic legislation just not on brexit and that’s the same as before.

The difference is no one knew how many tories supported her. Now we all know and it's not a lot.

Looks like the EU wont bend. Which is funny as they want to put all the onus on the UK to prevent a hard border but don't seem to understand that the onus is on them as well as it is the EU that will have to make that border.
No one wants a border apart from the EU who says it is to protect their economy. Then they have the balls to say we wont let our Irish friends down.

I'm starting to feel like crashing out of the EU is the best option.
Original post by adam277
The difference is no one knew how many tories supported her. Now we all know and it's not a lot.

Looks like the EU wont bend. Which is funny as they want to put all the onus on the UK to prevent a hard border but don't seem to understand that the onus is on them as well as it is the EU that will have to make that border.
No one wants a border apart from the EU who says it is to protect their economy. Then they have the balls to say we wont let our Irish friends down.

Welcome to the club
Reply 10
Original post by adam277

But the Brexiteers told us that we were bigger and more powerful than the EU put together and they would give us a great deal because they'd be mad not to.
Reply 11
Original post by DSilva
But the Brexiteers told us that we were bigger and more powerful than the EU put together and they would give us a great deal because they'd be mad not to.

Common sense would suggest finding a deal that would work out better for the EU and the UK this is doable.
But obviously the EU doesn't want this as it would mean other countries would want the same.

I think if we switched sides and done a trade deal with the US it would work out better for us in the long run.
More spending on our ports would be nessacry and we would have to make our products compliant with us regulations but there will be no political aspect to it like the EU who just wants to become the United States of Europe.
If we did a trade deal with the US we wouldn't have to worry about open borders or the US justice system intervening with laws in the UK.

Obviously though we need something in place until then.
Original post by adam277
Common sense would suggest finding a deal that would work out better for the EU and the UK this is doable.
But obviously the EU doesn't want this as it would mean other countries would want the same.

I think if we switched sides and done a trade deal with the US it would work out better for us in the long run.
More spending on our ports would be nessacry and we would have to make our products compliant with us regulations but there will be no political aspect to it like the EU who just wants to become the United States of Europe.
If we did a trade deal with the US we wouldn't have to worry about open borders or the US justice system intervening with laws in the UK.

What sort of deal, do you think, would work out better for both the EU and the UK?

The UK is much smaller than both the EU and the US. Any deal made between the UK and the EU/US is going to favour the latter since they're the much more influential (economically speaking) partner.
Reply 13
Original post by adam277

I'm not sure why people are putting so much faith in getting a great trade deal with a very protectionist President.

America certainly aren't going to give us a trade deal that doesn't massively favour them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
I think we are heading for a WTO brexit, a lovely, happy, brexit.

Actually, this has made that considerably less likely. The ERG now have no real hope of replacing May with one of their own, or of wasting useful time with a leadership election.

2nd Referendum looking very much like the eventual outcome now. It's probably the only course of action a majority of MPs could be persuaded to accept. Question is whether they can co-ordinate in time.
If Rees-Mogg was right, his side would've won the vote of no confidence.

Instead May can't be opposed for another year within the Tory party.
Original post by I'mComingOxford
idc about this voting stuff.

if corbyn becomes prime minister does that mean uni gonna be free?

Dianne will be working out the sums

:h:
Original post by anarchism101
Actually, this has made that considerably less likely. The ERG now have no real hope of replacing May with one of their own, or of wasting useful time with a leadership election.

2nd Referendum looking very much like the eventual outcome now. It's probably the only course of action a majority of MPs could be persuaded to accept. Question is whether they can co-ordinate in time.

The confidence vote wasn't a victory for the remoaners, it just made the Tory parties divisions transparent, the ERG/DUP can just simply block her deal, default WTO exit on March 29th.
Original post by SHallowvale
What sort of deal, do you think, would work out better for both the EU and the UK?

The UK is much smaller than both the EU and the US. Any deal made between the UK and the EU/US is going to favour the latter since they're the much more influential (economically speaking) partner.

Canada
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
The confidence vote wasn't a victory for the remoaners, it just made the Tory parties divisions transparent, the ERG/DUP can just simply block her deal, default WTO exit on March 29th.

They can change the law and ask for extensions, give a second referendum and an election too though it’s not cut and dry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending