The Student Room Group

Did my children die because I married my cousin?

Scroll to see replies

The lesson here is marry who you like but don’t have children and sacrifice them for the sake of religion, culture and an old book.
Well did your cousin kill them or was it the blood group was to simmiler but I think cousin can go together it **** that I only have 3 girl cousin but let's say be hard puched to lower my standers to go with them kidding no for a fact they are rangers fans stick with first comment lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Occitanie

It's a sad, sad affair. Pakistan has this crippling problem called cousin marriage. Many people still do not understand that this is extremely dangerous. In the article, it really pi$$ed me of that she continued to progress with her third pregnancy without going for screening. In her own selfish desire to have a normal pregnancy, she brought a disabled child into the world who was ultimately to die. Now I am a pro-life supporter, but I also strongly believe in abortion in the case where parents are sure their child will be born with disabilities that they cannot seek treatment for.
The tragedy of this is that this is not new research and is in the public domain. Sending young women to Pakistan to marry men they have little or know knowledge of, to have children who will ultimately be born of the marriage., to please family and communities. These communities are well aware of research of this type but choose to ignore it in the name of culture and religion. They are equally responsible for these little angels losing their lives. Immoral and unnecessary.
I saw this yesterday. It’s incredibly upsetting.
Very selfish
Reply 7
It's horrible, but I'm not surprised. Cousin marriage, especially multigenerational and first cousin marriage, will obviously increase the risks of both miscarriage and having kids with diseases that will keep them from having a normal, healthy life. This is why incest is wrong.

Plus the young woman in the article sounds very brainwashed. She was forced into a marriage as a child to a man significantly older than her, and is now reluctant to leave.
At least her family are going off the idea of cousin marriage.

"And he advised her to consider the views of those in her community, many of whom were likely to oppose termination" I can't believe this was said to her when she was seeking advice. It must be terrible for her.
Original post by Biblioklept
It's a sad, sad affair. Pakistan has this crippling problem called cousin marriage. Many people still do not understand that this is extremely dangerous. In the article, it really pi$$ed me of that she continued to progress with her third pregnancy without going for screening. In her own selfish desire to have a normal pregnancy, she brought a disabled child into the world who was ultimately to die. Now I am a pro-life supporter, but I also strongly believe in abortion in the case where parents are sure their child will be born with disabilities that they cannot seek treatment for.

Cousin marriage doesn't significantly increase the risk of genetic disorders. We're talking ~5% more risk on average.

It only becomes an issue when it is repeated over many consecutive generations in a small family pool, as is often the case in Pakistani communities in the UK, due to small numbers of Pakistanis. That is why there are so many disabled Pakistani children in the UK, but not many in Pakistan itself.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Cousin marriage doesn't significantly increase the risk of genetic disorders. We're talking ~5% more risk on average.

It only becomes an issue when it is repeated over many consecutive generations in a small family pool, as is often the case in Pakistani communities in the UK, due to small numbers of Pakistanis. That is why there are so many disabled Pakistani children in the UK, but not many in Pakistan itself.

I concur. :smile:
I thought that mufti spoke a lot of sense. I took it as him telling her what she would be up against in her community. He wasn't judging her.
Original post by snugglebear
I thought that mufti spoke a lot of sense. I took it as him telling her what she would be up against in her community. He wasn't judging her.

And he is one of the leaders in that community. Veiled threat.

Yes but she didn't get a choice in the matter.She wanted to do A levels but was forced into marrying a man 10 years older than her.Thats the real problem here.Why as a society should we allow this?
The main issue for me is that she didn't want to marry the guy but it still went ahead anyway.

Original post by Seamus123
And he is one of the leaders in that community. Veiled threat.

Threat in what way?
As usually, once the Mufti's given the go ahead, anyone says anything, she can use his name and people won't say more.
He didn’t give the go ahead.
He told her to ‘think carefully’ . How many children will she have who will die while she is ‘thinking carefully.’?
He told her to think about how the community would react if she terminated. It’s all about the community and the hereafter and not about that young woman and her wellbeing.
The most striking part for me is that she didn't (and he doesn't) even believe that incest can lead to genetic deformities. That is information I'd expect every 10 year old educated here to know, but because it was the belief of her community that it is fine she just rejected that teaching as false.

It seems like disinformation is a key part of this practice.

You still get generation after generation of cousin marriage in Pakistan - more than half of marriages are to cousins. Pakistan's rate of genetic disease is very high and the government is trying to take steps against it.

Pakistan is not the only country - there's a whole 'consanguinity belt' across the Middle East where cousin marriages are >40%.
Original post by CoolCavy
Very selfish

It's usually not selfishness rather a lack of understanding, sometimes exacerbated by religious hardliners with separatist tendencies.
So many people just don't know that a tradition of marrying relatives can result in progeny born with terrible health problems.

My maternal grandfather's family were ultra traditionalist catholics and their refusal to marry outside the family led to absolutely awful tragedies with babies, young children and poor health amongst surviving descendants.
Even after my mother's father broke the endogamy tradition, he preferred to apportion responsibility to God and sin rather than generations of cousin marriage.
Probably didn't help they look like Cherie Blair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending